Tom Holland to play young Nathan Drake in Uncharted feature

1,283 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AliasMan02
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Love Tom Holland, but the fact they're entirely rewriting the film and that Naughty Dog isn't involved doesn't give me a ton of confidence:
http://io9.gizmodo.com/tom-holland-will-play-young-nathan-drake-in-the-unchart-1795432529
Murder Hornet
AG
Was this part of the franchise that Marky Mark was attached to at one point? This would make for a great movie franchise IF done right
SeattleAgJr
BOMB!
israeliag
AG
Quote:

The website claims the vast retooling of plans for the film came when Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman saw a new cut of Spider-Man: Homecoming, which has lead to not only Uncharted getting a new re-writewith Sony allegedly currently hunting for a new writer to re-do Joe Carnahan's criptbut also Homecoming star Tom Holland coming on board to play the young Drake.
Wow, that sounds like the most cliched type of stupid Hollywood executive decision.
fig96
AG
bthomas98 said:

Was this part of the franchise that Marky Mark was attached to at one point? This would make for a great movie franchise IF done right
He was, there's definitely potential if done right (as you note) but the whole project has been a mess in development.

I'm fearing the worst but hoping for the best.
AliasMan02
AG
You can't take a video game storyline and make a movie from it. All you can do is run with the core concepts.
rhutton125
AG
I think I disagree. Most video game movies take the name and characters and then immediately start making changes to it. Resident Evil comes to mind. The end result is that it doesn't even remotely resemble the source material.

I can't say I've seen a ton of video game movies, however.
jackie childs
I don't know...I think Drake (the character) is a big part of what made the Uncharted games so enjoyable. so I think as long as the film franchise (and I guess Holland now) capture that, there's no reason it can't be a lot of fun too.

and to me, nobody better captured Drake's character more than Nathan Fillion, which is why I really wish they'd done this 8yrs ago with him.
fig96
AG
So good films based on video games...

The first Tomb Raider wasn't completely awful. I guess some people like the Resident Evil films (not sure I've ever seen an entire one). Um, Hitman?

Its a short list, and the best related film I can think of is Wreck It Ralph.
rhutton125
AG
http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/05/23/why-tom-holland-as-uncharteds-nathan-drake-is-an-inspired-choice

Some decent points here.
Bruce Almighty
AG
There has never been a good video game movie. There have been some "meh, that was ok" video game movies, but even the best ones are just average when compared to other movies.

I do disagree that it's impossible to make a good video game movie, but video games have jumped from having a very thin plot to so complex, that it's almost impossible to do in one movie. I think bioshock could be an amazing movie, but it would cost a ton and take three movies to do right.
yestoast
Bruce Almighty said:

There has never been a good video game movie. There have been some "meh, that was ok" video game movies, but even the best ones are just average when compared to other movies.

Oh that's an over-reaction, I'm sure there's been at least one that was critically pa...

...Damn.
agfan2013
AG
Its an interesting choice to go with the younger Drake, outside of a few cut scenes where you see him and a couple of chapters in Uncharted 4 where you control him, you dont see much of the young Drake in the Uncharted series. So the studio wont have much to change from the video game as there isnt a lot of content/lore to begin with. I think the developer Naughty Dog not being involved at all with hurt the film, they tell great stories and develop great characters.

I mostly agree with the comment that video game plots are just too complex to do in movies, most games take in excess of 10 hours to complete and use a lot of that time to develop characters, plot, setting etc. and you just cant condense that down into 2 hours. Bioshock and Last of Us both strike me as great movie or TV series potential but I dont know if anyone in hollywood could handle that transition.
israeliag
AG
I don't buy it that you can make a good comic book movie but not a good video game movie.

I agree there haven't been good ones but how have they not figured out video game movies?
jackie childs
they need to really nail the casting of sully too. I think Bruce Campbell would be great

Powers Boothe (RIP) would've been awesome too.
fig96
AG
israeliag said:

I don't buy it that you can make a good comic book movie but not a good video game movie.

I agree there haven't been good ones but how have they not figured out video game movies?
This is a fair point and I think goes back to the characters (like most stories do).

If you've got a good main character you can write stories around them that nod to the source material and work, which is pretty much what Marvel has done.

You should be able to do that for Nathan Drake, Lara Croft, and any other more fleshed out characters that have a backstory and interesting world to explore. You'd think that would work for Assassin's Creed but apparently it didn't (have yet to see it).
fig96
AG
jackie childs said:

they need to really nail the casting of sully too. I think Bruce Campbell would be great

Powers Boothe (RIP) would've been awesome too.
Was thinking on this, Bruce Campbell is a good choice.

Maybe Woody Harrelson?
AliasMan02
AG
israeliag said:

Comic book movies are willing to take the characters and make something new, discarding the stories that exist. Video games are pretty much always more like adaptations that try to take characters from the small screen to the big screen, which doesn't work.

Resident Evil is an example of something new, I think.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.