***** American Gods Season One Discussion thread *****

6,985 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by superunknown
SeattleAgJr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I did a search and did not see another thread so....

Tonight is the premier of the first season of American Gods.

Early word is the season only covers the first 20% or so of the novel, so not sure how that will work out.

Professor Frick
AG
Was just about to cancel our Starz sub on Roku due to worthlessness, but maybe I'll keep it around for this. Crispin Glover is such an amazing screen presence I'm in just for him n
SeattleAgJr
Well, that was ... something.

Warning:
Make sure the young ones are in bed.

Harsh language, strongly sexual situations.

Unique sex scene.

Graphic prelude.
Brenner
AG
Did you read the book? I haven't seen the show yet but the prelude in the book was also pretty...graphic.
SeattleAgJr
Brenner said:

Did you read the book? I haven't seen the show yet but the prelude in the book was also pretty...graphic.
Yes, but that was 15 or so years ago.

My memory is that it is pretty damn close to those part of the book.

The Vikings... Belquis first lover, etc. All pretty graphic, if not over the top.
Hudson2508
AG
Holy *****....that was awesome. Felt really close to what I imagined when I read the book too.
YouBet
AG
After watching the trailer and hearing more about this, I must be confusing this book with something that has a similar name because I remember being ho hum about the book. The show looks good.

All I remember is some guy with a nickname laying low and traveling the country and trying to stay under the radar. It had a mild urban fantasy vibe to it but nothing much ever really happened. That helps a lot, huh?
G Martin 87
AG
Casting looks great from the trailer. I'm about halfway through the audiobook.
TyHolden
AG
Never read the book. What's with the chick sucking the dude in? That was always my greatest fear as a teenager.
SeattleAgJr
That will be explained in a later episode
Al Bula
AG
I read the book when it came out and was very underwhelmed. It started off promising but fizzled out in my opinion. I recall never fully buying into the character of Shadow. Not sure why, I just never liked him in the book.

That being said, the first episode completely blew me away.
SeattleAgJr
Headline on Drudge:
TV SEX SHOCK: MAN SWALLOWED BY VAGINA DURING INTERCOURSE...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4461808/American-Gods-sex-scene-leaves-viewers-speechless.html
Kate Beckett
AG
That was so good. You can tell Fuller is the showrunner because of the visuals and that opening. THAT scene I had to turn down bc my mother was in the next room. I knew it was coming thank goodness. Can't wait for next episode.
WES2006AG
AG
I enjoyed the first episode, maybe because I haven't read the book and have no idea where this is going. I am eager to see what happens this Sunday.
Kate Beckett
AG
I read the book this past summer and seeing it on screen is really fun.
80s Guy
SeattleAgJr said:

Headline on Drudge:
TV SEX SHOCK: MAN SWALLOWED BY VAGINA DURING INTERCOURSE...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4461808/American-Gods-sex-scene-leaves-viewers-speechless.html

Having no clue what this show is about, I want to see it for this reason alone
SeattleAgJr
FANTASTIC second episode.

Except for the three cases of man wang.

The intro with Anansi is spot on.

Also Gillian Anderson as Media is very nice.
corleoneAg99
AG
Watched ep 1 and my two main take aways were it looked cool and that I'm not sure the guy playing Shadow is a good actor...like at all.

Having listened to several show centric podcasts it seems like the show runners may be trying to keep him true to book and pretty bland but yeah, he seems painfully outclassed set across from Ian McShayne several times in that first ep. Sticking with it for now.
SeattleAgJr
corleoneAg99 said:

Watched ep 1 and my two main take aways were it looked cool and that I'm not sure the guy playing Shadow is a good actor...like at all.

Having listened to several show centric podcasts it seems like the show runners may be trying to keep him true to book and pretty bland but yeah, he seems painfully outclassed set across from Ian McShayne several times in that first ep. Sticking with it for now.
the main character is sort of a blank slate. on purpose.
corleoneAg99
AG
So say the podcasts I've listened to as well. I still think he may be a pretty bad actor. We'll see.
Kate Beckett
AG
Saw ep 2. Could've done without some of the wangs they flashed. Also loved Gillian Anderson as Media.
PooDoo
AG
Non book reader... This show reminds me of Hannibal mixed with Banshee.
superunknown
AG
Unfreaking believable.

Read the book for the first time 10+ years ago. Spent time on Neil Gaiman's forums back in the day playing the "how would they cast this" game and "how would they portray ______" etc. One episode in and i am blown away.

Love hearing some of the lines i remembered from the book.

Can't wait to see where this goes. I love the pace of it...thinking they're going to treat the book right. They made Audrey into a more sympathetic character than Gaiman did in the book, imo.

Also i think Bilquis's date was the guy who played Hoops McCann's best friend in "One Crazy Summer."
SeattleAgJr
1. I predict Starz will have a jihad declared on it after today.
2. Nothing like hairy man butt.
3. The fire ejaculation........
superunknown
AG
Ahh must be that Jinn story. Was wondering how/if they would portray that.
SeattleAgJr
superunknown said:

Ahh must be that Jinn story. Was wondering how/if they would portray that.
in all of its described glory.

literally.

more man wang for those that are keeping score.
superunknown
AG
Still digging the pace so far. Czernobog is great and i liked the moon sister scene. The bank scene was pretty good too. One of my favorites in the book and done well on screen.

I do not grant wishes. :|

SeattleAgJr
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/05/14/american-gods-just-aired-tv-s-most-explicit-gay-sex-scene-ever

Progress is measured in watershed moments.

Billy Crystal plays the first openly gay TV character on Soap. Ellen is first the openly gay lead of a sitcom. Kurt and Blaine lose their virginity on Glee. Mitch and Cam get married on Modern Family.

"Gay" shows like Queer as Folk, The L Word, and Looking depict gay sex that is actually hot, How to Get Away With Murder features anilingus in primetime, and, now, two Muslim men go at it for four intense, romantic, boner-filled minutes on American Gods. (Folks, you see the boner.)

It's incredibly sexy. And, yes, every second of it is important, down to the part where one guy ejaculates flames into the other.

superunknown
AG
Its a shame that a 5 minute throwaway world building scene early in the run is drawing so much attention. All this hair on fire omgomgomghotdirtymanonmanmuslimsex and wgas. The opening scene wasnt even from the book and it did far more to develop something for the future than the jizzing jinn scene.
Tonyperkis
AG
Are there people who haven't read the book, that like this show? I've been watching it and although it is beautiful to look at and somewhat intriguing, I haven't really felt hooked in by any of the story or characters.
SeattleAgJr
it is a slow burn as a book as well.
not much action per se, but a lot of experiences.

from what I understand the first will only cover the first quarter or so of the book.
Kate Beckett
AG
Finally caught up. Wow what an episode.
superunknown
AG
Tonyperkis said:

Are there people who haven't read the book, that like this show? I've been 9watching it and although it is beautiful to look at and somewhat intriguing, I haven't really felt hooked in by any of the story or characters.

I think it would be very difficult to watch this show without any background. I really didnt understand it on first read till the House on the Rock scene which, from what I've read online, might be the season 1 finale.
Tonyperkis
AG
Yeah, I may hold off until the season is done and listen to reviews before investing more time. I'm just not getting much out of the show without the book context.
superunknown
AG
The show probably works better as a series binge than a weekly episodic show.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.