**SIAP - American Assassin**

1,539 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by trip
94DallasAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Official Trailer - 9/15/2017

Vince Flynn, the author of the book series, has long been one of my favorite writers. His Mitch Rapp series being one of the best black ops style book series going.

It's too bad it took Hollywood so long to make this into a move. Vince Flynn passed in 2013 from cancer and won't get to see his books finally on the big screen.

That said, I'm really excited for this movie. I've read all the books, including the 2 new ones written by Kyle Mills.

The movie is actually based on the 11th book in the series in which Flynn did a prequel of sorts finally telling the back story of how Mitch became Mitch.
cgh1999
AG
I saw the trailer last week and started re-reading the books in chronological order. I'm on #6. I can't wait to see the movie.
94DallasAG
AG
Got my tickets for tonight.

I'll report back in the morning. Reviews are mixed so far.

Being a huge fan on Vince Flynn I hope it does justice to him and his family. RIP...
AggieUSMC
AG
Saw it last night.

If you're expecting a faithful adaptation of the book you'll be woefully disappointed. If you're expecting a high paced action flick (though full of cliche's) with the right balance of explosions, car chases, well choreographed fights, and large body count, you'll be satisfied.

The acting and cinematography was good. The screenplay sucked.

Good movie. Could have been a lot better with more talented screenwriting.

My score 7.5/10
Big Cat `93
AG
I can tell from the trailers that they updated the timeline by using the attack on the beach rather than Lockerbie as the impetus for Rapp's mission.
94DallasAG
AG
Noticed that too but I guess they had too.
AggieUSMC
AG
The updated timeline is far from the only deviation from the book.
rhutton125
AG
I liked the trailer. Sucks that it may end up being generic but I'll check it out someday.
94DallasAG
AG
I hear Stan (Keaton) steals the screen in the shots he's in.
Big Cat `93
AG
No matter how different it is from Flynn's work, it'll never be as bad as casting Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. That's just insulting.
AggieUSMC
AG
The casting was fine. No complaints. The dialogue was third rate and the plot was very generic action movie cookie cutter stuff.
c-jags
94DallasAG said:

I hear Stan (Keaton) steals the screen in the shots he's in.

Keaton's resurgence the last few years is amazing.
Murder Hornet
AG
Watched it tonight
- they nailed Rapp's zero ****s given disregard for authority
- Keaton was awesome as Hurley
- a bit action-movie cliched at times
-not quite as bad ass with gun play compared to John Wick
Really fun movie
PatAg
AG
Cast 3 great actors for your star roles, always a good call
94DallasAG
AG
I agree with all of your points.

What I really liked is that the action/fight/chase scenes weren't over the top Hollywood unbelievable Ala the last Bourne movies Vegas scene.

I also thought ending was classic Rapp and hopefully we see another one where they can continue to develop his character.
AggieUSMC
AG
Quote:

- they nailed Rapp's zero ****s given disregard for authority

Disagree. While both were willing to disobey orders, there was a method to book Rapp's madness. He had a well thought out reason for his actions. Movie Rapp was just a loose cannon who acted on raw emotion and avoided the consequences of his actions through dumb luck.
Picadillo
The movie unapologetically shows radical Islam and Iranian leadership as a real nuclear threat, for which I found a refreshing change from the usual politically correct crap coming out of Hollywood. Recommend.
Houston Lee
AG
I went to the movie last night on a whim not knowing the background of the film.

I have read all the Mitch Rapp books over the years and I am a big fan.

In the first scene of the movie on the beach and his girlfriend calls him "Mitch Rapp" clued me in right away. I was like "holy crap, they made a Mitch Rapp movie"

At once I was trying to remember which book the movie was based on and soon realized it was the one that traced Mitch back to his origins/back story.

I really enjoyed the movie and I thought that Keaton was an awesome Hurley. I just hope that Keaton can keep his health over the years so he can play the role in what I am sure will be more movies.
The Anchor
AG
I caught this movie this afternoon. It was really cheesy. I laughed a lot. The first half was decent and then they went all clich with the rest. I would not recommend watching it.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
So I just finished the book, and I'm guessing Taylor Kitsch's character is new? Haven't seen the movie yet, but I can't figure out where he'd come into play.
cmk10
AG
Went and saw it on Saturday night and i have read the books and didnt think the adaptation of the book was handled well at all.... Like another guy said above, he had no reason to not listen to orders and was a loose cannon unlike how he is in the books. I wish they would have just followed the books story-line. I didnt like how they portrayed Victor at all either.
trip
AG
Saw it last night. Agree with above. Making Mitch Rapp an emotional mess with reactionary tendencies is not what made the Mitch Rapp characters in the book so good. Book Mitch Rapps lack of obeying authorities was due to his desire to get things done right.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.