John Williams vs Hans Zimmer: Star your favorite

8,046 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by StinkyPinky
tamuangry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
John Williams
tamuangry
Hans Zimmer
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I absolutely love Zimmer.

But JW is GOAT.
tamuangry
As I said in another thread, I like them both but I would have to give the nod to Hans Zimmer for me personally. The staggering amount of nominations for Williams is why he is considered by many to be the best. I for one was impressed that he composed the music for Fiddler on the Roof as one of his earlier works. Williams has a way of capturing the essence of the movie, clear example would be Jurassic Park theme. But I like what Zimmer has done capturing that epic feeling, climax / ending to inception would be my example.
Red Five
AG
Bruh
The Collective
AG
I voted Williams, because he is the composer of films that shaped my childhood. It's hard to defeat that.

Williams' music is personal, inspiring, and very helpful in telling the thematic story of the film's characters. Zimmer's music is gritty, epic, and great at bringing the audience's mood in line with the film.
The final 15 minutes of Inception is a pure emotion-packed adrenaline rush, and it's captured in the music perfectly.
Mr. White
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I absolutely love Zimmer.

But JW is GOAT.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I love Zimmer's score for Gladiator, Pirates, and Lion King. Interstellar is also fantastic.

Williams - Don't really need to mention anything.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just to create some more discussion - what is y'alls favorite John Williams score?

I have to go with E.T. Been a favorite of mine since I was a kid.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Just to create some more discussion - what is y'alls favorite John Williams score?

Raiders
The Collective
AG
Ewok Celebration and Finale
3rdGen2015
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's a tough one, he's done so much good stuff.

My single favorite track would have to be Binary Sunset for sure but picking a single score is hard to do. I think I would probably pick one of the Harry Potter movies, but I would have to go listen to them individually to figure out which one I would pick.
heddleston
AG
Zimmer gets the win from me for no other reason than his work with Backdraft allowed for this moment:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Corporal Punishment
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I will choose John Williams in the poll.

As for my favorite score, that is kinda like asking me to choose between milk chocolate and triple chocolate ice cream. I think it really depends on my mood - sometimes it will be any of the Star Wars scores, or Raiders, or the Last Crusade, or Superman, Jaws, 1941, Hook ....
rhutton125
AG
I cheated and starred both
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Mozart or Beethoven??

Splitting hairs here. I starred Hans Zimmer but fully admit it is likely due to recency bias. JW certainly has the some of the more iconic scores, but Zimmers, IMHO, are more "epic". I cant describe it. I mean, Gladiator, Tears of the Sun, Backdraft, Inception are all incredible and give me chills listening to them. JW is the man though, both are both incredible.
Bunk Moreland
I think Jurassic Park is the best film score of all time so I guess that means I vote Williams....but man I love Zimmer's style.
Bunk Moreland
And I guess I would say this...

Williams uses his scores to present almost an entire new element to a film. It's a fleshed out character almost.

Zimmer is embedded within the structure of the movie. At times you don't even realize it's music, and it's done so incredibly well, then out of nowhere you just realize "oh ****, the music is what's pushing me through this scene or drawing this emotion."

Hard to describe it correctly.
Rex Racer
AG
We're damn lucky to have them both. If I had to pick one, it would be John Williams, but I absolutely love them both.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Rex Racer said:

We're damn lucky to have them both. If I had to pick one, it would be John Williams, but I absolutely love them both.
Agreed.

Zimmer's scores are awesome. I love his scores for the Batman movies, Interstellar, The Last Samauri, Gladiator ... He has been probably the most prolific composer in recent years. Often times I am watching a movie without knowing who did the score, and then I will hear a note that announces Zimmer's presence.

The difference between these two is that, I believe, Williams' scores often tell a story on their own. Somebody mentioned Binary Sunset. That piece showing up in The Force Awakens is what has me convinced of a familial link between Luke and Rey. Or that clip that Harrison Ford mentions in the video above, with the cue Marion's Theme telling the emotional story of that moment in Raiders. I am just hoping that Williams lives long enough to complete the score for Episode IX. Any other Star Wars movies will be in competent hands with Michael G (I did really like his score for Rogue One) or whoever else steps up to the plate.
The Collective
AG
I thought the Rogue One score was fine (not great but fine). I'm sure Michael Giacchino will produce better work if given the chance in the SWU with a more consistent story and under a normal deadline. Jyn's Theme and Master Switch were both well done... Master Switch in particular reminded me more of Zimmer than Williams.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Williams could of died 20 years ago and he'd still be #1.
Madmarttigan
AG
The rogue one score is my biggest complaint about that movie but from reading about it I know he had limited time so I will give him a break.

I starred Zimmer not because I think he is better but I enjoy listening to his work more. I think we as movie goers are lucky and priveledged that we have both to even argue about. They both elevate the movies they are a part of.

Ironically enough the Star Wars prequels may be some of my favorite Williams songs to listen to despite the flaws in the movies the soundtracks are amazing.

By the way we need more threads on soundtrack music . For you Zimmer fans check out two steps from hell and audiomachine.
SeattleAgJr
tv1113 said:

For you Zimmer fans check out two steps from hell and audiomachine.
Taking a crap while listening to Two Steps From Hell results in some of the most epic craps of all time! You leave the bathroom feeling like you could take on the world!
G Martin 87
AG
JW for me. As for my favorite theme, I'll go with The Asteroid Field from TESB. It never fails to give me goosebumps when the music swells.
Madmarttigan
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

tv1113 said:

For you Zimmer fans check out two steps from hell and audiomachine.
Taking a crap while listening to Two Steps From Hell results in some of the most epic craps of all time! You leave the bathroom feeling like you could take on the world!

I have to admit I've never taken it to that level lol.
Raptor
AG
When my kids are testing in class I have the Amazon Prime Music playlist of John Williams on in the background.
Yoda
AG
Zimmer is one of the all time greats. Williams is THE all time great.

Just look at a list of his 10 most memorable scores (arguably) of the last ~40 years, alone. I'm even going to handicap him by bundling franchises into one.

1. Jaws
2. Star Wars saga
3. Superman
4. Close Encounters
5. Indiana Jones
6. E.T.
7. Home Alone
8. Jurassic Park
9. Schindler's List
10. Harry Potter

Nobody else is close, IMO. It's not a question of whether he is the greatest film composer of all time. The real question is whether he might be the greatest music composer of all time.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
John Williams > Beethoven
Professor Frick
AG
Quote:

The real question is whether he might be the greatest music composer of all time.

If that's the real question, the real answer is no.
Yoda
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Honest question, as I really have no knowledge of this ... but who has reached more ears? Beethoven and other classical composers, or John Williams?

I get that the classical composers' music has been around for much longer than anything JW has done, but did any of those guys ever have millions of people listening to their work?
powerbelly
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Honest question, as I really have no knowledge of this ... but who has reached more ears? Beethoven and other classical composers, or John Williams?

I get that the classical composers' music has been around for much longer than anything JW has done, but did any of those guys ever have millions of people listening to their work?
I would bet Beethoven.

I can't imagine anyone not having heard at least a small part of his work. Cartoons, commercials, etc all have used something from him.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.