*** THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI ***

23,136 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
snowdog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
superunknown said:

snowdog90 said:

Sam Rockwell's character is totally unbelievable. Somehow, the old chief of police in nowhere, Missouri has a hot 20-something Australian wife....

1) what part of Rockwell's character was unbelievable? 1st half or 2nd half?

2) seems like woman being disposable was an underlying theme. I can believe the old police chief has a young hot wife as easily as i can believe Charlie has a hot 19 year old slam piece. Small towns are full of that.

Also shout to John Hawkes as Charlie. Dustin Powers lives again.

Reverse shout out to whoever censored/overdubbed friendlier language for the United IFE version of the film. I feel like it was a different person overdubbing the curse words every time even for the same characters

1. None of it was believable. He's a total scumbag racist do-nothing, should be in jail, then PRESTO, he's the good guy because dead Woody Harrellson says so.

2. So women being disposable is the theme, but the writer himself goes out of his way to write in two incredibly stupid, shallow women in the Ex's girlfriend and the girl that works for the guy that got put in the hospital. Why?

I'm just really amazed that this movie is up for so many Oscars. It's not good.
snowdog90
To think, this movie is up for Best Picture and Blade Runner 2049 is not. That is a joke.
Bunk Moreland
I enjoyed blade runner for what it was, but I think this was the better film.
snowdog90
Bunk Moreland said:

I enjoyed blade runner for what it was, but I think this was the better film.
That's cool. Obviously, many people liked this movie, but I really did not. Sadly, as I am getting older, this is happening more and more often. I remember at age 17 or so telling my Grandma how awesome Karate Kid was. I was so surprised when she told me how much she hated it. I could not understand how someone could not like Karate Kid. Now I'm that person that craps on most movies that seemingly everyone else is gushing over. Oh, well.
Bunk Moreland
I'll say this... Walking out of the movie I absolutely knew many folks wouldn't like it and understood why, if that makes sense.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Absolutely loved this movie.
superunknown
AG
snowdog90 said:

superunknown said:

snowdog90 said:

Sam Rockwell's character is totally unbelievable. Somehow, the old chief of police in nowhere, Missouri has a hot 20-something Australian wife....

1) what part of Rockwell's character was unbelievable? 1st half or 2nd half?

2) seems like woman being disposable was an underlying theme. I can believe the old police chief has a young hot wife as easily as i can believe Charlie has a hot 19 year old slam piece. Small towns are full of that.

Also shout to John Hawkes as Charlie. Dustin Powers lives again.

Reverse shout out to whoever censored/overdubbed friendlier language for the United IFE version of the film. I feel like it was a different person overdubbing the curse words every time even for the same characters

1. None of it was believable. He's a total scumbag racist do-nothing, should be in jail, then PRESTO, he's the good guy because dead Woody Harrellson says so.

2. So women being disposable is the theme, but the writer himself goes out of his way to write in two incredibly stupid, shallow women in the Ex's girlfriend and the girl that works for the guy that got put in the hospital. Why?

I'm just really amazed that this movie is up for so many Oscars. It's not good.

1) my experience with small town cops fits in line with the 1st half. Agree with 2nd half..people dont change like that.

2) agree but it seems to reinforce my point. Seemingly the only woman with any depth/character was Mildred. Wonder if that was the point.
Al Bula
AG
This movie was pretty entertaining. I scanned this thread and didn't see it mentioned (unless I missed it) but the creepy dude who beat up Sam Rockwell is Warren from Empire Records.

Post removed:
by user
TriAg2010
AG
LCE said:

Not a good movie. Read it was a dark comedy, yet not one funny part.

Oh come on. You didn't laugh at this scene:

Mildred: "So what can't you put on a billboard? ****, ****, or ****?"

Red: "Or ***"
BQ78
AG
In the case of the ex's new girlfriend, I think that was the irony the story teller was going for, that even though she was a bit shallow and not too bright, she was the one that picked up on the theme of the story quicker than the other supposedly seasoned characters, i.e. that anger begets anger ( even if she did get it off of a bookmark).
The Anchor
AG
I just watched this movie. It was great.
CapCityAg89
AG
I really liked this movie. But I don't agree that it's a comedy. Fargo was a comedy. This was a dark drama with comedic moments.

My read on "the guy" - he didn't do it but he likely did something in the "sandy country". Then, he was in town and heard about what was going on. Got turned on in a serial killer kind of way and was planning to kill Mildred (assuming it would be blamed on someone tied to the police chief). Was interrupted by the chiefs wife - saved her life.

Great film in part because of that ambiguity and the fact nothing is really resolved.
CapCityAg89
AG
Oh. And shout out to Alaska Air for not dubbing the cuss words.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Great flick. Tried to watch Ladybird on Saturday and got bored after twenty minutes. This was the Sunday movie re-do and just a fantastically acted film. The progression of Sam Rockwell for me was the highlight.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.