Jason Isbell - The Nashville Sound

9,115 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RABAg04
Jimmy McNulty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Single "Hope the High Road" is streaming

http://ew.com/music/2017/03/23/jason-isbell-hope-high-road-premiere/

A little political for my taste. Hopefully the whole album doesn't go down that road.
Ag_07
AG
Agree on political aspect.

But I do like the heavy rock influence and the band having a prominent role.

Looking forward to hearing the rest.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Another track on the album is called "White Man's World" or something similar...

....great.
JoCoAg09
AG
I mean...he is a democrat. Some of that is bound to come through his music.
AgLaw
AG
I've never cared about any artist's politics. Great music is great music. Great lyrics are great lyrics.

If liberal musicians aint your thing, you'd be missing out on some of the best music ever made - Woody Guthrie, all four Beatles individually and as a group, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, U2, Nirvana, and - yes - Jason Isbell, just to scratch the surface.
TxKng82
AG
I know some of those lyrics were political but that wasn't too bad at all. On the surface could've been about multiple things. Don't mind that. I try to ignore politics for the most part but it's hard sometimes when it takes over the lyrics too much. Stopped listening to Steve Earle because of that.
AggieSouth06
Hey that doesn't sound like it was recorded on a 4-track in a bathroom!

It sounds like it was recorded onto an actual console... in a bathroom.

I really do love Jason's songs but the lo-fi, cheap production drives me f***ing bonkers.
FL_Ag1998
AG
That's a good song, politics be damned. As usual Isbell can cut to the heart of the subject of his song with a clarity and genuineness that 99% of songwriters in the business would love to possess.
Cancelled
AG
Meh...he's a good song writer, but the singing where he is quiet and then really loud...so played.
Btron
AG
I think we have a new hit Republician song thanks to Mr. President's recent comments. "If you don't vote today Obamacare is here to stay"
Ag_07
AG
TxKng82 said:

I know some of those lyrics were political but that wasn't too bad at all. On the surface could've been about multiple things.

After listening to it on XM radio I'm gonna go with this.

The video with the torn up flag and all sends some pretty strong political overtones but just the lyrics over the radio aren't as bad.

I like it
Jimmy McNulty
AG
I agree for the most part. I just don't like the "us vs them" when a few of the lyrics are pretty on the nose about what he's referring to. It will never ruin him as an artist for me because he's so great. I just hope he doesn't go overboard and start sounding preachy, because that's not what turned me on to his music in the first place. His deep meaning lyrics about personal struggle and life experience resonate most with me. Unfortunately, his life experience differ from mine, at least politically, but his stuff is too good to ignore.
AgLaw
AG
Btron said:

I think we have a new hit Republician song thanks to Mr. President's recent comments. "If you don't vote today Obamacare is here to stay"
Obamacare Blues
By: Donald J. Trump

People don't like payin'
For other folks' insurance
I'll sign the bill
You've got my assurance

But you rascals in Congress
Can't make up your minds
What it is you want
Repeal or unwind

Well, I can tell you now
If you don't vote today
Obamacare
Is here to stay
Gigem314
AG
Ag_07 said:

Agree on political aspect.

But I do like the heavy rock influence and the band having a prominent role.

Looking forward to hearing the rest.
Yeah I love what they're doing instrumentally. Lots of gritty guitar and acoustic you can actually hear throughout the song...not "overly produced" that's too vocal/drums/bass heavy.

I respect musicians that question authority. I just find it disheartening that it only comes out when when the democrats aren't in power. I feel like rock should question authority regardless of who it is, but alas.

I can appreciate good, less-produced, music though. It's badly needed today.
swimmerbabe11
If you think that is bad, Will Hoge came out with an album called "Modern American Protest Music"

It's terrible. Music, lyrics, the whole thing.
One song is the Ballad of Trayvon Martin.

This is way better
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Oh dear God
Professor Frick
AG
AggieSouth06 said:

Hey that doesn't sound like it was recorded on a 4-track in a bathroom!

It sounds like it was recorded onto an actual console... in a bathroom.

I really do love Jason's songs but the lo-fi, cheap production drives me f***ing bonkers.

Can you point me toward a song that has this kind of cheap sound? Just trying to get an idea of what you're referring to
MattAg06
AG
Isbell writes amazing songs. His performance of them leaves something to be desired. Give me Isbell's writing with Mike Cooley singing and you've got something.

Oh that's right...I just described the old Drive-By Truckers.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
MattAg06 said:

Isbell writes amazing songs. His performance of them leaves something to be desired. Give me Isbell's writing with Mike Cooley singing and you've got something

And Isbell's wife to look at
Jim01
AG
I don't think it's too political. I think almost everyone agrees the world is divided right now and last year sucked. All he's saying is let's find a better tomorrow and take the high road doing it. What republican or democrat would disagree with that simple message?

It does sound a bit lo-fi but that's alright.

I have tickets for his Houston show and can't wait.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
I'll go with you on that.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Political or not, I just don't like the song very much. Maybe it'll grow on me.
toucan82
Gota De Limon said:

Political or not, I just don't like the song very much. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Right now I'm with you. Maybe that will change with more listens or with the entire album, but now it's just sort of there.
cc10106
I didn't care for it much, but he has set the bar pretty high. I'm sure it will be better live, but that sounds like a DBT track that didn't make the cut.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I keep trying to like him but Isbell just doesn't do it for me.
blinnboy83
the backlash caused by everyone on the internet fawning over Jason Isbell too much has begun... I like the new song though compared to the last two albums.
spadilly
S
Another new song is out:
Ag_07
AG
That's good stuff.

Isbell singing about the working class and their hardships. Also like the hard charging guitar and rock sound that he promised a while ago.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I like that one a lot more than the first song released. Still don't think it approaches anything on "Southeastern" but then again that may end up being considered an all time classic so it's hard to repeat that.

This new song has a heavy Tom Petty vibe to the tune and very Springsteen-ish lyrics.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
I'm sure I will buy the album the day it is released.
jh0400
AG
I held off on preordering once I heard Hope the High Road, but Cumberland Gap pushed me over the edge. It helps that the whole album was only $7.99.
spadilly
S
Another new one came out this morning. It's fantastic.

swimmerbabe11
Well. That was a very good song. crap.

Jason Isbell and his whole making people cry thing.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Damn I'm a sucker for sad songs
Jim01
AG
By far the best of the three so far. Just a brutal beautiful arrow to the heart.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.