New Dave Chappelle Stand-ups

5,137 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Btron
JoCoAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, he had 2 new stand-ups drop on Netflix today. I can't wait to get home and watch them tonight. Hopefully, they are on the level of Killin' Them Softly and For What It's Worth.
SbisaVictim95
AG
Looking forward to it. They've been dropping a bunch lately. Comics really like Netflix because they're not concerned with editing into an hour block and let them have a lot of freedom.
Vernada
AG
Apparently Dave got $60M from Netflix for two shows he already had done (but not released) as well as a third planned show.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Netflix.
Btron
AG
I'm torn if I should watch these or not. I have tickets to one of his shows in Austin and I'm wondering if the material will be the same or different? I'm sure there will be some overlap for sure.
I'll probably go ahead and watch it.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I hope your Chappelle in Austin experience is better than the **** show we sat through a few years ago.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Saw him in Houston a few years ago and he was on his A game. Excited to see him again tomorrow.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Houston (and I think Dallas?) got the good shows that year. The Austin crowd was so ridiculous that he just stood there and collected a paycheck. I don't blame him - it was bad. Really pissed me off because his Houston show in 2005ish was so good that my face hurt from laughing. Ten years later, I got the complete opposite.
Silver Arrows
AG
I saw him at Red Rocks a few years ago and he put on a good show.
JoCoAg09
AG
I went to the Oddball Comedy Festival in Dallas a few years back. Something upset him I guess and it was an awful show where he didn't really do much material at all. It was disappointing, but at least the rest of the acts helped make up for it.
FaceMask
Gramercy Riffs said:

I hope your Chappelle in Austin experience is better than the **** show we sat through a few years ago.

So much this. Went to San Antonio show while back and it SUCKED. Ashy Larry was better at opening.
Counterpoint
AG
FaceMask said:

Gramercy Riffs said:

So much this. Went to San Antonio show while back and it SUCKED. Ashy Larry was better at opening.
I went to a great show in San Antonio several years ago. Ashy Larry wasn't the opener though, so I guess he did multiple shows?

FaceMask
Must've been. I went last year. A Muslim Comedian was the first opener, then Ashy Larry. Dave looked really roided up, really high and drunk.
TresPuertas
AG
I'll just come here and add to what appears to be the pretty common sentiment of his recent stand up shows.

He did a really out of nowhere pop up show here in Dallas at the HOB, and to say it was odd would be quite the understatement. Basically we sat there for an hour and a half and watched what appeared to be drug induced ramblings. Some laughs, but we walked out and both said, "what the hell did we just watch"?

Here's hoping he's got his fastball back, because when he's good, he's untouchable

"Well *****, sometimes you just gotta race"
hph6203
AG
I think he went through some ****ty shows before going on a regular touring schedule, just watched the first special and it was classic Dave.
Connd
Loved them both. It was definitely him catching us up on what his thoughts on the last 10 years were. So naturally it's great.
CFTXAG10
AG
"I got quiet please money at best"
TexasAggie008
AG
Does he stay away from non stop political bs? If so, can't wait to watch
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Not really, but he doesn't get too serious about it.
'03ag
Champ Bailey said:

Not really, but he doesn't get too serious about it.
If it's similar to his SNL monologue I'll be fine with it.
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
I love his politics
TxKng82
AG
Both were pretty good. Think the first one might have been the best by a touch.

He does get somewhat political but not that bad. I was worried too cuz I can't stand that crap but he skirted the line well.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Dave was on his A game again. Effortless delivery as usual. His conversation voice is starting to fade because of the cigs, but still clear.

Mo Amir was great, but 80% of his routine was recycled from the last time he opened for Dave in 2015.

Opening chick was a C+. The jokes were there but her timing/delivery was all off. Didn't play the crowd well at all either.
Btron
AG
HNIC,
Where did you see him perform?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Houston. Revention Center. Playing another show tonight. I think he's in Austin next week for like five shows.
AMW2010
AG
Just watched the first episode on Netflix, was pretty good
CrottyKid
AG
Halfway through the first one. It is classic Chappelle.
Btron
AG
I'll be there Wednesday night.
What time did he go on? opening acts etc? Doors open at 6 which seems a little early
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
For the 10PM show, first chick went on around ten after. She did about 5-10 minutes. Second guy did about 15 minutes. Dave got done around 11:45, don't remember exactly when he started but he was on for about an hour.
GoAgs92
AG
I'm halfway through his first new special, and it's nowhere near the level he had before.

his delivery is slow, he cracks up at his own jokes too much.

However, his bar was so high back then, even at 85% he's still better than 99% of other comics.
SbisaVictim95
AG
I enjoyed the 2nd special (the Austin show) more than the first.
Trident 88
AG
I think his delivery is better than his jokes, and I have no complaints about his jokes.
Cromagnum
AG
Pretentious to not even allow phones on your person.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Cromagnum said:

Meh? I find them distracting and I'm just an audience member. I can tell you I didn't miss my phone at all and I definitely didn't miss having to tilt my head every couple of minutes just to see around somebody Snapchatting the show.

At the very least, it was funny to hear how many people were asking each other what time it was.
Quad Dog
AG
said:

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.