*** MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 6 ***

61,210 Views | 530 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rhutton125
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're still well over a year from the release, but I figured that two recent news items are worth getting a thread going for this one now...

First is last week's announcement that Superman himself, Henry Cavill, is joining the cast, which McQuarrie playfully teased on Instagram...

https://instagr.am/p/BRuN63FgRr5
HIs role is unknown, but guesses range anywhere from the villain, to Ethan Hunt's younger brother or son, to being positioned to take over the franchise (which would be ironic, considering that's what Jeremy Renner's character was originally set up to do in Ghost Protocol before Cruise decided to come back and go all in with writer/director Christoper McQuarrie). The little brother or even son angle actually might make sense, though, considering McQuarrie recently had this to say about his approach for the next movie...

Quote:

"I've seen five of these movies and I don't know who Ethan Hunt is. One movie sort of dealt with his personal life; the other movies are about people speculating what's really going on in Ethan's head. I want to know who Ethan is in this movie, I want an emotional journey for this character, and Tom really embraced it."

... so introducing some kind of family member or history there might lend itself to that idea, but who knows.

Regardless, we're apparently going to see a lot of connective tissue in this one that we haven't seen before. Not only is Rebecca Ferguson reprising her role as Ilsa Faust, but McQuarrie also promises returning characters, "including people you would not expect to be back." No word yet on Renner, Ving Rhames, and the like, but I'd expect to see many of those familiar faces as well. Additionally, newcomer Vanessa Kirby is set for a leading female role of some kind, but no idea yet if she's an actual competing love interest or more along the lines of Paula Patton's character in Ghost Protocol.

Next, however, is today's news of the apparent stunt to top all stunts, one which Cruise has spent the past YEAR training for...

http://collider.com/mission-impossible-6-stunt-tom-cruise

From producer David Ellison...

Quote:

"I will say after the Burj [Khalifa] we thought it was going to be impossible to top that stunt, and then Tom did the A380 for the plane. What Tom is doing in this movie I believe will top anything that's come before. It is absolutely unbelievablehe's been training for a year. It is going to be, I believe, the most impressive and unbelievable thing that Tom Cruise has done in a movie, and he has been working on it since right after Rogue Nation came out. It's gonna be mind-blowing."

That's pretty damn exciting, and here's one guess that might make sense...

... but no one of course knows anything for sure at this point.

Overall, I absolutely loved Rogue Nation - it's maybe my favorite of the franchise - and with writer/director Christopher McQuarrie returning (the first director to do so in the series), I could not be more excited.

The currently untitled sixth installment of the Mission: Impossible franchise hits theaters on July 27, 2018.
c-jags
Quote:

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 6

Why?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
It's rare to see a franchise get better and better with age.

The first one was a good introduction. The second is the only misstep in the series; it's almost a parody of a John Woo movie...but directed by Woo.

The third is seriously underrated. Abrams completely re-energized the series and became the template for the series. Ghost Protocol is, no kidding, just brilliant. So, so good. Rouge Nation is extremely entertaining, as well. Cruise really knows what he's doing with this series.

Personally, I can't wait for the next one.
West Point Aggie
AG
Loved the second one! ...as well as the other 4
RadAg14
AG
Enjoyed the last three
Sex Panther
AG
c-jags said:

Quote:

Why?

Cuz they're awesome?
c-jags
I mean I've liked all of them except 2 but when you're at 6 of a series aren't you kinda in Scorcher with Tug Speedman territory?
oragator
Ilsa Faust.
TCTTS
AG
I think with most other franchises, yes. But for whatever reason it doesn't feel the same here. This isn't a franchise with a "hero's journey" or anything like that where after three movies the lead character's arc is basically wrapped up. Instead, over the course of his career, Ethan Hunt has and will have countless missions and this kind of cinematic format is the perfect match for that. In other words, it fits the job, basically.

But even if that weren't the case, oragator laid out a very convincing argument...

Presley OBannons Sword
I didn't even realize there was a four and five.
Cancelled
AG
2 sucked. The rest were the jizz.
israeliag
AG
As all have said - great series. The last one not only had terrific action set pieces but each was actually critical to the plot. Due to that alone im excited for this film, too.
jabberwalkie09
AG
oragator said:

Ilsa Faust.
I'm happy she's coming back for the next one.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

Then you've missed out.
jeffk
AG
c-jags said:

Quote:

Why?

Because they said it couldn't be done.

It was a fruitless endeavour.

It was an extremely difficult undertaking.

It was an IMPOSSIBLE MISSION.

<cue burning fuse animation>
Presley OBannons Sword
Does Tom cruise run a lot? And smile/laugh super aggressively?
jackie childs
c-jags said:

I mean I've liked all of them except 2 but when you're at 6 of a series aren't you kinda in Scorcher with Tug Speedman territory?
I hear you and even agree with you for a lot of franchises. But like TCTTS said, Ethan Hunt is more like James Bond from a storytelling standpoint. So as long as they're making good films, I hope they continue.

And while I'm very interested and excited to see the next movie, I'm not at all sold on the idea of Cavill possibly taking over the franchise.
Saul Goodman
AG
Rebecca Ferguson
Murder Hornet
AG
From producer David Ellison...

Quote:

Quote:

"I will say after the Burj [Khalifa] we thought it was going to be impossible to top that stunt, and then Tom did the A380 for the plane. What Tom is doing in this movie I believe will top anything that's come before. It is absolutely unbelievablehe's been training for a year. It is going to be, I believe, the most impressive and unbelievable thing that Tom Cruise has done in a movie, and he has been working on it since right after Rogue Nation came out. It's gonna be mind-blowing."

This looks like a transcript from Donald Trump, even more so when I read it in his voice.

Agreed that this is one franchise that gets better with each installment.

The Collective
AG
I really enjoy these movies, and I will fight anyone who disagrees with me.
Guitarsoup
AG
c-jags said:

Quote:

Why?
Rogue Nation made 700,000,000 at the box office before DVD/BluRay/Rental sales.
redd38
AG
At some point we've got to admit that these missions aren't really that impossible... Maybe they should start calling them Mission: Unlikely or Mission: Hold My Beer
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Guitarsoup said:

c-jags said:

Quote:

Why?
Rogue Nation made 700,000,000 at the box office before DVD/BluRay/Rental sales.
and holds a 93% score on Rotten Tomatoes. Ghost Protocol is at 94%.
fig96
AG
Awesome stuff.

I really enjoyed Rogue Nation but I think Ghost Protocol is my fave. More Simon Pegg is never a bad thing and Renner was a great addition, and the locations on that film and the final garage sequence were fantastic. And I wouldn't mind seeing Paula Patton back, just sayin'.

And now I'm going to go home and watch one of these tonight
NColoradoAG
I'm just here for the Ilsa Faust pics
NoahAg

Me neither. Saw the first one in the theater. Late 90s, right? Then I saw one on t.v. a couple months ago. The first scene had Tom hanging on the outside of an airplane. Which one was that?
fig96
AG
NoahAg said:

Me neither. Saw the first one in the theater. Late 90s, right? Then I saw one on t.v. a couple months ago. The first scene had Tom hanging on the outside of an airplane. Which one was that?
That would be Rogue Nation (MI:5). And as mentioned, you're missing out if you haven't seen the last two.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MI2 is awesome.
mm98
AG
Never saw Rouge Nation...I liked them all, with MI2 being just okay.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Meh, I know I'm in the minority but these movies just havent done it for me since the first one. I get bored and fall asleep every time I try to watch one. Maybe its just Cruise. He's good in some roles, but just doesnt do it for me in these.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Rebecca Ferguson...yes.

I will also add that Paula Patton looked damn good:

Matt_ag98

Does Tom cruise run a lot? And smile/laugh super aggressively?
And also shoot a scene with his shirt off? No-one wants to see that crap, I swear it is in all of his contracts the last 5 years
Deputy Travis Junior
GiveEmHellBill said:

Ghost Protocol is, no kidding, just brilliant.
Watching Ghost Protocol's Burj Khalifa scene in the IMAX is seriously one of my all-time favorite movie watching memories. Brilliantly conceived, choreographed, and shot; it made you feel like you were there on the side of the building, adrenaline rush and vertigo and all.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I haven't seen them in years, and don't remember much about the plot, but I thought the second one was better than the first.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.