***Beauty and the Beast Spoiler Thread***

4,260 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AlaskanAg99
Trident 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Emma Watson was pretty enough most of the time, and her singing was surprisingly good enough, albeit with a little auto-tune help.

I thought Luke Evans nailed the part of Gaston.

In fact, the entire cast did an admirable job of living up to the original, but I'll take the cartoon any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Saw it with the wife. ****ing horrible. Emma had zero chemistry with the CGI beast, or whomever was the stand in while shooting. It was painful and up on par with the lack of chemistry with Portman and Haydenson in SW Ep 2. It was that bad. The beast CGI was bad and whomever played the villain wasn't all that great either. I would expect those under 10 to love it and I wanted to walk out but I got that *LOOK* from the wife after my 10th comment. So I ordered a cocktail and #persisted.

I haven't seen La-LA Land but I know Watson choose poorly.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Based on how much money she is making in this over what she would have made, looks like she is a genius to me
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Took my daughters to see it this weekend and they loved it. I was 17 when the cartoon was released so I never saw it until after my kids were born so there's no nostalgia element in it for me (plus I'm a guy, so...).
But I thought it was pretty well done. We enjoyed it. It was wonderful looking over at my 4 year old just completely lost in a wonderful fantasy world. She was slapping her hands on her knees to the beat and grinning ear to ear during "Be our guest". That kinda stuff makes movies like this worthwhile for me.
agnerd
AG
So far it has set records for highest grossing:

1. Fantasy Live Action over The Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings movies
2. Musical over Grease
3. Opening weekend G or PG Movie over Finding Dory
4. Opening weekend March release date over Batman v Superman
5. Opening weekend Spring release date over Batman v Superman

#4 all time Second Weekend after The Force Awakens, Jurassic World, and the Avengers which means people are seeing it more than once in theaters.

It's brought in $875 million so far worldwide, and is on pace to hit about $1.5 BILLION total. Might challenge the Avengers for second place all time Disney Movie behind The Force Awakens' $2 billion!

source
TexasAggie_02
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Just saw it.

Enjoyed it, but it was good....not great. The added scenes and songs were fine. But as another poster said, there's just something that I can't quite put my finger on.

Well, one thing was some sketchy CGI. Most of the scenes were someone was looking out a castle window, the interior didn't look right against the castle exterior. Also, some of the scenes with them walking around the grounds were quite obviously green-screened.

The best part of the whole thing IMO were LaFou and Gaston.

Also, I never got a sense as to where the castle and village were in relation to each other. At times, it took hours to travel between them, other times minutes. It was a little confusing.

They showed where the castle was during the Disney intro. It showed the village by the river at night and then panned out to the castle (replacing the Cinderella castle that they typically use). Bc of the spell, none of the villagers could see the castle unless they actually went to it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
agnerd said:

So far it has set records for highest grossing:

1. Fantasy Live Action over The Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings movies
While this is true, just want to set one thing straight.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And yeah, back when we were talking about potential box office for this, I and several others pretty much had it pegged at $1.5 billion worldwide.

Crazy thing is, Disney still has Pirates of the Carribbean, Cars 3, and a little movie called Star Wars: The Last Jedi dropping this year.

They're going to clear $5 billion.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Kind off topic but, TCTTS - any idea why the distribution company is still known as Buena Vista? Why not just change the name to Disney?

I actually thought they had but Box Office Mojo still has them labeled as Buena Vista.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/?view=company&view2=yearly&yr=2016&p=.htm
AlaskanAg99
AG
wangus12 said:

Quote:

Based on how much money she is making in this over what she would have made, looks like she is a genius to me

She's rich AF. She wants golden statues. That performance isn't worthy.
AliasMan02
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

wangus12 said:

Quote:

She's rich AF. She wants golden statues. That performance isn't worthy.

I'm not sure she has it in her. She might need to go the route of playing a serial killer or something. I think it will take a great role.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Rich or not, ultra-feminist or not....she knew what taking this role would mean to her life: she's now and forever a Disney Princess. And one of their most popular, as well.

I think that's worth skipping La La Land for. Disney immortality vs. a movie that'll only be a trivia question answer (What movie was incorrectly announced as Best Picture?).
TexasAggie_02
AG
http://observer.com/2017/03/beauty-and-the-beast-why-belle-should-have-chosen-gaston/

TLDR: Belle chose poorly and will be beheaded during the French Revolution. Should've stayed with middle-class Gaston.

Quad Dog
AG
Plus, Gaston sings about eating 5 dozen eggs everyday. He'd need a fortune to keep that many chickens to produce 5 dozen eggs a day.
https://np.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/61kmto/how_many_16th_century_french_laying_hens_would_be/dffp9p9/?context=3
AgMarauder04
AG
But he doesn't read.
AlaskanAg99
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Rich or not, ultra-feminist or not....she knew what taking this role would mean to her life: she's now and forever a Disney Princess. And one of their most popular, as well.

I think that's worth skipping La La Land for. Disney immortality vs. a movie that'll only be a trivia question answer (What movie was incorrectly announced as Best Picture?).

She needs a role where she can show some emotion and chemistry with a male lead. She was a cold fish.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.