Iron Fist

18,529 Views | 225 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Gregg Papivich
Madmarttigan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shocked that there isn't a thread up yet, did Luke Cage leave that bad of a taste in everyone's mouth?

Watched the first couple episodes, nothing too awesome nothing too bad for me yet.
Madmarttigan
AG
I also think it is interesting that critics are trashing the first half they got to preview and they loved Luke Cage which quite possibly has one of the worst villains I've ever witnessed. Diamondback is up there with Leto joker and the recent Lex imo.
Hulla Baller
AG
Sweet Christmas
Sex Panther
AG
tv1113 said:

I also think it is interesting that critics are trashing the first half they got to preview and they loved Luke Cage which quite possibly has one of the worst villains I've ever witnessed. Diamondback is up there with Leto joker and the recent Lex imo.

I hated Luke Cage but the first half villain was phenomenal... But yeah Diamondback was so bad.

I'll still watch but I think there's enough smoke to show that this isn't going to be very good at all.
AgMarauder04
AG
It's ok. Definitely the worst out of the 4 series so far, but it's enough to keep me watching for 13 episodes.
israeliag
AG
I'll have to reserve judgement until I watch it, but I guess it's just not that easy to follow up a series (Daredevil S1) put together by Drew Goddard and Steven S. DeKnight.
Sex Panther
AG
It sounds like a big problem is the fighting and that Ser Loras doesn't pull it off.

Iron Fist is supposed to be a super ninja. If that's what the character is, then they need to have some badass fighting.
Max Power
AG
Not sure if I'm going to watch if it's as bad as the critics are saying. Luke Cage had it's moments but the casting for that show for Diamondback and Shades is just awful, Shades in particular I just can't stand in any scene he's in. Makes them look that much worse considering how great Cottonmouth was, granted he did just win an Oscar.

If the fighting truly stinks then what's the point? Daredevil set the bar really high, Jessica Jones was solid, as well as the second season of Daredevil. Luke Cage was a disappointment, but I think Mike Colter does a good job so I hope they can turn it around. At least we get The Defenders next, hopefully that is a marked improvement over Luke Cage and Iron Fist.
SeattleAgJr
I got an Iron Fist last night.....
Sex Panther
AG
Does he not wear the Iron Fist uniform??

I don't know a lot about Iron Fist, but he sounds like a really cool character, and there's no denying, he's got one of the best outfits in the MCU. If he doesn't wear it then that's lame.
Max Power
AG
If you don't plan on watching Iron Fist but you do want to watch something that has a man with actual fists made of iron, I highly recommend The Man With The Iron Fists, its a lot of fun.
nickstro66
AG
A few episodes in and I've enjoyed it so far. It does start out slow though.
Brick Tamland
Starting it now. The fighting is absolutely horrible. Don't mind Loras right now. It's amazing how much I like him when he isn't fondling Renly.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Just watched the first two episodes and I'm enjoying it. The fighting is cheesy in a Ben Affleck Daredevil kind of way, but the story has been good so far.
schmendeler
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

I got an Iron Fist last night.....
i hope he was gentle.
Always_Right
AG
Watching it now, enjoy the story line so far.
AgLiving06
I'm 3 or 4 episodes in and my rankings look like this:

1. Daredevil
2. Jessica Jones

3. Iron Fist
4. Luke Cage
Jadedhamster
AG
I've enjoyed it a lot more than Luke cage and at least a little more than Jessica Jones. Nine episodes in and I'm loving it. Then again this was the series I most looked forward to after daredevil as I was already a fan of the comics
PatAg
AG
tv1113 said:

I honestly don't get how critics are all loving Luke Cage. The only explanation is that its a movie featuring a primarily black cast, so they don't want to fairly criticize it.
Trident 88
AG
2 episodes in. The writing and Ser Loras both need to improve, but it's at least as good as Luke Cage, and I made it all the way through that season.

Too bad they didn't cast the sand viper who wasn't shy about showing off her nice set of tatas, but I guess they wanted an Asian.
nickstro66
AG
Ser Loras gets a lot better as the season goes on
AgLiving06
nickstro66 said:

Ser Loras gets a lot better as the season goes on
agreed. The more the season goes on, the more this separates itself from Luke Cage at the bottom.

It doesn't have the overall power of Daredevil or the villain of Jessica Jones, but it's better than Luke Cage.
rhutton125
AG
Thoughts after 5 episodes:

I thought episode 4 was the best of the bunch, but 5 was kind of a step back. Critics spoke highly of episode 6 though so maybe it will tick back up.

The fighting is hit or miss. I like Danny but I don't like the idea of making the entire first 3 episodes dedicated to the civilian / business side and very, very little to the Iron Fist / Marvel side. Also, for a guy who is a living weapon and trained his whole life to fight the Hand, he seems like he is easily countered by your average goons. Danny needs to up his game big time, as does the fight choreography, and the general pacing.

Also, I'm watching this while playing video games. Seems to be the right call.
AgLiving06
rhutton125 said:

Thoughts after 5 episodes:

I thought episode 4 was the best of the bunch, but 5 was kind of a step back. Critics spoke highly of episode 6 though so maybe it will tick back up.

The fighting is hit or miss. I like Danny but I don't like the idea of making the entire first 3 episodes dedicated to the civilian / business side and very, very little to the Iron Fist / Marvel side. Also, for a guy who is a living weapon and trained his whole life to fight the Hand, he seems like he is easily countered by your average goons. Danny needs to up his game big time, as does the fight choreography, and the general pacing.

Also, I'm watching this while playing video games. Seems to be the right call.

This is the number 1 flaw of all fight movies. The best fighter always gets beat up far more than they should.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Two episodes in and 1) its a thousand times better than Luke Cage, and 2) I dont get the complaints about the fighting. Sure, its not the best ever choreographed on screen, but I've seen way worse.

And I agree about race factoring intothe high critical ratings for Luke Cage. Many used the b.s. reasoning that it was a clever modern day take on the old Blaxpotation films to excuse the shoddy writing and acting.
AgLiving06
So they hired a 'private investigator when she's sober eh."

I do like the subtle tie ins.
Madmarttigan
AG
I didnt want to use the race card but I do believe that is part of why Luke Cage was reviewed so well, and I think a lot of reviewers were basing it off of the first half of the season which was pretty good until shades and diamondback were more integral.

I also believe there was a lot of backlash on the whole whitewashing thing with Iron Fist being a martial arts movie with another white man. These ratings could have a lot more to do with hollywood politics than actual quality.
fig96
AG
Two eps down, I was bracing myself for terrible but have enjoyed it so far. A few things do seem a bit illogical but the fight scenes aren't as bad as folks are making them out to be. The different power struggles going on intrigue me as well and the acting is generally decent (though some of the dialogue is a bit awkward).

Not that I wouldn't have finished out the season in any case, but I'm looking forward to more.
Madmarttigan
AG
Through 5 episodes.

The action is underwhelming so far but really the story has been interesting to me and acting has been decent. The way the asian dojo girl fights is more captivating so far than iron fist, but I am enjoying it.
YouBet
AG
I'm through four episodes. It's a little underwhelming but I will stick with it. It's weird that they are explicitly telling the audience about who he is and what his powers are instead of letting you discover it.

I didnt recall much of his comic but im also a little tired of this "ultra rich kid disappears for several years only to return and reclaim what's his" storyline. I feel like I'm watching the Buddhist version of Arrow but Arrow was much better at this early point in both series.

They've already mentioned DD and tied JJ in so I guess LC is next. I give it 2.5 stars at this point.
who?mikejones
AG
Never seen it and probably won't ever watch it. Hiwever, I caught a review on NPR yesterday about this show. Let's just say the reviewer didn't think very highly of it. Not because of the storyline or acting or anything like that.

The reviewer hated it because it was racist and a white guy had to save the day in an Asian world.
Madmarttigan
AG
And I feel that is part of why it is getting blasted
Trident 88
AG
I'm reliving my childhood thanks to Netflix.

I grew up in the 70s collecting the comic books for all of these characters. Luke Cage/Power Man, Iron Fist, Son of Satan, etc. were some of the best drawn comic books back then, and when they teamed up with Dr. Strange, the Hulk, Submariner to form the Defenders... Definitely more interesting than the Avengers.
Trident 88
AG
Iron Fist is a character from the 70s, when comic books were being purchased mostly by white kids. So, it makes sense that Marvel made him a white guy. Hell, I guess we were all racists back then, but we didn't give it much thought.

Personally, I'm glad that they didn't choose the PC option of rewriting him as an Asian for this series. Doing so would have seemed dishonest to those of us who knew the original character.

Maybe check back in 10-20 years, once our culture has had a little time to catch up with the SJWs demanding that everything change ASAP to soothe their overactive consciences.
coldmoose
The Avengers/Defenders battle. Vision, Silver Surfer, Hulk, Thor, Cap, Valkyrie, Hawkeye, Namor, Swordsman, etc. That was a great crossover series.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.