****** The Americans Season 5 ******

38,489 Views | 319 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Season 5 starts tomorrow, tuesday March 7 on FX. 13 episodes.

Preview of sorts....training Paige. Hopefully this means Keri is back to kicking some ass.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
CorpsAg11
AG
She's not pregnant anymore so they won't have to keep covering up her belly.
SWCBonfire
AG
On tonight's episode, Elizabeth recovers a 5 1/4" floppy disk disguised in a fruit roll-up from a covert Directorate S operative posing as an Amway salesman. Phillip fires up his Commodore 64 tapped in to ARPANET, uses the content of the disk to infiltrate the Department of State's mainframe, and rigs the election in the state of Minnesota for Walter Mondale.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
I'm im!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

I'm im!
TexasAggie008
AG
Trump should live-tweet the ep just to f with everyone
SeattleAgJr
TexasAggie008 said:

Trump should live-tweet the ep just to f with everyone
bwahahahaha. That would be awesome.

but that would take time away from talking about himself.

The only man more narcissistic than Obama... Sadly.
TexasAggie008
AG
Seattle people don't like Trump?! No way

(Ok no more derailing thread... truce !)
CorpsAg11
AG
I really like some of the story lines in this first episode. I felt like last season meandered a bit but now that they know they have a timeline of 2 seasons to wrap everything up, i expect it to be really good from here on out.

The dad that sht talks the Soviet Union constantly. I think Philip and Elizabeth will eventually act out in anger over his disrespect.

Oleg back in the Soviet Union. Looks like the American govt is going to try to turn him since he has a relationship w/ Stan, which I'm guessing ends with Oleg in a body bag.

Philip's son seeking him out. I think this is what eventually (probably next season) leads to Philip and Elizabeth's downfall.

Of course the Paige storyline has many layers, and she definitely hasn't fully bought in yet.

The virus is back in the hands of the Soviets.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
CorpsAg11 said:

I really like some of the story lines in this first episode. I felt like last season meandered a bit but now that they know they have a timeline of 2 seasons to wrap everything up, i expect it to be really good from here on out.

The dad that sht talks the Soviet Union constantly. I think Philip and Elizabeth will eventually act out in anger over his disrespect.

Oleg back in the Soviet Union. Looks like the American govt is going to try to turn him since he has a relationship w/ Stan, which I'm guessing ends with Oleg in a body bag.

Philip's son seeking him out. I think this is what eventually (probably next season) leads to Philip and Elizabeth's downfall.

Of course the Paige storyline has many layers, and she definitely hasn't fully bought in yet.

The virus is back in the hands of the Soviets.

And that crazy side storyline where they are pilot/stewardess and their adopted son...I mean it's related to the dad that talks s*** about the USSR but.... thats a crazy balancing act in itself. Quite the long con it seems.

Sort of along the lines of the Kimmy story....which never quite played out completely...TBD I guess.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

by the way the timeline was pretty clearly set - it's mid February in 1984.

Has to be because they talk about the Olympics and there was a Russian magazine showing 1984. the Olympics in 1984 were in Sarajevo Yugoslavia (where Mischa is now actually)...and in the summer in LA. But it has to be the winter Olympics given the heavy clothing worn in several outdoor scenes. Also of course the USSR boycotted the 1984 summer games and that will likely be a big issue later this season. Probably sort of setting it up for that.

Interesting I remember this time well, the high school scenes especially will be of interest to me - I graduated HS in May 1984. So this time is very much in my wheelhouse.

The D
AG
Who is that Asian kid ? Someone they flipped?

Anyways love this show. So glad it's back on.
CorpsAg11
AG
The D said:

I don't remember him from last season. When he came home in that first scene to Philip and Elizabeth i was so confused i found myself wondering if they'd changed the actor who played Henry..
Joan Wilder
AG
Pretty stoked - this is my first season watching live. We finally caught up on Amazon.

Sepinwall review says it's the Sarajevo Olympics, so it's been about a month since the last season ended.

I'm fascinated with the mission they're on with the Asian kid and Soviet family and can't wait to see where it goes. What's the back story on the Asian kid?

When do they sleep?! Also I desperately want the Pan Am travel bag.
oragator
Really good opening episode. First scene was a great return to form.
Lots of good story line possibilities, I only wish Nina were still here to be a part of it all.
Big Cat `93
AG
I was stoked to hear my favorite DEVO song at the beginning.
Mucho austin
AG
I think the back story of the Asian kid is a non issue. He's a soviet plant posing as a high schooler with an adoptive family. That's it. He reports info for them to work with.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I MISSED IT!!!! Time to check on re-airings.
The D
AG
Mucho austin said:

I think the back story of the Asian kid is a non issue. He's a soviet plant posing as a high schooler with an adoptive family. That's it. He reports info for them to work with.
Yeah that makes sense seeing how much he loves the Soviet cause. I guess they are taking risks sending what, a 15-16 year old over there to live by himself and be a spy? Or maybe he is older and got some fake credentials to attend school. Either way I'm betting you are right, instead of someone they flipped.
DonaldFDraper
AG
It's on fxnetworks.com too.
lunchbox
CorpsAg11 said:

The D said:

I don't remember him from last season. When he came home in that first scene to Philip and Elizabeth i was so confused i found myself wondering if they'd changed the actor who played Henry..
Speaking of Henry, he was only in one scene for about 3 seconds, but he's definitely more than a month older than the last time we saw him. Part of the problem when using kids in a multi-season show in a compressed timeline.
EllisCoAg
AG
thought it was a great 1st episode, liked a lot things already mentioned. I wanted to add the scene where Elizabeth started "training" Paige and then later telling Phillip she was a quick learner, could lead to something.

I also liked how they talked about waiting in line to purchase food was a blessing just to do that, because they had nothing. Then the tie-in with the wheat farming, the new Russian family, did the Father say he was with their Dept. of Agriculture?, and Oleg investigating the agriculture bribes.

looking forward to this season.
KidDoc
AG
I think Oleg is going to find that his family is involved in the food stealing ring, they always have plenty of food. That may cause him to have a crisis about his beloved motherland.

I'm torn between thinking the complaining dad will either be killed or will make our heroes rethink how great the ole USSR is these days.

The digging scene was excessive but interesting in the end.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Counterpoint
AG
KidDoc said:

The digging scene was excessive but interesting in the end.
It was the most exciting 15 minute digging scene I've ever watched!
ellebee
I'm not gonna lie, that scene was kind of fascinating for me, especially with the payoff at the end of it
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Not many shows would give you 15 minutes of digging for the 5 second payoff....i loved it.

Thats the kind of eerie tension this show provides regularly.

Also good to see Keri back to getting her hands dirty...literally.

She is cold as ice (oooooh they could have been playing that song).
CowtownAg06
AG
My guess is the kind is probably another illegal like P&E. China was Russia's largest ally at the time, so it would make sense.
safety guy
AG
what happened to the pastor and his family. They knew the secret. Surely they have to be "addressed".
Presley OBannons Sword
Might end up being way wrong here, but I predict a happy ending for Oleg here in the good ol US of A.
TexasAggie008
CowtownAg06
AG
Really felt like that episode needed a digging scene.
oragator
I'm not saying she's Dana Brody, but the Paige thing needs to come to a head, two years now of her in this same spot.
DeangeloVickers
AG
oh I love Keri's heinie
SeattleAgJr
Ryno01 said:

oh I love Keri's heinie
Since Commie's are also known as "reds"

That would be "red ass"!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.