* * * Big Little Lies * * *

15,063 Views | 123 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by hph6203
Objective Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I haven't seen a thread for this.

I find myself very interested in this. It's like a mix of True Detective with Desperate Housewives.

Reese Witherspoon has been great. Her youngest daughter is awesome. Star studded cast.

This is the type of show that could take a turn and go south quickly, or keep meandering through the woods and go nowhere like TD season 2. But for now, I am plugged in.

It's not amazing tv. But it is intriguing.

Anyone?
Ervin Burrell
AG
Knocked the first two episodes out last night. I like it...it's weird seeing Adam Scott in a serious role but he's doing a great job.
Wes97
AG
Reese Witherspoon is very entertaining in this so far.
tk for tu juan
It's only set for one season, right? Guessing it is Celeste's kids that choked the girl and not Ziggy.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
It's actually a really cool whodoneit
Could be anyone right now
Objective Aggie
AG
tk for tu juan said:

It's only set for one season, right? Guessing it is Celeste's kids that choked the girl and not Ziggy.
me too
kjcAg
AG
So far it seems to be following the book pretty closely.
Btron
AG
My guess is that it is a main character that dies, perhaps Madeline (Reese). I think they are setting up that she has lots of enemies and it could be anyone. Everyone has dark secrets and moments where they could do harm to others. Reese is by far the best thing of this show and the incredible homes with those badass beach views.
Objective Aggie
AG
Good episode.
PJD Ag 10
AG
Really enjoying this so far. Love a long form mystery
duck79
AG
Watching this with the wife and just made the mistake of reading the book synopsis. I guess we will find out if they follow it.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Still waiting for Nicole to reach an age where I wouldn't smash.
marble rye
AG
I really have a hard time watching dramas of today where parents just let their kids walk all over them.

Calling it now. Nicole Kidman's abusive husband is Ziggy's father and he is the one that is dead.
ATM9000
AG
Nicole's husband is a classic TV red herring here. Series is called Big Little Lies. I'd be willing to bet that at least 25% of what we've perceived to be the story thus far isn't reality to what happened.
duck79
AG
My wife said the same thing in the first episode and then last night during the "rape" scene I think it pretty much confirmed it. I think the shoes are noticed again in the future.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Just watched all 3 episodes last night. Thought it was good. I agree with most of the predictions on here so far.
WES2006AG
AG
I haven't read the book and I am absolutely love this story so far. Will be great to see where it ends up.
txaggiefarmer05
AG
I was hooked from the intro. I think Jane chapman knows what she's doing, kept looking at kidmans character when they first went for coffee. Think when she shoots that guy her premonition, then Kidman Kills her for revenge.
rhoswen
AG
This is one of those shows I feel like I should just let pile up on the dvr and binge watch because when an episode ends I'm like "AAAAUUUGGHHHH WHAT HAPPENS"
pinkdog
Bump. I can't believe we still don't know some "dirty secret" Celeste and her husband have. And I'm mad at madilyn for her affair.
PJD Ag 10
AG
I thought it was that they fight and have violent sex right after.
20ag07
This show is the perfect example of "if it weren't on HBO, I would have already stopped watching it." Almost nothing happened this week. 3 episodes left- the pace better pick up pretty quickly.
Btron
AG
20ag07 said:

This show is the perfect example of "if it weren't on HBO, I would have already stopped watching it." Almost nothing happened this week. 3 episodes left- the pace better pick up pretty quickly.

I'm pretty sure we found out Madilyn's big little lie. That seemed to be something that happened this week.
marble rye
AG
I still enjoyed tonight's episode. Watching Renatta eat **** along with the Mayor was nice.

They really wanted to focus on Jane's inner struggle in this episode. Ziggy is the only thing keeping her alive.

The kid BS is what wears me out. Why didnt the teacher recommend to Elle's parents that she see a child psychologist?! Maybe she would open up and say who it is... likely one or both of the twins that saw daddy choking mommy.

And Abigail is a spoiled entitled **** that is pitting her parents against each other. Knows exactly what she is doing. Dear God, I hate kids.
pinkdog
I thought Celeste alluded to some other dirty secret when she was talking to the therapist last time. I could be wrong. May watch the previous episode again.
Objective Aggie
AG
Regarding the dirty secret, I interpreted that as their violent arguments and subsequent passion.

Regarding those who think the show is slow, I can see how you would think that. Most shows and movies cut to the action whereas this show is all about the slow reveal. And it is doing it really well.
Objective Aggie
AG
So four weeks in, and I really like this show. I have ideas but nothing confirmed on who did what. The characters are all interesting, and no one gets too much time to where they bore you. It just keeps moving at a deliberate pace.

The acting is top notch. Across the board. Even the child actors are great.

As far as characters, I know someone similar to each of these people in many ways. No one is an unbelievable character. The only non believable thing is that everyone has a multi-million dollar house on the beach (except Ziggy + mom), but I let that go.

Cinematography is stunning.
Macarthur
Wife and I are enjoying this, as well.
Joan Wilder
AG
Nicole Kidman' face when Reese was excitedly talking about her returning to her law practice was amazing. Such...resignation, anger, frustration and sadness all at the same time. The 2 women in the car celebrating her success was a great moment.

Reese is fantastic in this.

I'm not particularly interested in Shailene's story.

I've suspect it's the twins bullying the little girl - they're mimicking their dads behavior.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
never thought of the twins doing that, good point, that makes sense now that the therapist mentioned maybe ziggy knows who is bullying.

really like the show and reese and kidman are killing it
pinkdog
Your username. I'm a big Seinfeld fan. I need to start a thread about best Seinfeld moments.
starched_bingo
I thought that same thing after this past episode. Doesn't feel like ziggy is the guy
tk for tu juan
Ziggy is missing a front tooth. When do they check to see if the bite mark is missing a front tooth?
Objective Aggie
AG
I am getting a bit fatigued with the constant daydream sequences. Reality and fiction are starting to overlap too much.

Some of the plot lines are getting overdeveloped. We get it. Nicole Kidmans husband is violent. Reese is a nosey Nellie and a control freak. Renata is a power hungry self-centered winch. And so on. And so on.

I did think Renata's character is pretty believable. She is totally the new mom if the millenium. Trying to control everything and take no prisoners with bystanders. The way she attached Jane - - sadly I have seen people just like that.

So did Jane shoot the guy or was that another dream sequence? :/
Mozart Paintings
AG
I thought maybe the gun went off when she dropped the purse? So then she ran out.

Really like the show but agree that when the credits rolled last night I felt a bit confused.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.