Podcast - Up And Vanished

14,870 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BadMoonRisin
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone else been listening to this?
hurleyag
AG
I have not. What is the premise?
Farmer1906
AG
Mr.KyleReed
AG
I just started it based off this thread.

Interested.
NoahAg
hurleyag said:

I have not. What is the premise?
Tara Grinstead, 30 year old teacher in Georgia, disappeared in 2005. Very little evidence left behind. It's done in similar style as Serial. Lots of interviews, details from people connected to the case.

WARNING: Do NOT Google the case if you don't want to see spoilers.
hurleyag
AG
Is this the case they just made an arrest in
NoahAg
hurleyag said:

Is this the case they just made an arrest in
Yes. Seemingly, completely out of the blue. Apparently it was someone who had never been on the radar.
gravy97
AG
Gravy Jr and I binged this on a road trip over Christmas break... very interesting story that had us hooked.

Very cool to hear the GBI announcement and wonder what role if any the podcast had in the tip that the GBI received
Josepi
AG
Thank you everyone for using the spoiler function. I greatly appreciate it!
Redstone
AG
Many strange things happen in our world, including people in the woods disappearing while in close contact with their friends and relatives. Search Fortean disappearances if you are ready for it.
NoahAg
Redstone said:

Many strange things happen in our world, including people in the woods disappearing while in close contact with their friends and relatives. Search Fortean disappearances if you are ready for it.

I listened to another one, "Someone Knows Something," about the disappearance of Adrien McNaughton in Canada. The podcast isn't as well done as Up And Vanished, but the story of how a kid can just disappear like that is crazy.
Phrasing
AG
just started this based on this thread - thanks for the rec!

I noticed how similar it was to Serial, but like the fact that the creator doesn't hide the fact that he started it based on his love for that podcast and MAM.
CDub06
AG
I listened to this podcast as episodes were released. I thought it was interesting, but poorly organized. He focused way too much on some of the rabbit trails, just swinging a really big stick without focus. It really seemed like he was mainly trying to fill time and sponsor obligations at time.

I like the premise, but I'm not certain I'm going to hang in for season two unless he organizes the story better.
aTmLoKi
AG
Wow. This is incredible, especially how it is playing out right now in real time.
rhutton125
AG
I'm on board, but avoiding spoilers (obviously) until I'm caught up. I don't think it's presented as well as Serial - kinda miss that show and the host - but I'm a sucker for a mystery so I'm not really complaining.

What kind of name is Pane though, or whatever it's spelled...
aTmLoKi
AG
I agree with the number of rabbits he chased, and was somewhat disappointed when Duke and Dukes names came up and hadn't been a part of the show at all. I wonder if their names were on the list of 12 that was created by the guy that committed suicide in Tennessee or if that was just another rabbit.
LHIOB
AG
On episode 7. I can't wait to catch up to join the discussion. Thanks for posting.
NoahAg
Quote:

I listened to this podcast as episodes were released. I thought it was interesting, but poorly organized. He focused way too much on some of the rabbit trails, just swinging a really big stick without focus.
Some of the early episodes were a little rough, but I think he's gotten better along the way. I think he had to have some filler stuff early on because he didn't have a whole lot to go by.
NoahAg
Quote:

disappointed when Duke and Dukes names came up and hadn't been a part of the show at all. I wonder if their names were on the list of 12 that was created by the guy that committed suicide in Tennessee
Yeah, I think I need a recap of the suicide thing. It makes me think even more people could be involved.

I'm not disappointed but it is certainly strange/amazing that Duke and Duke's names have never come up, and were never on law enforcement's radar. And the fact that neither of them even left town in all these years? And there's still something fishy about the cop who left the business card.
CDub06
AG
NoahAg said:

Quote:

I listened to this podcast as episodes were released. I thought it was interesting, but poorly organized. He focused way too much on some of the rabbit trails, just swinging a really big stick without focus.
Some of the early episodes were a little rough, but I think he's gotten better along the way. I think he had to have some filler stuff early on because he didn't have a whole lot to go by.
Right, but with the popularity, he quickly decided he needed to announce more episodes. And I just don't think he had the quality or quantity to fill the number of episodes he was shooting for. But more episodes = more sold ads.
aTmLoKi
AG
CDub06 said:

NoahAg said:

Quote:

Right, but with the popularity, he quickly decided he needed to announce more episodes. And I just don't think he had the quality or quantity to fill the number of episodes he was shooting for. But more episodes = more sold ads.
The ads were getting really bad after the 3rd or 4th episode.
Josepi
AG
You mean you haven't picked up a set of Harry's razors yet?
gravy97
AG
It would also be great if there was so way to just skip thru commercials on a podcast.
Phrasing
AG
gravy97 said:

It would also be great if there was so way to just skip thru commercials on a podcast.
Ha! Yeah, the ads don't bother me because I understand obviously someone would want to make money off of this and I have no problem with that - it's his job and all. And its so easy to just press ->15 three or four times to get through them.

I do agree with the cdub06 as well though. I think he started seeing that the show was getting popular and making money off of ads was a real possibility and so he green lighted more episodes without really having the content to justify it. It's not well organized and some of the fluff interviews are pointless.

His buddy Rob though is silly with the dramatic voice as well. Just talk conversationally like Sarah did in Serial. She was an easy listen.

I'm a sucker for these stories though so I will see it through, plus it is cool that it is happening in real time.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
I think the main host does a fine job of speaking conversationally. At least he doesn't try to do the over the top "NPR" story telling voice. That would include a near condescending whisper and plenty of pauses and lip smacks.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
My wife and I always crack up when the deep voice guy comes on to do some serious bit
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Yea that part was kind of goofy and unnecessary. He was only on the first few episodes right?
Jimmy McNulty
AG
That guy made it sound like some kind of comedy bit
Whoop04
He did it again on the episode that came out Monday.
tylercsbn9
AG
Just seeing this thread.I had been listening to it week before that first arrest. Absolutely crazy to be following weekly and then boom it is solved.Dude is going to make a killing with his documentary I'd assume.
tylercsbn9
AG
NoahAg said:

Redstone said:

I listened to another one, "Someone Knows Something," about the disappearance of Adrien McNaughton in Canada. The podcast isn't as well done as Up And Vanished, but the story of how a kid can just disappear like that is crazy.
Another great one. If you want to listen to some really ****ed up **** listen to Sword and Scale.

Accused, Suspect Convictions,Crimetown, Missing & Murdered: Whole Killed Alberta Williams, and Missing Richard Simmons are also some solid ones going on now or recently.
aTmLoKi
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

NoahAg said:

Redstone said:

Another great one. If you want to listen to some really ****ed up **** listen to Sword and Scale.

Accused, Suspect Convictions,Crimetown, Missing & Murdered: Whole Killed Alberta Williams, and Missing Richard Simmons are also some solid ones going on now or recently.
Thanks for these recommendations. I breezed through UAV and had been looking for something else, and agree that Sword and Scale is good - but really messed up.
H6RBW
AG
I binge-listened to this after seeing this thread.

Now, going back and looking at the spoiler-tagged comments, I agree with a lot of them:

I'd really like to find out if Duke and Dukes were named in the suicide note, but I'm guessing they weren't.

It is really strange that Duke and Duke's names never came up in the investigation, especially since (if I'm remembering this right) someone he interviewed said one of them (I forget which) was talking about having killed Grinstead one night at a party out in the pecan grove - and it sounds like the pecan grove was the subject of some rumors as well. Weird that the police never heard/looked at that.
bagger05
AG
Not reading the thread to make sure I avoid spoilers, but thanks for the recommendation. I'm definitely caught up in it. Not as well done as Serial, but very suspenseful and interesting to listen to.
bagger05
AG
I'm caught up now.

How freaking bizarre is this? I thought the Parry detective looked bad for it because he had the biggest motive (if he was indeed having an affair with her). I couldn't ever really figure out WHY Marcus would want her dead. Now these two dudes show up PUT OF NOWHERE and the thing is basically done. How they stayed under the radar for so long is really unbelievable.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.