Fargo - Season 3

53,602 Views | 519 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Sex Panther
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I really enjoyed the season, although not as much as the first two. But I did think the ending fell flat. I didn't like how they finished off Swango. I'm actually ok with her not being some sweet avenging angel that only does good. I just thought the entire scene was like they couldn't figure out how to wrap it up with her so they shoe-horned something in. And his car trouble, not-trouble didnt make sense.

I also didn't care for the 5 year delay in revenge. If he's getting no jail time for a $200 million tax fraud (which in and of itself is questionable), then at least do the revenge earlier. And carrying 5 years of revenge motivation is a pretty hefty load, especially considering Emmit didnt kill Swango.
DG-Ag
AG
Can someone remind me again why the deaf guy is called Mr. Wrench? For the life of me I can't remember.
Complete Idiot
Agree with all these points. It wasn't as cohesive as the prior seasons, and I was also not happy with the ending. I admit it might be in part, perhaps large part, due to the expectations I put on the show after seasons 1 and 2. I did enjoy the storage facility scene last night, I thought Varga's facial expressions throughout were great. It looked like Meemo was alive and shot in the junk, half expected his gun to go up against the back of Mr Wrench's last night after Emmit was bumped. Felt(z) bad laughing at Sy last night, but was glad he lived. Goldfarb wasn't a boss, just another henchman/operative.

My favorite episode was the bus escape/forest hunt/bowling alley - by far.

Sounds like a season 4 is doubtful but we have Mr Wrench, and Meemo, alive and could reappear. Or perhaps go back in time again and have a season with Hanzee in it. Milligan, Peggy? A young Floyd Gerhardt?
DannyDuberstein
AG
jabber jabber jabber GOOD AS NEW jabber jabber jabber. [/Sy]
Sex Panther
AG
Complete Idiot said:

I guess I'll rank them as well - hard to tell if I should rank against average TV dramas or the seasons against each other. This is highly scientific and I stayed up all night running numbers.

1-10 compared to all TV
S1 - 9.6
S2 - 10.infinity
S3 - 8.0

I'd go with that too
Bunk Moreland
I wouldn't mind a season 4 with a local political angle
Complete Idiot
Bunk Moreland said:

I wouldn't mind a season 4 with a local political angle
Nick Offerman's character?
Bunk Moreland
I could see that. Maybe portray him as older to get closer to the late 80's.

Or do a re-set of new actors and characters and make it the counter culture 60's.

Or hell, a completely modern day one wouldn't be bad either. Just somehow incorporate a local political campaign or an already elected politician into one of the main storylines.
LHIOB
AG
Maybe something that involves Mr Wrench from 2011 to 2016
Sex Panther
AG
I know there was speculation that this would be the last season. Is there any idea on when they'd make that decision?
LHIOB
AG
Sex Panther said:

I know there was speculation that this would be the last season. Is there any idea on when they'd make that decision?
As soon as they renew some garbage show and purchase the rights to the Fast and the Furious TV show.
BQ78
AG
Karl Weathers and Hanzee coming back in Season 4 would be great.
BassCowboy33
CrazyDayDuck said:

Complete Idiot said:

I didn't like it because I thought she had become an avenging angel of some kind - a do gooder at that point after visiting the angel. But she killed the cop - a rare competent cop in this series - and died. I did like her character but thought she had turned to good. I think it was mainly just her killing a cop instead of emmit after getting out what the wandering Jew/angel whatever told her to say. I don't know, it just didn't sit well with me

Exactly

An avenging angel that dies while killing a cop? That's just weird.

Although one could argue Mr Wrench was the avenging angel. However, he was really more of a hired gun avenging his super hot girlfriend.

The final scene with Gloria and Varga had great potential. However, that too fell flat. Good facing down evil but we are to wonder who wins in the end?

This reminded me of "No Country for Old Men". Great movie with a not so hot ending.

I'm not into the omnipotent evil guy getting away. Probably because they rarely do.

I disagree. The endings are purposefully made to be open ended, leaving the viewer to decide. I love it.
Counterpoint
AG
Sex Panther said:

I know there was speculation that this would be the last season.
Please tell me that's a Hawley choice and not a network decision. It makes me sad to think that a show this awesome wouldn't be allowed to go on as long as the creator wants it to go on.
Counterpoint
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

And whats with Emmitt having car trouble....then 10 minutes later starts it and drives off. The CC by the way literally said "fuel light warning dings" indicating he ran out of gas (per the script I guess). Then he just drives off after and has plenty of gas? Either way just seemed rather convenient. I would have much preferred if he stole the truck and claimed Swango had stolen his car.

They edited out the riveting 30 minute scene of him siphoning gas from the cop car.
CorpsAg11
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

And whats with Emmitt having car trouble....then 10 minutes later starts it and drives off. The CC by the way literally said "fuel light warning dings" indicating he ran out of gas (per the script I guess). Then he just drives off after and has plenty of gas? Either way just seemed rather convenient. I would have much preferred if he stole the truck and claimed Swango had stolen his car.

For real! It seems like the showrunners are getting a little too far up their own arses to notice basic plot holes like that. They are more focused on cramming in an excessive amount of long monologues and not-so-organic, thinly veiled thematic references. Seasons 1 and 2 were amazing, but maybe this show has run its course. This season was a waste of time.
DG-Ag
AG
Count Counterpoint said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

They edited out the riveting 30 minute scene of him siphoning gas from the cop car.
I was wondering that too. Nikki just happens to show up knowing the car will stall. I assumed beemers have some kill switch that can be activated if the car is stolen - that's what I assumed at the time. But that still (I guess) doesn't explain how Emmitt can just drive off after the shooting. The kill switch would have to be overridden - if such a thing exists. Little crap like that really bugs me.
CrazyDayDuck
BassCowboy33 said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

Complete Idiot said:

I didn't like it because I thought she had become an avenging angel of some kind - a do gooder at that point after visiting the angel. But she killed the cop - a rare competent cop in this series - and died. I did like her character but thought she had turned to good. I think it was mainly just her killing a cop instead of emmit after getting out what the wandering Jew/angel whatever told her to say. I don't know, it just didn't sit well with me

Exactly

An avenging angel that dies while killing a cop? That's just weird.

Although one could argue Mr Wrench was the avenging angel. However, he was really more of a hired gun avenging his super hot girlfriend.

The final scene with Gloria and Varga had great potential. However, that too fell flat. Good facing down evil but we are to wonder who wins in the end?

This reminded me of "No Country for Old Men". Great movie with a not so hot ending.

I'm not into the omnipotent evil guy getting away. Probably because they rarely do.

I disagree. The endings are purposefully made to be open ended, leaving the viewer to decide. I love it.

To each their own.

I prefer the standard movie formula. Antagonist versus Protagonist. The build up of the conflict. The climax. The final resolution.

If the Coen brothers ever directed a movie about the shootout at the OK Corral, they would end it before the shooting ever began.

It's like watching all the pregame Super Bowl hype, then the game comes on. You watch the whole game. One team is driving to take the lead in the final seconds. Then your cable goes out and you're wondering who won?

That's what a Coen brother movie is like.
E
AG
I loved the Swango-Cop scene! I think she was on too much of a roll and getting the avenged kill was too predictable. I thought having Emmitt get away scot free was kinda funny.

Did not like the ending, like inception but not nearly as suspenseful.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
E said:

I loved the Swango-Cop scene! I think she was on too much of a roll and getting the avenged kill was too predictable. I thought having Emmitt get away scot free was kinda funny.

Did not like the ending, like inception but not nearly as suspenseful.

ummmmmmm????????
Al Bula
AG
Somehow I missed the bowling alley/Sy poisoning episode. Oh well, I read the synopsis and don't feel like I missed too much.

I began to root for Varga a few weeks ago. I found myself not caring about Nikki avenging Ray.

Glad to see that Varga was still a bad ass and the end was left open.
E
AG
In that scene not in the end of the show.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
E said:

In that scene not in the end of the show.

ahhhhh
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I think there was a really good theme at the heart of this season, especially in light of what's going on politically around the world, about the subjectivity of truth and people seeing or believing what they want to see or believe, whether it's the factual truth or not. They just didn't quite drive it home as nicely as they could have in the end.

Overall, I'd say this season had great characters, some great scenes, great use of music, great camera work, but a sub-par story by Fargo standards. And unfortunately for Season 3, story is the one thing that ties all that other stuff together, so the weakness of that story held it back from being great.

I hope we get another season of Fargo, but I wouldn't mind if they took a year off to really make sure they get the story right next time. I think they clearly had great ideas for season 1 and 2 that had been stewing for a long time, but season three wasn't nearly as well thought out.

Take some time, and let's get another awesome season of Fargo.

I'd love to see another season set in the past. Anything between prohibition era and today would be great fun and rich in content to mine and work with. Something that channels the mob war of season 2 would be great, but the writers should continue to challenge themselves by growing the story in new ways, too. Maybe a mob war with that political angle another poster mentioned, for instance.
Thanks and gig'em
cone
AG
everything after the storage facility was mess

too many themes hitting at once and none of them really effectively played out

some good tension, though

i liked the season, but it was pretty incoherent
Rascal
AG
I wasn't ever a huge fan of the Cohen brothers, but I have watched all 3 seasons and I have enjoyed them fairly equally. Most of my enjoyment stems from the general experience as the production quality and music is very good. The stories are quite complex and out there and hard for me to fully plug into, but that's why social media forums like this exist!
The D
AG
Just got around to watching the finale due to being on vacation.

I liked season 3, but didn't love it like season 1 and 2. It was still very good and I agree with the poster that gave it an 8.

One thing I think this season missed compared with 1 & 2 is the overall feel/humor of the setting/area. This season was darker. You just had a better feel for the townspeople in the first 2 seasons. Sy was by far the most hilarious guy on the show and when he was poisoned it lost that humor with him being gone.

Also, what a waste for Shea Whigham's character. I was waiting for them to develop him further but they could have used anyone for that role.
AgGrad99
AG
I just finished the finale.

I'd give the season a big 'meh'. A few things were just off this season.

I loved the first two seasons. This one was not great. It tried to be too cute, was a bit lost/confusing at times, and drug along during others. Not to mention the brief story lines that had very little to do with the story at all.

The final scene was a let down. Normally I'd have liked an ending like that...but at this point I didn't care enough about either character to be left in suspense...I just wanted them to give me a conclusion, and close the book.
The Anchor
AG
BernArnold said:

Yeah I'm in the camp that this is the worst of the three Fargo seasons - but still very very good TV.

I was intrigued - but not mesmerized and enthralled the way I was with S1 and S2.

As for the finale itself - a few to many loose ends for my taste and some out of left field stuff.

The unresolved ending....yeah it's thought provoking and allows the viewer to interpret (ala Sopranos which I loved). And plays right into the entire series having 2 world views - Burgles and Vargas basically. Not saying I would prefer a clean ending actually but it left me a little unfazed I guess.

Why would deaf guy wait 5 years to kill Emmitt - thats just odd. I mean what is his revenge motivation at that point anyway. It's not money and if it was pure revenge for Swango surely it could have been much sooner.

Swango's actions especially with the cop were a little much or a little (plot) convenient.

The prologue stuff was never really tied in all that well (imho).
Gloria's technology affliction.
The hand in the box, her pseudo fathers writer background and the entire LA thing was a non-sequitur.

Oh well...I certainly won't say I didn't enjoy it - lots and lots of good stuff. But it seemed like it was about 6 episodes of stuff stretched out.

Just finished season 3 and these are my thoughts exactly.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Halfway through this right now, what were the general impressions of the season? For me, it has been great. Maybe not S1 and 2 great, but still one of the best things on TV.

It's kind of funny how it's only 2 years old, yet it already seems a little dated with the obvious symbolism to how fake news distorts our reality and becomes the new truth, Russian's behind the scenes pulling strings, and then the wealthy real estate business man being controlled by them. It will be interesting to look back in 2026-2028 at how much Trump's presidency influenced entertainment.

That being said, I have been extremely entertained, it is crazy how I have gone from hating Swango to hoping she makes it out of the bus alive (that's where I stopped last night).

The villain is awesome, and Sy is the best Minnesota character Fargo has ever had. The "fornicating with our cookware!" line is a new all time favorite.
Sex Panther
AG
I thought it was pretty great, just not quite on the level of the first two seasons. Still amazingly acted and entertaining, and the bad guy was really good. Story was just a notch below the previous ones though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.