Did Y'all See This? Re: Jack Ryan

4,284 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TXAG 05
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I didn't see anything on the first page of the Entertainment board for this.
AgMarauder04
AG
pleasedontblowitpleasedontblowitpleasedontblowit
hunter2012
AG
The scripts for at least 10 seasons have been done for a long time. Just need to make it...
Aggie_Journalist
AG
That would make an excellent TV show. Much better fit for that medium than cinema.
Squirrel Master
AG
I'm assuming they are hoping for a pickup from one of the broadcast nets, which would be disappointing. On FX/AMC/HBO, I'm all in.
MrPlow2010
AG
I think it's gonna be on Amazon. I could be wrong but I think I read that a while back.
The Shank Ag
MrPlow2010 said:

I think it's gonna be on Amazon.
This is correct.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's great news!
BEaggie08
AG
TCTTS
AG
There was definitely an extensive-ish thread a while back, but it's been a while.
MooreTrucker
AG
I think it can be great. I don't know if that would be my choice for Jack Ryan, though....
Al Bula
AG
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MaroonStain
AG
The Shank Ag said:

MrPlow2010 said:

I think it's gonna be on Amazon.
This is correct.

Your best post on TA by a wide, wide margin...I should say your Biggest Post!
Chipotlemonger
AG
You remember any of the notable details on this show? Connections to other work, etc.?
TCTTS
AG
I don't. I know next to nothing about the character and didn't really read the other thread. I just remember there being one a few months back.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Slashfilm did an article a while back.

Quote:

Speaking with Collider, Krasinski says that Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan will be along the lines of a 10-hour movie, and they're bringing a movie-sized budget to the table too apparently:
Quote:

We're doing 10 episodes and I think the interesting part about it is exactly what you said, everything's changed so much; the line between film and TV has blurred so much over the years, I think Jack Ryan is a product of that blurring so much that I think that they're not even really considering it a TV show, they're calling it a movie that's being told in 10 parts; and that's not just an argument of semantics, it's actually true. Carlton Cuse's whole plan is we're gonna shoot it on a movie budget, we're gonna have the same stunts as movies, it's gonna feel like a movie but you're gonna watch it every week. His whole idea was he just felt that two hours wasn't enough time to tell a Jack Ryan story because Tom Clancy's books are so detailed and rich, and the character of Jack Ryan if he has a superpower is his intelligence, so there's a lot of problem solving and things that take time, and that's the beauty of the spy genre.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Any idea on what the story will be? One of the books?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Krasinki has been quoted that this season will deal with ISIS. So, I take it to mean that it's an original story not likely tied to any of Clancy's books besides character names. Which is disappointing since if they planned out an adaptation of the Ryan-verse they could have a rich universe that could rival the MCU imo.

I've really wanted to see Cardinal in the Kremlin as a film for a lone time.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Krasinki has been quoted that this season will deal with ISIS. So, I take it to mean that it's an original story not likely tied to any of Clancy's books besides character names. Which is disappointing since if they planned out an adaptation of the Ryan-verse they could have a rich universe that could rival the MCU imo.

Cardinal is probably among my most wanted books-to-film so long as they do it right. Along with Red Storm Rising (which is not a Jack Ryan book but seems to exist in the same world).
MooreTrucker
AG
They're still putting out books with the Ryan-verse characters, even though Clancy's been dead for a couple of years now.
MooreTrucker
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Cardinal is probably among my most wanted books-to-film so long as they do it right. Along with Red Storm Rising (which is not a Jack Ryan book but seems to exist in the same world).
C&PD is my favorite book. the film version was good but lacking in parts.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

C&PD is my favorite book. the film version was good but lacking in parts.
Great book although my favorite is The Sum of All Fears, which was not a good movie. C&PD the movie was enjoyable but there were enough changes to be irksome, plus I never liked Ford as Ryan (not that he did badly, just that he was too old for the role) or Dafoe as Clark.
jabberwalkie09
AG
It's been a long time since I've read the book, but from what I remember is that the film really lacked in the build of and exploits of the team in Colombia. Which really would have done more for building the character of Chavez.
MooreTrucker
AG
Ford was a good Ryan for me, but yeah, Willem Dafoe is NOT Clark.

Sum of all Fears could have been a good movie, especially since it was so closely lined up with actual 9/11 events. But i only ever saw it once and couldn't tell you a thing about it. Didn't Affleck play Ryan in that one?

Speaking of Clark, I wouldn't mind seeing Without Remorse or Rainbow Six as films.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Personally, Liev Schreiber as John Clark was probably the only redeeming quality in Sum of All Fears.
Thunder18
AG
would LOVE to see Rainbow 6 and Without Remorse made into movies or tv series
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Personally, Liev Schreiber as John Clark was probably the only redeeming quality in Sum of All Fears.
He at least looked the part as I had imagined him when first reading his character.

The thing that really pissed me off about the movie was the filmmaker's decision to not offend Muslims by changing the villains from Muslims to old white Germans trying to instigate WWIII between the US and the USSR. Affleck was decent as Ryan.
jabberwalkie09
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Sum of all Fears could have been a good movie, especially since it was so closely lined up with actual 9/11 events. But i only ever saw it once and couldn't tell you a thing about it. Didn't Affleck play Ryan in that one?

Speaking of Clark, I wouldn't mind seeing Without Remorse or Rainbow Six as films.
Yes, Affleck was Ryan. I really didn't care for him as Ryan.

Without Remorse was supposed to be in development quite a few years ago now, but I haven't heard anything about it since. Between a film or series, I think Rainbow Six would work better as a series if they're going to treat this new Jack Ryan series as a movie playing out over 10 episodes.
maverick2076
Without Remorse needs to be done.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Thunder18 said:

would LOVE to see Rainbow 6 and Without Remorse made into movies or tv series
Yes, do want!
Thunder18
AG
Yea I could see Netflix doing a 1 or 2 season Rainbow Six series that is high quality and loyal to the book and just nailing it...I think that would be my ideal scenario
Stive
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Did you mean Debt of Honor? Or do I have them out of order?
TXAG 05
AG
Cardinal is by far my favorite book.

I could also see them maybe using the Jack Ryan Jr/Campus stories since they are more modern day
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Stive said:

MooreTrucker said:

Did you mean Debt of Honor? Or do I have them out of order?
Yeah, it was Debt of Honor that had the 9-11 style attack on D.C. Sum of All Fears featured Muslims detonating a nuclear bomb at the Super Bowl in Denver.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.