***Colossal*** Anne Hathaway, Jason Sudekis

3,657 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SWCBonfire
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had no idea what this was about when I started the trailer. A new and different idea for sure.

Icecream_Ag
S
So monster movie meets that hugh jackman robot boxing movie?
PlanoAggie
AG
Hmmmm, not sure what I think about that one
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, the concept is meant to be a metaphor for Hathaway's character's destructive personality, the way her drinking is destroying her life and others, etc. Obviously in a comedic tone. I wouldn't put much stock in the actual sci-fi/monster elements.

Really looking forward to it, though.
Jim01
AG
It kind of has a Scott Pilgrim, Edgar Wright feel to me.
mazag08
AG
TCTTS said:

Just FYI, the concept is meant to be a metaphor for Hathaway's character's destructive personality, the way her drinking is destroying her life and others, etc. Obviously in a comedic tone. I wouldn't put much stock in the actual sci-fi/monster elements.

Really looking forward to it, though.

I got the same vibe from watching the trailer. Looks interesting.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Saw a screening of it a few months ago. Really enjoyed it.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Looks great. Thanks for the heads up.
reb,
AG
been waiting for this one since i first read about it on ars technica last year
TCTTS
AG
Just got home from a Q&A screening and this one's definitely a lot fun, if not a bit darker than I expected. Or, rather, it goes to a place I wasn't anticipating, thematically. I'll just say that it's not solely about alcohol abuse, but abuse in other forms as well, and gets fairly heavy at times. That said, it's never not tongue-in-cheek, and there are plenty of consistent laughs throughout. The audience really ate it up overall, especially during the great, crowd-pleasing ending. I could absolutely see this being somewhat of a break out hit once it goes wider.

Hathaway and writer/director Nacho Vigalondo were the Q&A guests (pics below), and just super cool all around. Vigalondo is so full of energy and heart, and you can tell he's about to break out. Hathaway too is one of my favorite actresses, and is so nice and sincere in person. People give her sh*t for whatever dumb reasons, but I have a hard time thinking of a kinder, more down to earth actress of her stature, one who gives her all in everything she's in.

These Q&As can get SO awkward when they open them up to audience questions, though. I cringe at least once at every one of these things, and sure enough, tonight, the very first audience question was from this weird Asian man in the third row who clearly ran some sh*tty movie blog or something. He was hard to understand, but kept his phone in video mode, aimed at Hathaway as he asked his question (something I'd never seen anyone do before), imploring her to talk about some of her upcoming projects. He then said, sincerely - I kid you not - something about how he voted for her to star in Shakespeare In Love 2 (???) on Harvey Weinstein's Facebook page. She handled it like a pro, though, and said thanks for the vote, but asked him to keep his question to the movie at hand. He then doubled down his future projects question, and she just shut him the hell up, looking to the audience as he was speaking and said, "Next question?!" I seriously almost got up and walked out it was so awkward. It shouldn't surprise me anymore, but it's truly staggering sometimes how ******* clueless and inappropriate people can be around celebrities.

ANYWAY... go see the movie if you get the chance. It's not perfect, but it's super original and definitely a fun two hours well spent at the theater. It came out in New York and Los Angeles this weekend, but is going wider next weekend, including a few select Texas cities (basically anywhere that has an Alamo Drafthouse it looks like). Looking forward to hearing more thoughts...

TajMaballer
AG
Holy crap this was great! This is the movie I wanted Passengers to be.
reb,
AG
I have been waiting to see this movie for like a year now, theres only one theater I can find that is going to show it in houston a week from now for one day. Its really strange. I can't even find a torrent of it. I must see this movie but its being evasive. Grrr...
SWCBonfire
AG
Saw it last night... good movie but not great. I give it major points for originality, though, and these days that is hard to come by.

Was certainly worth going to Alamo draft house and enjoying with a couple of beers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.