Casting choices you disagreed with.....but later admit to being good

4,566 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Debt
GiveEmHellBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As a companion to that other good thread, what casting decision made you really question the filmmaker's sanity, but was actually a good call?

The first thing that always pops into my head is a supporting role: Tom Arnold in True Lies.

There was no way in hell this should have been a good idea, yet James Cameron gave him a good role and he nailed it. A really hilarious performance in one of the best action-comedies ever.
Flashdiaz
AG
I'll admit, after Nicholson's Joker, I wasn't initially crazy about Heath...

but man was I wrong.
schmendeler
AG
ben Affleck as batman
jackie childs
I'm not really sure I "disagreed" with these casting choices, but here are some recent performances that I was pleasantly surprised by:

Zachary Qunto as Spock

Channing Tatum in Jump Street

Melissa McCarthy in Spy

Colin Firth in Kingsman
Bruce Almighty
AG
A ton of Marvel. Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man was a big wtf for me. Chris Evans for Captain America was even a bigger wtf. I thought Marvel jumped the shark with Bautista in Guardians of the Galaxy and Paul Rudd as Ant Man. Some how, they all keep working out.
Stupe
S
I was in California when Batman came out in 1989 and that movie was hyped everywhere. I thought that Michael Keaton in that role would be ridiculous. Not so much as Batman, but as Bruce Wayne.
Professor Frick
AG
For tv, I was really not looking forward to Kirsten Dunst in Fargo S2. Turned out to be the best performance in a season full of great performances. I had no idea she had it in her.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I had the same thought regarding Heath Ledger as the Joker, but obviously my negativity was highly mis-placed. He made us all forget Jack Nicholson.

While I understand the marketing of casting Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan, I disagreed with it at the time and still do. Alec Baldwin, as much as I loathe that goofball, was a much better choice given how Clancy wrote the character in the books. Ford was really too old IMO.

Unlike much of the rest of the known universe, I was not aghast at the casting of Ben Affleck as Batman. I have generally not had a problem with him in movies - I love Armageddon and I actually enjoyed much of Pearl Harbor. I gave him a chance as Batman and I don't feel like I had any reason to be disappointed.
jackie childs
Bruce Almighty said:

A ton of Marvel. Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man was a big wtf for me. Chris Evans for Captain America was even a bigger wtf. I thought Marvel jumped the shark with Bautista in Guardians of the Galaxy and Paul Rudd as Ant Man. Some how, they all keep working out.
I remember I had just recently seen kiss kiss bang bang when they announced RDJ as iron man and I thought it was a perfect choice.

I'm with you on Evans...

I'd add the Iron Fist guy, but Marvel's earned a lifetime "benefit of the doubt" pass from me at this point, so I'm sure he'll be brilliant.

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Flashdiaz said:

I'll admit, after Nicholson's Joker, I wasn't initially crazy about Heath...

but man was I wrong.
This was the first thing that came to mind.
Max Power
AG
I remember wondering what in the hell Nolan was thinking casting Heath Ledger as the joker. That immediately changed when this picture was released as a promo:

The definitive comic movie villain of all time for me, The Dark Knight was on last night and I watched it again, a truly incredible performance. Leto in Suicide Squad is just embarrassing.
AliasMan02
AG
Max Power said:

I remember wondering what in the hell Nolan was thinking casting Heath Ledger as the joker. That immediately changed when this picture was released as a promo:

The definitive comic movie villain of all time for me, The Dark Knight was on last night and I watched it again, a truly incredible performance. Leto in Suicide Squad is just embarrassing.

I was always a believer in Ledger, but thought they'd go more a direction of a psycho, sadistic crime boss and downplay the clown aspect. When they released that photo, I lost my mind, I was so excited. Totally knew we were in for something special.
The Collective
AG
I'd say Batman movies have a nice history of this... Affleck, Keaton, Heath Ledger, Anne Hathaway.
CubbieAggie
AG
CJS4715 said:

I'd say Batman movies have a nice history of this... Affleck, Keaton, Heath Ledger, Anne Hathaway.
George Clooney, Arnold Shwarze... Wait, nevermind.
Presley OBannons Sword
yeah this thread pretty much begins and ends with ledger

wildcat08
AG
Robert Duvall as Gus in Lonesome Dove. Thought they had lost their minds when I first read that. Now I can't imagine anyone else in that role.
The Collective
AG
And...waiting for the derivative of this thread
M.C. Swag
AG
uhh how about this guy:

Casted to become this guy:
dreyOO
Even though I'm a fan of Denzel's work, I was also a big fan of the Equalizer series. Didn't seem like a fit.

But I loved the update. Hope they make a couple more.

I'll also admit that I don't like when Leo gets cast in physical roles. I just don't think you can stretch certain frame limitations. But it retrospect, I think he did well in the Departed. Just have a hard time seeing him as a gangster.

Lastly, markie mark recently pleased me by doing a decent job in deepwater horizon and in lone survivor. I used to roll my eyes when he was cast for ANY role. Now, I'm kinda enjoying his projects.
trueaggie2782
AG

Steve Zahn as Al Giordino in Sahara
AR_Ag95
AG
Katee Sackhoff as Starbuck was nails!
bearamedic99
AG
ok_ag95 said:

Katee Sackhoff as Starbuck was nails!
Same with Edward James Olmos
Sapper Redux
Jeff Goldblum as Ian Malcolm.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Max Power said:

I remember this like it was yesterday. The second that promo shot dropped, I was like 'Damn. I see you, Chris Nolan. I see you.'
Geriatric Punk
AG
Pitt as Lt. Aldo Reins (sp?) in Inglorius. I didn't like him at first. After my 2nd watch, I couldn't see anyone else played that role.
Straight Talk
AG
Robert Duvall - Gus McCray
Maveric
AG
Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. Too tall.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Maveric said:

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. Too tall.

I guess they could have cast Danny DeVito
WildcatAg
AG
chuckpaddick
Buck O Five
AG
Bradley Cooper as a raccoon.
Gomer95
AG
Michael Keaton as Batman.

Bruce Willis in Die Hard. I remember thinking "I bet this movie stinks because it has that goofy guy from Moonlighting playing an action hero" and 2 hours later I had just watched one of the greatest action heroes of all time.
israeliag
AG
Danny Devito in Always Sunny.
Clavell
AG
Maybe Tom Cruise as Lestat...?

nah, still think bad choice
MandoArms
Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.