Scorsese and Leo making serial killer film - Devil in the White City

4,037 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Texmid
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And not just a serial killer, but one who makes most bad guys look like sane underachievers. We were talking about it in the timeless thread because this dude was the subject of this week's show but I thought it others might be interested - first link is the movie update, second is the serial killer's backstory. Definitely Story spoilers there but this will be something to behold I would guess.

http://screenrant.com/scorsese-devil-white-city-dicaprio-script-update/

http://www.the-line-up.com/dr-hh-holmes-murder-castle/
jeffk
AG
Fascinating story as his killings set against the backdrop of the Chicago World's Fair.

I'll go ahead and be that guy and suggest that anyone interested give the book a read. It's fantastic.
agdoc2001
AG
Scorsese and DiCaprio? Together? Finally!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
jeffk said:

Fascinating story as his killings set against the backdrop of the Chicago World's Fair.

I'll go ahead and be that guy and suggest that anyone interested give the book a read. It's fantastic.

Great book. Should be a great movie
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I can see the Oscar statues already. Very small of course.
nai06
AG
Im one of the few people that didnt like book. I feel like it barely scratched the surface of HH Holmes and his murders. It was mainly the minute details of planning of the fair and murders were a nice side story.
The Collective
AG
Leo playing a deeply disturbed dude? He's got this.
Bird Poo
AG
nai06 said:

Im one of the few people that didnt like book. I feel like it barely scratched the surface of HH Holmes and his murders. It was mainly the minute details of planning of the fair and murders were a nice side story.
Is there more evidence out there that the book ignored? After all, the number of people estimated to have died at his hand is between 9-200!
BEaggie08
AG
nai06 said:

My wife didn't like it either. She said the same things as you. She felt like it focused on minutia too much and that she didn't know if the focal point of the book was supposed to be the World's Fair or the serial killer.
nai06
AG
BEaggie08 said:

nai06 said:

My wife didn't like it either. She said the same things as you. She felt like it focused on minutia too much and that she didn't know if the focal point of the book was supposed to be the World's Fair or the serial killer.
That was my feeling as well. I feel like the book was marketed to be about the serial killer when the majority of the text was about the worlds fair. Thats not to say its a bad book, but I think there was an issue when it comes to managing expectations. I was expecting something very different than what was delivered
OasisMan
AG
Hm
I just listened to a documentary on him
Sapper Redux
The book is supposed to juxtapose these two opposite trends of industrialization, urbanization, and the 20th Century: the marvels of technology and engineering and the depravity of men towards one another. Holmes was the first really publicized and known serial killer as we understand the term and the pathology. He was also a truly sick, disturbing case.
elfurioso92
AG
nai06 said:

I didn't care for it either for the same reason. The level of detail describing the planning and execution of the world's fair made the Holmes chapters seem that much more superficial. I can see this making a good movie though.
jeffk
AG
I really like the World's Fair parts - history nerd alert!
MASAXET
AG
nai06 said:

BEaggie08 said:

nai06 said:

That was my feeling as well. I feel like the book was marketed to be about the serial killer when the majority of the text was about the worlds fair. Thats not to say its a bad book, but I think there was an issue when it comes to managing expectations. I was expecting something very different than what was delivered

That's actually one of the reasons I surprisingly loved the book. I bought for the serial killer, but kept reading because of the fair. The race to get that done and shear magnitude is mind boggling, and I found it really interesting. When that's juxtaposed against the killings, it's a really fun read
schmendeler
AG
this has been in the works for years. is there finally some actual progress being made?
Mort Rainey
So we'll be seeing this is 2023?
agmag90
GeorgePlimpton said:

So we'll be seeing this is 2023?
My thoughts exactly. I thought Scorese was working on "The Irishman"
BowSowy
AG
Read the article, it addresses the Irishman
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
jeffk said:

I really like the World's Fair parts - history nerd alert!

Same here
Garrelli 5000
AG
This is one of my favorite books of all-time. When watching this week's Timeless I thought I should re-read it. The fair was fascinating to me. The scope/timeline as mentioned, the description of how everything looked, the staggering amount of products that were debuted that still exist today...

Ever since I read the book I've hoped that someone could turn it into a movie with the appropriate budget to recreate the hotel and the fair. Can. Not. Wait.

Edit: After my grandfather's funeral we went to his house to survey the contents before heading home. Mom told my sister and I to take anything we wanted. Despite the memories of so much of the furniture and decorations, I didn't take any because at the end of the day it was just stuff that would have no place in my home.

However, I found something I didn't recall ever seeing before - a paperweight from the Chicago World's Columbian Expedition of 1893. Having just completed the Devil in the White City I was thrilled. It still sits on my desk in my home office today.
jeffk
AG
If you guys liked DITWC, give "Dead Wake" a read - story of the Lusitania and the German U-boat that sunk her. Same author, really well-done.
MW03
AG
jeffk said:

If you guys liked DITWC, give "Dead Wake" a read - story of the Lusitania and the German U-boat that sunk her. Same author, really well-done.
Same with In the Garden of Beasts, which is about the lavish Third Reich in 1933 through the eyes of the American ambassador leading up to the real start of Nazi aggression. Fascinating and terrifying and poignant.
Sex Panther
AG
MW03 said:

jeffk said:

Same with In the Garden of Beasts, which is about the lavish Third Reich in 1933 through the eyes of the American ambassador leading up to the real start of Nazi aggression. Fascinating and terrifying and poignant.

I'm gonna check this out... I'm pretty fascinated by the Nazi Party right now due to The Man In The High Castle.
schmendeler
AG
i enjoyed the garden of beasts more than dead wake. but both are good.
jeffk
AG
I haven't finished GOTB yet, but it's also really good so far.
MW03
AG
I've been meaning to watch Man in High Castle. Worth the time or skip it?
Sex Panther
AG
MW03 said:

I've been meaning to watch Man in High Castle. Worth the time or skip it?

I think it's great, and I think you would love it.

The general consensus here is that season 1 is decent to good and season 2 is excellent. 1st season drags a bit, but overall it's a really well done and thought provoking show.
chick79
AG
Erik Larsen wrote the book. Most of his books have dual storylines. I loved it. All his books are great. Hopefully the movie will deliver.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
I thoroughly enjoyed Devil in the White City. Larsson doesnt spend as much time on Holmes as i probably would have hoped for initially, but as i read i also found myself more curious about the Worlds Fair. Great book and crazy that it really wasnt all that long ago.

I am always excited about any book i enjoyed making it to the big screen but i have no doubt they will take a massive dose of creative license which usually kills a fair bit of my enjoyment,
JimboFlyFisher
AG
If we are talking Erik Larson books check out Isaac's Storm about the Galveston hurricane. Would probably make a great movie, like most of his books.
nai06
AG
AgInLV said:

If we are talking Erik Larson books check out Isaac's Storm about the Galveston hurricane. Would probably make a great movie, like most of his books.
by far my favorite of his books
Texmid
AG
There was a documentary type thing on HH Holmes on Netflix a while back. Not sure if it is still there or not.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.