The Young Pope on HBO

11,413 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JCRiley09
annie88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else going to watch this tonight? Looks fairly interesting.

I have it set for DVR

http://www.hbo.com/the-young-pope

jkag89
Have it set to record more or less for reference if there happens to be any discussion concerning it. The previews don't give me much that it will be worth watching otherwise.
WES2006AG
AG
HBO has had some recent misses. I am looking forward to seeing if this one lives up to the hype.
annie88
AG
WES2006AG said:

HBO has had some recent misses. I am looking forward to seeing if this one lives up to the hype.
Yeah, me too. Jude Law can do amazing characters at times, so I think he might be good.
Sea Gull
AG
Any good? Worth watching?
annie88
AG
Ummmmmm. Hmmmmm.

Odd
Dark
Will probably watch again, but it's pretty damn weird.
AJ02
AG
That was not at all what I was expecting. Not sure I like it. I'll give it a few more episodes before I make a decision though.
Duncan Idaho
beautifully shot but right now it gets a Meh from me
SeattleAgJr
you can... "find" all 10 episodes if you look.
Teacher_Ag
AG
I love Jude Law as an actor, so I'll keep watching, but that first episode has me wondering where this is going. It's HBO so they get the benefit of the doubt.

So far to me the most intriguing thing is how they shot this...did the Vatican actually allow them to film there?
SwigAg11
AG
IMDB says it wasn't filmed in the Vatican.

I also doubt they gave them permission to film at the Vatican if they wouldn't let Angels & Demons.
Sea Gull
AG
Sounds like it's not my type. Not big on the dark, "artistic" shows.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Definitely coming from a different perspective. I'll give it a couple of more episodes also as they go to flashbacks to explain things more. I guess the crux they wanted to set up was "how the hell did this cat get elected as pope?"
Joan Wilder
AG
The opening 10 min were truly odd. I am hoping to see more "palace" intrigue and politics, so I'll keep watching. It didn't really suck me in though.

It is truly gorgeous to look at.
annie88
AG
The opening scene was bizarre. And his confession at the end I believe he wasn't kidding. Not what I was expecting as I said above but I might give it a few more shows. But overall just weird
Griffle
I actually liked it quite a bit. It's definitely a slow mover. He plays his character very well. Almost makes you cringe at times.
annie88
AG
Griffle said:

I actually liked it quite a bit. It's definitely a slow mover. He plays his character very well. Almost makes you cringe at times.
I agree. He went back-and-forth from being creepy to mean to selfish to greedy to angry and almost a little evil.
TCTTS
AG
Gave it 30 minutes and then gave up. Wasn't terrible or anything, I just don't think it's for me. That said, I can't imagine watching 10 hours.
mazzag
AG
I'll keep watching. It's fascinating and there's nothing else on.
JCRiley09
AG
I'm perplexed and intrigued. The handful of reviews I read were as odd as the show, which makes sense.

I'll give it one or two more episodes for sure.
jkag89

Just finished watching last night's episode.

Law was good playing Lenny (the Young Pope/Pius XIII). I'm intrigued by the Diane Keaton character (Sister Mary). I guess it piqued my interest enough to give it a shot beyond the first episode.
G Martin 87
AG
Watched the first 20 minutes. Nope.
annie88
AG
G Martin 87 said:

Watched the first 20 minutes. Nope.
It actually got better towards the end, but totally get where you're coming from. I'm intrigued enough to watch a few more, but we'll see. I also took it that sister is his actual mother, but maybe not.
Bird Poo
AG
Is there any historical truth to this show? I just get jaded when Hollywood creates false narratives about my religion.

Let me know when HBO releases 10 shows about Muhammad or any other Islamic religious figure.
JJxvi
AG
Watched the first ep. Man was that sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Second episode pulled me in a bit more. I guess the beautiful cinematography and great acting are enough for now to keep me in the game for now until I have more of a sense of where this is going. It's definitely different, I'll say that much.
annie88
AG
kayakag said:

Is there any historical truth to this show? I just get jaded when Hollywood creates false narratives about my religion.

Let me know when HBO releases 10 shows about Muhammad or any other Islamic religious figure.
Well, have there been unlikable, mean Popes? yes. Did historical Popes have sex and have children openly, some did. Were some corrupt, they were, so historical truth, yes?

The Papacy has had some very interesting scandals, especially 500 - 700 years ago. Modern ones as well, but the real juice is in the distant past.
bobinator
AG
It was definitely weird, I can't decide if I liked it or not, but I'll probably watch the next one.
schmendeler
AG
kayakag said:

Is there historical truth to a present day, 40's-ish pope being elected? I don't think so. not that there isn't ample historical fact to draw from when crafting this character.
TX AG 88
AG
My wife and I gave it a shot. I think we both only finished it because of the other. At the end we decided we weren't interested in continuing. Too artsy-fartsy, was our shared opinion.
powerbelly
AG
kayakag said:

Someone gets offended about their religion being used by hollywood but doesn't even care enough about said religion to know its history.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Watching this but not really sure as to why. Don't have anything else recording so it helps pass the time.

Overall it is definitely a "meh" for me. I have no idea what Lenny's plan or goal is other than "be creepy and brooding". The scenery is great but besides that I don't find a whole lot of positives from the show.
JCRiley09
AG
2nd episode came on yesterday. Definitely more intriguing. Might be hooked now.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
I like it. At this point is Lenny just egomaniacal, actually trying to bring down the Vatican, or does he have legit "miraculous" powers? The 'roo thing and what Sister Mary started to say before he shushed her make me wonder about the "miraculous" angle.

I'm hooked, don't think I'll be watching with my Catholic wife though.
Yesterday
AG
Loved the first episode. I'm glad I read everyone's thoughts here before I watched it. I went in with a different mindset and I'm glad I did because it would have totally thrown me off as well. My wife fell asleep.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.