Audible books recommendations

2,802 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Objective Aggie
Talon2DSO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm driving a ton and could use some great book recommendations. Currently listening to "Red Dragon" and "Speed of Trust". Also have listened to John Sandford novels and "Soldier of the great War "

What's on your list?
TX AG 88
AG
www.scottsigler.com

follow the links to podiobooks.com.

Great trilogy (Infected, Contagious, Pandemic)
Ancestor
Kissyman and The Gentleman
The Crypt
Plus some short story compilations and more.

ALL FREE. (you can tip the author, though!)
Prime0882
AG
The Hedge Knight (aka A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms on Amazon, aka The Tale of Dunk and Egg) by George R.R. Martin.

It's a prequel to the main series about the rise of a squire to becoming one of the best Kingsguards in the history of the realm. It's narrated by Harry Lloyd, who played Viserys (Dany's obnoxious brother) in the first and second(?) seasons of the show.

I really enjoyed his narration... felt like his voice added a lot to the book whereas other narrators have reduced my enjoyment of an audiobook.
TX AG 88
AG
also

http://www.openculture.com/freeaudiobooks

public domain books read by volunteers and/or celebrities or sometimes the authors.

AND

project gutenberg. free e-books. I'm thinking there must be an app that will do text-to-speech for those.

A lot of classics at these sites... Shakespeare, Twain, Dickens, etc. but also Asimov, Bradbury, Philip K Dick, etc.
G Martin 87
AG
I'm currently listening to the 10th Anniversary edition of Neil Gaiman's American Gods. The audiobook is done with a full voice cast. Excellent, if Gaiman is your thing.
sanangeloAG
AG
Hardcore History podcasts. There are 5 or 6 about World War 1 that are free right now. Easily 18+ hours of content.
Vernada
AG
I listened to Dune in November. It was one of the best audiobook 'performances' that I've ever listed to.
MASAXET
AG
Without any more guidance for what you like, here's some of my favorites from across the spectrum:

- Team of Rivals. Long but a great listen.

- The Martian. Some of the must fun I've had listening to an audiobook. Definitely keeps you locked in.

- World War Z. It had a full cast of voices and the format of the writing really lends itself to audio. Really fun book even if you're not a zombie fan.

- The Quiet Game. It's sort of a Grisham meets Crichton kind of novel, with some To Kill a Mockingbird themes. I really enjoyed it as a fun listen
Talon2DSO
AG
I'll listen to a number of subjects. I do prefer crime novels, mysteries, thrillers, biographies, history, and self improvement. I'm not much into fantasy. I know I'll get blasted here but Game of Thrones, The Hobbit, etc are not my thing. Other people love them so hopefully this thread can give them good ideas of books to read. Hopefully this thread can have a list of a number of books and subjects.
AR_Ag95
AG
Deadman Walk - narrated by Will Patton....part of the Lonesome Dove Series.

He also narrated Alas, Babylon.....which is great!
Whoop04
The Disaster Artist: My Life inside 'The Room', the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made
Engine10
AG
We Are Legion (We Are Bob) - Dennis Taylor, Narrated by Ray Porter. Kinda out there sci-fi but Ray Porter is one of the best narrators out there.
The Fear Saga - Stephen Moss, Narrated by RC Bray. Same as above, RC Bray also one of my favorite narrators.
kag00
AG
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Like 40 hours, but a great book. Historical fiction set in mid-evil Briton. Great history lesson along with great characters.

Old Man's War by John Scalzi is a good sci-fi with action and solid humor. Not a long one.
IowaAg07
AG
Not your bag, but Jim Dale reading Harry Potter is the best there is.

Maybe more your speed - I liked Matterhorn (Vietnam), The Martian (already recommended, but a fun listen), Steve Jobs, For One More Day (about mortality), and In Cold Blood. I would also second the Dan Carlin hardcore history podcasts, they are series with each episode being hours long.
CAR96
AG
Speaking of the Audio books for Harry Potter read by Jim Dale, why are they so expensive?

I have listed to samples and they are great, but how do you go about getting them at a fair (cheaper) price?
Talon2DSO
AG
If you subscribe, you get one free book per month.
IowaAg07
AG
I got all of those from the public library. You can get them digitally for a short time (my library is 3 weeks) with overdrive, but my library allows two renewals on physical media so I grabbed the CDs and kept them for like 6 weeks apiece. You can also rip them using a multitude of sources of you don't mind the ethics of that.
jbanda
AG
Extreme Ownership: How US Navy SEALS Lead and Win by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/audiobook/extreme-ownership-how-u.s./id1044798822
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow was really good. I was working on his Washington: A Life, but I kinda walked away from that for the time being due to having to be on the phone when I drive now, plus I've been more on a music-listening kick lately when I'm not.

Also, if podcasts are fair game, The British History Podcast is pretty good. Haven't gotten very far, but it's pretty well done. Guy's got a dry sense of humor.
Presley OBannons Sword
My problem is I really can only get really long audibles to get my money's worth, which severely limits my selection of truly "good" audibles
J.P. 03
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

My problem is I really can only get really long audibles to get my money's worth, which severely limits my selection of truly "good" audibles

You listened to Atlas Shrugged yet? It's close to 60 hours if memory serves, plus you get instant street cred on the Politics board if you incorporate quotes from it into your posts there.
CorpsAg11
AG
Rosemary's Baby, read by Rosemary herself (Mia Farrow)
hunter2012
AG
Any of the new canon Star Wars books, they put in the Star Wars affects and voices. It's almost like its a recorded screenplay.
Presley OBannons Sword
J.P. 03 said:

Presley OBannons Sword said:

You listened to Atlas Shrugged yet? It's close to 60 hours if memory serves, plus you get instant street cred on the Politics board if you incorporate quotes from it into your posts there.

Yep, and Gone With the Wind, another super long one
titanmaster_race
Leviathan Wakes - James S. A. Corey

The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

As You Wish - Cary Elwes

can't go wrong with any of the harry potter books
H6RBW
AG
Try the Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell. The first in the series is The Last Kingdom. I listened to the entire series on Audible two summers ago when I was having to do a ton of driving. It is historical fiction, set in 9th and 10th century Britain, dealing with the wars between the Vikings and Saxons. Although there is discussion of magic (because people at the time believed in it) there's no actual magic in the stories, so they're not fantasy novels if you don't like that genre. Can't recommend this series enough. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
MidnightYell2003
AG
hunter2012 said:

Any of the new canon Star Wars books, they put in the Star Wars affects and voices. It's almost like its a recorded screenplay.
I just finished up listening to "A New Hope - The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy" (basically a retelling of Star Wars Episode IV):
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21947304-a-new-hope---the-princess-the-scoundrel-and-the-farm-boy

It was just amazing on audio. I really felt like they had James Earle Jones playing Vader and Anthony Daniels as C-3PO.

Either way, did you find some good audio books to listen to?
ColoradoSkiGirl
I second Extreme Ownership. Hands-down the best leadership book I've ever read. It was about five hours long on Audible. Highly recommend.
Presley OBannons Sword
Extreme Ownership is just the class orientation. The real meat is in Jocko Podcast. Get after it.
OlRock
AG
The Martian

American Sniper

The Sword and Scale podcast has like 90 episodes and will keep you wanting more. If you can handle the content, it should take up a lot of your time
Objective Aggie
AG
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
  • The Martian
  • In Cold Blood
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (read by Sissy Spacek)
  • Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
  • Friday Night Lights
  • Essentialism

both Serials
TEDRadio Hour
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.