Patriot's Day

5,910 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PatAg
nai06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just don't think it looks like a good movie. Personally I'd rather watch a documentary rather than a fictionalized account of something like that. It leaves me wondering if they thought the real story wasn't good enough.
TCTTS
AG
This movie was phenomenal.

Finally saw it tonight, and I could not help but think throughout just how dumb and idiotic the "too soon" posters in this thread come across. This film could not have been made with more love, reverence, and respect for the individuals involved during that hellish and heroic week, and making money off of the victims was CLEARLY the last thing on anyone's mind involved with the production. In fact, I'll echo Wahlberg's sentiment in that it wasn't made soon enough.

As someone who watches/listens to the news continually, and kept up with the events that week daily, there was SO MUCH I didn't know that this movie taught me. Not only that, but it only confirmed what I suspected - that I'd come away with so much more respect and adoration for those involved, simply because no other medium allows you to get to know the characters like this. But what I didn't expect was just how patriotic I'd feel, and how poignant that message of "love" was toward the end. It made me want to do my part to take on any threat to our freedom I can, and that's something no newscast, article, or book could have done to that effect.

I'll concede that Wahlberg's character was somewhat pointless, and that Lionsgate/CBS Films are chickensh*t for "needing" a star like Wahlberg in such an inconsequential role, but that's a small gripe, and it didn't take away from the experience at all. In fact, I was shocked at just how absorbed I was, even knowing the outcome. That, and the seamless use of all the real-life footage was just amazing. This practically was a documentary.

Anyway, go see this movie if you haven't already, and don't listen to all these morons negatively commenting without having actually seen it for themselves. They're clearly terrorists, and must be defeated (kidding... kind of).
schmendeler
AG
Say hello to your mother for me!
MrPlow2010
AG
I agree with everything you said. The movie was great and so respectful of all the victims and officers and others that day. I really wish more people got out to see it and support it.
TCTTS
AG
And not to get too serious/political, but with all this Trump bullsh*t going on, and with how divided the country has been these past months, perhaps this movie's greatest accomplishment is to serve as a reminder just how petty our differences are in this country. There is a very real enemy out there who wants to completely eradicate our way of life, and now that we've got the election and the marching and everything else out of the way, it's time to unite and renew focus on these evil, misguided cowards. My biggest fear isn't what Trump will or won't do, it's that our attention is seemingly so preoccupied that it feels like the perfect time for someone to strike again. And not that there's much that we as citizens can do about ISIS and the like, but I'm ready for Trump to quit complaining about the media - and for the media to quit complaining about Trump - so this country can finally get its sh*t together and do what we can to quit the infighting and focus on the real enemy.

/end of overly concerned political post
TCTTS
AG
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go repeatedly scream "PATRIOTS DAY!!!" from the roof of my apartment for the next hour or so.
TMoney2007
AG
TCTTS said:

Finally saw it tonight, and I could not help but think throughout just how dumb and idiotic the "too soon" posters in this thread come across. This film could not have been made with more love, reverence, and respect for the individuals involved during that hellish and heroic week, and making money off of the victims was CLEARLY the last thing on anyone's mind involved with the production. In fact, I'll echo Wahlberg's sentiment in that it wasn't made soon enough.

As someone who watches/listens to the news continually, and kept up with the events that week daily, there was SO MUCH I didn't know that this movie taught me. Not only that, but it only confirmed what I suspected - that I'd come away with so much more respect and adoration for those involved, simply because no other medium allows you to get to know the characters like this. But what I didn't expect was just how patriotic I'd feel, and how poignant that message of "love" was toward the end. It made me want to do my part to take on any threat to our freedom I can, and that's something no newscast, article, or book could have done to that effect.

I'll concede that Wahlberg's character was somewhat pointless, and that Lionsgate/CBS Films are chickensh*t for "needing" a star like Wahlberg in such an inconsequential role, but that's a small gripe, and it didn't take away from the experience at all. In fact, I was shocked at just how absorbed I was, even knowing the outcome. That, and the seamless use of all the real-life footage was just amazing. This practically was a documentary.

Anyway, go see this movie if you haven't already, and don't listen to all these morons negatively commenting without having actually seen it for themselves. They're clearly terrorists, and must be defeated (kidding... kind of).
... So, you see a movie and think about what people on the Internet say about it? I doubt they give as much weight to your opinions as you do theirs...

Way to bring it back with another wall of text about how awesome this movie is.

I just don't like the genre. If I want to learn about an event, I'll go read about it, not go watch a super condensed, usually heavily compromised version of a story put through the studio process. Additionally, the promos include "they messed with the wrong city"... I really can't think of anything more ridiculously trite than that.

This kind of film doesn't bring these events into the national consciousness in any truly meaningful way, and certainly no more than the news does. To think a Hollywood film is going to be less biased than the news is silly. They're both going to end up editorialized.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

... So, you see a movie and think about what people on the Internet say about it? I doubt they give as much weight to your opinions as you do theirs...
Truly makes no difference to me.

Quote:

Way to bring it back with another wall of text about how awesome this movie is.
Sick burn.

Quote:

I just don't like the genre. If I want to learn about an event, I'll go read about it, not go watch a super condensed, usually heavily compromised version of a story put through the studio process. Additionally, the promos include "they messed with the wrong city"... I really can't think of anything more ridiculously trite than that.
The movie itself is/includes none of those things.

Quote:

This kind of film doesn't bring these events into the national consciousness in any truly meaningful way, and certainly no more than the news does.
Never claimed that it did.

Quote:

To think a Hollywood film is going to be less biased than the news is silly. They're both going to end up editorialized.
What are you even talking about at this point?

Honestly, it's just super weird and a little sad how much you're going out of your way to bash something you supposedly don't care about and haven't even seen.

My deepest apologies for being enthusiastic about what I felt was an inspiring, well-made movie. I will do my best to judge/complain before I see the movie next time.
drewbie08
AG
Just got back from it and I loved it. I hadn't read this thread before seeing it and was initially a little bummed to read after that Wahlberg's character was fictuous, but after reading why, it makes sense and didn't affect my overall view on the movie.

And I can understand people thinking this movie (among others) was made perhaps too soon, but I thought it was made very respectfully and gave me a better sense of what the town went through and felt. I left the theater a little teary eyed and wanting to scream "America, eff yeah!" while high-fiving strangers.

I remember reading a little about the Asian kid and the Watertown gun fight, but I did not know about the intensity of that fight and was at the edge of my seat the whole scene. I mean that little suburb was not prepared for what was about to happen, but they prevented it from being way worse...I didn't know that. I also didn't realize that the car-jacking victim probably saved as many lives as he did. Without him escaping, who knows how far the brothers get. They had a crap load of pipe bombs.

I work in the O&G industry and loved Deepwater Horizon as well. Knock Wahlberg all you want, but I like his team ups with Berg (Lone Survivor too).
MrPlow2010
AG
It's a damn shame that movies like Monster Trucks does better Patriots Day over the weekend.
nashvilleaggie11
Agree.
AgPediRPh
AG
It was okay. There was NO element of surprise since it was such a recent event and it was fresh in our memories.

That said, Jin Yang stole the show!
drewbie08
AG
jjmanzano said:

It was okay. There was NO element of surprise since it was such as recent event and it was fresh in our memories.

That said, Jin Yang stole the show!
There might have been no element of surprise...but as he was timing his escape from the SUV, my heart rate was through the roof. I knew exactly what was going to happen but I could barely breathe at the same time. That scene was INTENSE.
ToddyHill
AG
My wife and I saw the movie Saturday night and thoroughly enjoyed it. As a Boston area native, she was extremely emotional throughout the movie. One disappointment...a scene filmed in her home town this past April didn't make it thru to the movie. All in all though....a great film that I would recommend to everyone.

P.S. Big Poppi is awesome!
ro828
We saw it Saturday and were very, very impressed. I was disappointed that it didn't get any Oscar nominations. It was completely engrossing from the first scene to the end.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Saw it tonight and loved it. Peter Berg and Whalberg have teamed up to make some really solid movies lately. The interviews at the end, especially with the couple featured in the movie, got me pretty emotional. Always a good reminder on how you can have so much taken from you in the blink of an eye when you least expect it.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

You and I normally have similar takes on most movies, and I'm not against making movies about differebt tragic events that occur. Some are good, some are bad, the genre itself doesn't make it bad.

I saw the trailer before the Deepwater Horizon movie(a movie about a tragic event that was actually pretty good imo) and it rubbed me the wrong way. Just felt like a money thing/exploitation. Maybe it was the voice over, or how it was cut. I don't have any connections to the events. Not sure why you felt the need to be a complete dick about it. Say hello to your mother for me.
PatAg
AG
That being said the numerous good reviews on here means ill check it out.
Mort Rainey
PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

You and I normally have similar takes on most movies, and I'm not against making movies about differebt tragic events that occur. Some are good, some are bad, the genre itself doesn't make it bad.

I saw the trailer before the Deepwater Horizon movie(a movie about a tragic event that was actually pretty good imo) and it rubbed me the wrong way. Just felt like a money thing/exploitation. Maybe it was the voice over, or how it was cut. I don't have any connections to the events. Not sure why you felt the need to be a complete dick about it. Say hello to your mother for me.
Have you read all of his comments? That's just how this guy is
TCTTS
AG
Ha, so let me get this straight... I'm a dick for actually making the effort to SEE the movie, and then claim that it's NONE of the things that everyone who HASN'T seen it claims it to be?. This is such a bizarre thread. My post was in response to the all the people who haven't seen it - like yourself - who keep insisting that this movie is simply, and objectively, something that it's not. If that makes me a dick, then so be it. But I'm not going to back down from the ignorance on display in this thread. Just because a trailer rubbed you the wrong way doesn't make the movie itself what you claim it to be.
Noblemen06
AG
Count me as another dick that thought it was great! Rollercoaster of strong emotions for anyone that loves this country.
Mort Rainey
TCTTS said:

Ha, so let me get this straight... I'm a dick for actually making the effort to SEE the movie, and then claim that it's NONE of the things that everyone who HASN'T seen it claims it to be?. This is such a bizarre thread. My post was in response to the all the people who haven't seen it - like yourself - who keep insisting that this movie is simply, and objectively, something that it's not. If that makes me a dick, then so be it. But I'm not going to back down from the ignorance on display in this thread. Just because a trailer rubbed you the wrong way doesn't make the movie itself what you claim it to be.

schmendeler
AG
GeorgePlimpton said:

TCTTS said:

learn the posting style of the board, dude.
Mort Rainey
schmendeler said:

GeorgePlimpton said:

TCTTS said:

learn the posting style of the board, dude.
cool
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

PatAg
AG
So I went to see it. I though it was very well done, and certainly impactful. I guess I didn't appreciate being lumped in with people saying it sucks or stuff along those lines, when I literally just said "it looks like a paygrab". I never said it was, and you definitely were pretty jerky. That also doesn't mean I said YOU were a jerk, because I don't think that's the case.

I really don't know how I had not known that date was already called Patriot's Day, my mind must have just filtered out, so when I saw the trailer that certainly didn't help my perception. It seemed contrived.

anyways, really good movie, should know better than to doubt Peter Berg.
Squirrel Master
AG
Sidenote, but I've always thought its pretty cool that Boston has its own regional holiday for Patriot's Day - schools are out, the marathon happens, and the Sox play a Monday day game. We don't have anything that really compares down here.
PatAg
AG
Squirrel Master said:

Sidenote, but I've always thought its pretty cool that Boston has its own regional holiday for Patriot's Day - schools are out, the marathon happens, and the Sox play a Monday day game. We don't have anything that really compares down here.
Seems like we should make a bigger deal out of Texas Independence?
agsquirrel97
AG
TCTTS said:

Do you really think the only reason they made it was for profit? A movie that honors the heroes and lives lost can be its own form of respect and reverence.

TCTTS, I have great respect for you on this forum but I disagree. When it was discussed how much political views play into selecting movies to make, you said it was not a factor, movies get made based on their ability to make money, not based on their ability to make a political point (paraphrasing).

Can't have it both ways.
TCTTS
AG
I said it wasn't a factor the vast majority of the time. I was very deliberate in that post not to speak in absolutes and to leave the door cracked open.

Regardless, I never once even thought of this movie as having "political views," or being in the same vicinity as the type of movies being referenced in that thread. It portrays heroes as heroes and cowards as cowards. There's absolutely no liberal/conservative agenda, which was what the post you're referring to was about (in a thread asking me about Hollywood's liberal bent, for those wondering). Sure, Patriots Day is pro-America, but not in a political sense. It's literally about love and overcoming tragedy - not about conservatism, liberalism, or any political -isms winning the day.

That, and one of my main points in this thread concerns the casting of Wahlberg and how, only with a star of his caliber, could the studio pull the trigger on making the movie. Which obviously implies that they wouldn't do it unless they could break even at the very least. So, of course the studio made the movie with the hopes of seeing some kind of profit. Same with any newscast, book, or article. But they can ALSO make it with the aim of honoring the heroes and victims of the tragedy. There's a huge difference between making something simply to cash in on the grief, pain, and lives lost in a tragedy - and making something that's both fiscally responsible and respectfully inspiring. My overall point was that it was FAR more than some kind of cash grab - but also, yeah, they have to still try and make money (hence the entire Wahlberg point I belabored). Why does it have to be as black and white as you say it does?

It really is like some of you read certain posts and only glean what you want them to say - or - you just flat out don't grasp the nuanced points being made.
PatAg
AG
Definitely didn't pick up on any political messages, going either way. I think if anyone did they were looking for them
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.