Patriot's Day

5,911 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PatAg
nashvilleaggie11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GO SEE IT. I can't say enough good things about it. Intense. Emotional. Amazing. Everyone in our theater clapped at the end. Let me know your thoughts.
Silvertaps
AG
Great movie. The way they worked the movie into actually surveillance footage was really fascinating to see. I watched it in Framingham, MA today (suburb of Boston). People were cheering and crying throughout the movie...but the place especially loved the cop towards the end mention he was from Framingham.
The cop watching over the boy killed and left on the street all night was tough to watch.
MrPlow2010
AG
I loved it. I liked it more than Lone Survivor and Deepwater Horizon. It was a very emotional movie and people in my theater were crying at the end. Peter Berg really knows how to make tense scenes.

I never knew any thing about the Asian kid and how they stole his car. Jian Yang from silicon valley was pretty damn good. I've only seen him act in silicon valley. It took me a while to realize that the Muslim wife was Supergirl from the cw shows.

I admit I love movies that make you wanna yell 'Murica at the end that show Americans coming together to get the bad guys. This movie was much better than I thought it was going to be. Very happy I went to see it.
Tobias Funke
AG
Silvertaps said:

Great movie. The way they worked the movie into actually surveillance footage was really fascinating to see. I watched it in Framingham, MA today (suburb of Boston). People were cheering and crying throughout the movie...but the place especially loved the cop towards the end mention SHE was from Framingham.
The cop watching over the boy killed and left on the street all night was tough to watch.

FIFY
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
It's about the British teaming up with an army of Aliens and trying to invade the US, only to be thwarted by Mel Gibson and Will Smith, right?
Big Al 1992
AG
The special HBO did was very good. Looking forward to seeing the movie.
chipotle
I'm not going to say whether it was good or bad but I know what I'm going to call an iron from here on out.
Mort Rainey
I've been hesitant to see this. Not super in to the idea of people making millions of money off this when the victims (including a kid) haven't even been dead five years. Am I crazy? It just seems unseemly that these people couldn't wait any amount of time at all before trying to profit off of it
TCTTS
AG
Do you really think the only reason they made it was for profit? A movie that honors the heroes and lives lost can be its own form of respect and reverence.
Tobias Funke
AG
GeorgePlimpton said:

I've been hesitant to see this. Not super in to the idea of people making millions of money off this when the victims (including a kid) haven't even been dead five years. Am I crazy? It just seems unseemly that these people couldn't wait any amount of time at all before trying to profit off of it

I think seeing it will assuage that concern. It is extremely respectfully done
tdm89
Saw it today, and really enjoyed it. Intense and emotional.
JuliusCaesarAggie
This bombing never would have happened if Mark Wahlberg had been there. Would have been a bloodbath at the finishline.
Mort Rainey
JuliusCaesarAggie said:

This bombing never would have happened if Mark Wahlberg had been there. Would have been a bloodbath at the finishline.

Exactly. Forgive me if I don't think this guy is as geniuine as the rest of the posters on here. If only the 9/11 flight passengers had loved their families as much as Mark...
agmag90
This was a really well done movie, and is my favorite Peter Berg movie.

I remember seeing the first trailers for this thinking I wouldn't see it in theaters. I too was a little hesitant to see this movie b/c of the whole profit off a tragedy type of mindset and it also struck me as a little "too soon". When I left that was the farthest thing from my mind, and I encourage people to go and see this. I was really surprised how emotional this movie was, this is the closest I've probably ever been to crying in a theatre. I think Berg did the best he could to tell the entire story of these events while keeping the movie's focus on the stories and hope of the victims/survivors.
Tobias Funke
AG
GeorgePlimpton said:

JuliusCaesarAggie said:

Exactly. Forgive me if I don't think this guy is as geniuine as the rest of the posters on here. If only the 9/11 flight passengers had loved their families as much as Mark...

I don't follow what either of you are trying to say...
agmag90
Tobias Funke said:

GeorgePlimpton said:

JuliusCaesarAggie said:

They are referencing when Wahlberg commented in 2012 that he could have stopped 9/11 had he been on the plane. For reference:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2012/01/mark-wahlberg-thinks-he-could-have-stopped-911.html

captkirk
AG
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Do you really think the only reason they made it was for profit? A movie that honors the heroes and lives lost can be its own form of respect and reverence.
I think making a movie about it this soon after feels like they are trying to profit off it in some way, yes. I'm surprised people want to see this.
TCTTS
AG
So the story shouldn't be told simply because people happen to be making money off of it? You realize that the news organizations covering it as it happened, and the websites & papers writing stories about it - they all "profited" from the event in real time. And yes, it's their job to report the news, and this story didn't have to be told in movie form, but what if it reaches and inspires people who wouldn't have otherwise fully known about the details of the event? Heck, in this very thread, the movie informed an aspect of the story (about the Asian kid) that someone didn't previously know about. Should that person have read a book covering the events instead, or watched a documentary to gain the extra insight - both of which "profited" from this story as well? I just don't understand where this imaginary line is supposed to be drawn, and why, out of all the mediums mentioned, the feature film is the one that should be reprimanded, in your opinion. I haven't seen the movie yet, but plan on doing so soon, and I imagine I'll learn more about the event - and perhaps feel even more empathy and have even more respect for the heroes that day - than I did through any newscast or article. Yet, according to you, that's somehow wrong or "too soon." I don't get it.
HeadGames
AG
Loved the movie
gigemJTH12
AG
PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

I think making a movie about it this soon after feels like they are trying to profit off it in some way, yes. I'm surprised people want to see this.
wangus12
AG
PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

Flight 93 was made only 5 years after 9/11. I'm looking forward to seeing this. As a marathon runner, this might hit me pretty hard
Ag Since 83
AG
I really enjoyed this movie and have liked all of Berg and Wahlberg's real life story team ups.

This is the type of movie that can teach you a lot about important events in today's world. I of course watched the news back then (in fact I was working from home on Patriots Day 2013 and ended up getting to watch the new unfold in near real time on TV while relaying info to my friends at the office, including one who was from the Boston area) but there was so much I didn't really know about, like how the carjack victim got away and just how crazy the shootout in Watertown got (I had to look it up after seeing the movie, wondering if they went for Hollywood action hyperbole - it doesn't seem like it)
JuliusCaesarAggie
agmag90 said:

Tobias Funke said:

GeorgePlimpton said:

JuliusCaesarAggie said:

They are referencing when Wahlberg commented in 2012 that he could have stopped 9/11 had he been on the plane. For reference:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2012/01/mark-wahlberg-thinks-he-could-have-stopped-911.html

Add the fact that he shoehorns in that he would be in first class also. What a massive d**khead.
Gigem314
AG
JuliusCaesarAggie said:

"Say there terrorist, how's it goin'? Say hello to ya mother for me!"
Mort Rainey
AggieIce
AG
Aside from that whole 4th Amendment thingy:

Quote:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
AggieSouth06
Perpetuating a grown man's fantasy of inserting himself into tragic situations by creating a made up hero character with a HAAAAHT OF GOLD that makes the actual heroes (FBI, law enforcement) look like bumblef*** morons.

I hear it's really well-made but I'll skip. Don't fault anyone for going to see a movie, but I can't get around the Wahlberg delusion factor.
Tobias Funke
AG
AggieSouth06 said:

Perpetuating a grown man's fantasy of inserting himself into tragic situations by creating a made up hero character with a HAAAAHT OF GOLD that makes the actual heroes (FBI, law enforcement) look like bumblef*** morons.

I hear it's really well-made but I'll skip. Don't fault anyone for going to see a movie, but I can't get around the Wahlberg delusion factor.

Considering his character doesn't actually do anything heroic in the movie, your opinion is pretty wrong
TCTTS
AG
It took me a while to understand that TexAgs basically assumes the worse in every person/situation, and then immediately convinces themselves that that assumption is fact, regardless of evidence to the contrary or actually researching the subject on their own.

As for this instance, in particular, director Peter Berg said that Whalberg's character is based on two real-life officers - one who was at the finish line and tended to the injured, and then one who was involved in the manhunt. They needed a single character who was part of both events, and they didn't want to single-out one, real-life person and fudge their actions, thereby holding one officer above all others and disrespecting everyone else. So they created a composite character and this decision was made in conjunction with the Boston Chief of Police. In fact, every step of the development process not only sought the approval of Boston officials, but was made with the upmost respect of everyone involved.

On a more blunt, movie-making level, Berg said that they needed a single, composite character not only for narrative purposes, but also because the movie doesn't get made without a single, starring role, i.e. a Wahlberg-level actor. And by "doesn't get made" I mean doesn't get funded. So, because he felt that this story was an important one to tell, Berg (obviously) went through with it.

You can hear all of this for yourself in Bill Simmons' latest podcast (linked to below), in which Berg talks very eloquently and very respectfully about why, exactly, he wanted to make this movie. Simmons even gives the same reasoning the poster here did (and that I echoed) about having no idea about the Asian kid's story, and how great it was to learn that. Berg then sings the kid's praises and tells a hilarious story about interviewing him.

Again, without this movie, certain people's stories during this event just simply don't reach the social conscienceless, and a movie like this can not only take it's time in telling the story with reverence, but also outlasts today's here-and-it's-gone news cycle.

But, you know, ***k the filmmakers for making money or whatever...

https://soundcloud.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/ep-163-conference-championship-lines-with-cousin-sal-and-patriots-day-with-peter-berg
(the interview itself starts at the 46:50 mark)
Mort Rainey
TCTTS said:

It took me a while to understand that TexAgs basically assumes the worse in every person/situation, and then immediately convinces themselves that that assumption is fact, regardless of evidence to the contrary or - gasp - actually researching the subject on their own.

As for this instance, in particular, the truth of the mater is that director Peter Berg said that Whalberg's character is based on two real-life officers - one who was at the finish line and tended to the injured, and then one who was involved in the manhunt. They needed a single character who was part of both events, and they didn't want to single-out one, real-life person and fudge their actions, thereby holding one officer above all others and disrespecting everyone else. So they created a composite character and this decision was made in conjunction with the Boston Chief of Police. In fact, every step of the development process not only sought the approval of Boston officials, but was made with the upmost respect of everyone involved.

On a more blunt, movie-making level, Berg said that they needed a single, composite character not only for narrative purposes, but also because the movie doesn't get made without a single, starring role, i.e. a Wahlberg-level actor. And by "doesn't get made" I mean doesn't get funded. So, because he felt that this story was an important one to tell, Berg (obviously) went through with it.

You can hear all of this for yourself in Bill Simmons' latest podcast (linked to below), in which Berg talks very eloquently and very respectfully about why, exactly, he wanted to make this movie. Simmons even gives the same reasoning the poster here did (and that I echoed) about having no idea about the Asian kid's story, and how great it was to learn that. Berg then sings the kid's praises and tells a hilarious story about interviewing him.

Again, without this movie, certain people's stories during this event just simply don't reach the social conscienceless, and a movie like this can not only take it's time in telling the story with reverence, but also outlasts today's here-and-it's-gone news cycle.

But, you know, ***k the filmmakers for making money or whatever...

https://soundcloud.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/ep-163-conference-championship-lines-with-cousin-sal-and-patriots-day-with-peter-berg
(the interview itself starts at the 46:50 mark)

Oh look, a self righteous old fart lecturing all of us with a novel that includes a link to bill Simmons. I'll pass
TCTTS
AG
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
Well spent money on this movie today.
Will recommend to my friends.
Peter Berg knows how to entertain.
OldArmy71
AG
Good movie. I understand why they used Wahlberg, both as a composite character and as a star, but I didn't think he brought a thing to the movie. They could have left him out completely and had a better movie.

I did not know how many pipe bombs the two brothers tossed at police. That whole fight sequence was very well done.

As others have said, seeing all the real footage again was very effective. That surviving brother needs to be dead two years ago. Little better than a mindless savage.
P.C. Principal
GeorgePlimpton said:

I think this is such a negative mindset. Thinking that any movie made about a tragic event is just to cash in on other people's grief.

How many movies have been made about tragic events? A ton. Go see this one before you make this kind of judgment. The movie respects the victims way more than these sanctimonious "too soon" posts on this thread.

It's a very powerful, moving film. I just saw it tonight and was in tears when the credits rolled.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.