Nirvana vs Pearl Jam vs Smashing Pumpkins

8,915 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TyHolden
Mort Rainey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Which was the best band at their peak? Who produced the best material?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Smashing Pumpkins is the only one I still listen to regularly. I make fun of the way Pearl Jam sings the most.
rhutton125
AG
Pearl Jam, no question

Edit: no question in my mind, I mean. It's a worthwhile topic but I'm 100% in the PJ camp for this one.
chipotle
Pearl Jam, make me fries
Professor Frick
AG
Soundgarden
Flashdiaz
AG
Temple of the Dog
MaroonStain
AG
Siamese Dream is the best album. PJ ---> best band. Nirvana was a novelty but did provide us with Foo.
astros4545
AG
Alice In Chains
SeattleAgJr
Duran Duran
Malcolm52
AG
Prefer Candlebox actually
Bruce Almighty
AG
I think Ten is the best album of the grunge era. Nirvana ended after three albums and I think Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins declined after their first three albums. If I were to judge the bands on just their first three, I'd probably go Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins.
62strat
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I think Ten is the best album of the grunge era. Nirvana ended after three albums and I think Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins declined after their first three albums. If I were to judge the bands on just their first three, I'd probably go Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins.
AIC takes the cake for first 3 in my opinion. While those 3 were declining as time went on, AIC got better from 1 to 3 (well specifically, facelift to dirt to jar of flies.. you can include sap if you like, since it's an ep just like JOF)

I always thought Ten was more rock than 'grunge'. Nirvana, AIC and SG were grunge, they had that edge that PJ didn't... and I think Dirt is the best out of those.

Bruce Almighty
AG
I've never been a huge AIC fan. I like their hits, but could never really get into their albums. Actually, of all the "grunge" bands, STP is the one I find myself listening to the most.
LHIOB
AG
Weezer
Human
AG
The Clash
jabberwalkie09
AG
Smashing Pumpkins
PatriotAg02
AG

The Siamese Dream - Mellon Collie era was top notch. So much great material that never even got published. Look up session tracks from that era. I still listen to all of that regularly.
PatriotAg02
AG
By the way, Corgan hated being thrown in with the grunge scene.

Yet, here we are.
Farmer1906
AG
I like more Nirvana's songs than the other two and they obviously had the shortest lifespan.
superunknown
AG
Professor Frick said:

Soundgarden
Know Your Enemy
AG
Out of the three mentioned, it's Pearl Jam easily for me.

Overall from the Seattle/grunge scene I'd go with Alice In Chains.
Blanco Ag
AG
Tough call, but I agree that PJ is the best band, SP had the best album (Siamese Dream), and Nirvana was great but their run was too short.
Goldie Wilson
Potato wave
TyHolden
AG
Stp- Pearl Jam ripped them off
Blanco Ag
Geriatric Punk
AG
Wow. Smashing Pumpkins over Nirvana?
Mr. White
Geriatric Punk said:

Wow. Smashing Pumpkins over Nirvana?

What, you don't enjoy listening to the human band saw whine out Tonight, Tonight over and over?
Bunk Moreland
Give me Nirvana. I respect the hell out of Pearl Jam, but overall they just aren't my thing.
Shelton98
AG
At their peak.... Nirvana.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Pumpkins. They produced a large volume of awesome material, and even if it wasn't your cup of tea, Billy was pretty progressive to try out so many different sounds and keep experimenting. I agree that SD-MCIS is the peak, but even still a handful of tracks from Adore-Machina are really cool.
Lance Uppercut
AG
To answer the given question:

1. Pearl Jam
2. Smashing Pumpkins
3. Nirvana

To post my actual answer that some others already threw in:

Soundgarden. A group where in a ton of their songs, everyone in the band is doing something cool.
Goldie Wilson
My personal enjoyment of the bands mentioned in this thread:

1. AIC
2. Soundgardan
3. STP
4. Nirvana
5. Pearl Jam
6. Smashing Pumpkins
AggieLumberjack
AG
My list is very similar to Dan's

1. AIC
2a. Soundgarden
2b. STP
3. Smashing Pumpkins
4. Nirvana
5. PJ

Wife loves PJ but I just seem to switch the radio more often than not when they come on.
Trident 88
AG
Pearl Jam was the best of the three, but I skip their songs now.

None of these bands were truly great.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Of the 3 I listened to PJ the most, although lord knows Nirvana was permanently burned into my brain as much as I listened to it.

In no particular order, what they represented to me:

Nirvana - since I had just started playing guitar, Nirvana didn't do much for me upon first listen. Sure it was great that SLTS was easy to play, but the music was pretty boring. However, Nevermind was an album that drastically opened up the more I listened. It went from being noise to suddenly having melody. Once I heard the melody, the simplicity was amazing.

PJ - I remember buying 10 and SG's BadMotorFinger at the same time, a few days before seeing PJ open for SG at the Bronco Bowl. I was barely 16 and had zero business (nor balls) to drive from my small town into Dallas. My best friend's parents drove a few of us down, then picked us up afterwards. We were the first people in line that already had tickets. I remember standing outside and hearing PJ soundcheck to "Once". PJ was also a band that took a few listens for the hook to set, but once it did I was mesmerized. Like the progression of the intensity in each of their songs from the start of the song to the end, I almost felt like I began to vibrate as I lost myself in the music.

SP - I instantly loved them when I first heard Cherub Rock, then was ecstatic when I heard the rest of the album had the same hard rock, extremely melodic, and <gasp> guitar solos that weren't blues based noodling but sounded crafted for the song....Loved SP. Oddly, it was the album I listened to the least of these however. I don't own it today, but keep telling myself to add it to Spotify. I never bought another SP album, although there future radio hits were hummable.

I still listen to AIC and Soundgarden, going on a kick at least once a year. I still go to their concerts occasionally. I can't say the same for PJ, and SP is a moot point.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.