****Books Read in 2017****

18,202 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bodaciousbood14
mrsbeer05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didn't see one for this year so here it goes...

Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins- A+, I'd actually read it previously when I taught and reread it now for work. This was Collins's major series before Hunger Games. A great book for 3rd-8th grade. The protagonist is a middle school boy and the major characters are rats, bats, and cockroaches, but several of my 5th grade girls loved it as much as my boys.
schmendeler
AG
Appetites - Anthony Bourdain
The Long Walk - Richard Bachman (Stephen King) - still reading
Clavell
AG
1) Anne Rice's "Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis". Series has been a guilty pleasure for me since read "Interview with a Vampire" when in college. That said this book was too much of an attempt to just tie up all the "science" that would allow this world to exist. (B-)

Next: Terry Goodkind's "Nest". Read his Sword of Truth books, but this moves into non fantasy. Crime plus supernatural abilities?
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Le Carre : The Pigeon Tunnel - Stories from My Life . Last part about his father - a con man - in and out of jail but sometimes riding in a Bentley with a chauffeur !

Le Carre : Call for the Dead

William F. Buckley jr. : Spytime : The Undoing of James Jesus Angleton
JABQ04
AG
"An Army at Dawn" by Rick Atkinson. Just finished it. Onto book two of his Liberation Trilogy.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
ttt
Minnesota_Fats
Bare Faced Messiah - Book exposing L Ron Hubbard for the fraud he really is. Could be dry at times, but absolutely filled with cover to cover information. Would recommend.
Blanco Ag
AG
The Accidental Superpower by Peter Zeihan. I saw a thread on it on another board and picked it up. Very intriguing and well-articulated points using geography and demographics to predict geopolitical trends.
schmendeler
AG
schmendeler said:

Appetites - Anthony Bourdain
The Long Walk - Richard Bachman (Stephen King) - still reading

Started "The Science of Interstellar" - Kip Thorne
Silky Johnston
American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon - Steven Rinella
TheDoctor
AG
Thank You for Being Late: An Optimist's Guide for Thriving in the Age of Accelerations by Tom Friedman
Kashchei
AG
Minnesota_Fats said:

Bare Faced Messiah - Book exposing L Ron Hubbard for the fraud he really is. Could be dry at times, but absolutely filled with cover to cover information. Would recommend.

Hmm, interesting. I really liked Going Clear as well as Leah Remini's show. I might have to look into this. The guy comes off as pure evil.
mrsbeer05
AG
The Last Mile by David Baldacci- Book #2 of Amos Decker series. B-, the plot is totally ridiculous, but Amos really grew on me this book. I'll probably read others in the series just for Amos.
Minnesota_Fats
We are in the exact same boat. The timing of her show was coincidental to when I started the book, but it made much more sense to see in action what I was reading.. spoiler alert: he was even worse than initially thought of
israeliag
AG
Fixing to start The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis

Anyone else read it?
Kashchei
AG
Did you ever finish the John Corey series? I hope DeMille writes another to redeem himself from the last two clunkers.
mrsbeer05
AG
I did and I totally agree. I need another smart ass detective series now.
mrsbeer05
AG
I am Malala- The writing isn't great, but she's only 16. However, her story was very moving. I strive everyday to fight for education, but she made me feel like a total slacker.
redsquirrelAG
AG
Blanco Ag said:

The Accidental Superpower by Peter Zeihan. I saw a thread on it on another board and picked it up. Very intriguing and well-articulated points using geography and demographics to predict geopolitical trends.

One of the most interesting books I've read in a long time. He has a second book out focusing on the future of Shale in North America. Definitely plan on picking it up. Crazy thing about his book is some of the events unfolding/escalating that he predicted, and then how events like Brexit and electing Trump reinforce the predictions he made. EU dissolving, Russia in Ukraine. Wild times ahead.
Clavell
AG
1) Anne Rice's "Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis" (B-)

2) Terry Goodkind's "Nest". For Goodkind I believe his focus is more on the philosophy he wants to present than on the storytelling. His storytelling suffers because of that. His "Sword of Truth" fantasy series was to present the philosophy of Ayn Rand and did a good job. "Nest" presents his conservative belief of the real evil in the world and takes on everything from violent crime, terrorism, failure in appeasement, criminal hacking, social media, ... May agree with much he says, but weak story telling. (C+)

3) Preston and Child's "Crimson Shore". Uneven addition to Pendergast series. Seems to be there to set up next book. (B)

Next: Neil Gaiman's "Norse Mythology"
jkag89
1) Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke (A)
2) All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (A) - winner of the 2015 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the 2015 Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction
3) Helmet for My Pillow: From Parris Island to the Pacific by Robert Leckie (A)
DG-Ag
AG
Never read "Atlas Shrugged." So, I'm trying to slog through that one.

Also reading "Bellevue: Three Centuries of Medicine and Mayhem at America's Most Storied Hospital" by David Oshinskly. Very interesting read. Incredibly colorful history.
Bunk Moreland
Just finished Shoe Dog by Phil Knight. Fantastic.

Next is Boys in the Boat.
H6RBW
AG
The Flame Bearer by Bernard Cornwell.
Kashchei
AG
Atlas Shrugged is on my to-read list this year.

I seem to be getting off to a really slow start.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
H6RBW said:

The Flame Bearer by Bernard Cornwell.
what's it about ?
OregonAggie
AG
Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse by James Wesley Rawles

Day by Day Armageddon and Beyond Exile by JL Bourne

H6RBW
AG
Quote:

what's it about ?

Its the tenth book in a historical fiction series about a 9th century English warlord, born a Saxon, but kidnapped and raised among Vikings, and his role in the wars between the two while he tries to reclaim his ancestral lands. Really entertaining (obviously, I've stuck with it through 10 books).
fwag04
AG
Just finished the Kingfountain Series by Jeff Wheeler. First book starts off slow, but the other two are really good. A fourth installment is set to be released in June. A
13B
Hap and Leonard series by Joe R. Lansdale.
--Two East Texas Friends solve mysteries and beat up bad guys (rough language, some pretty raunchy content)
Day by Day Armageddon series by J. L. Bourne
--Former Naval Officer and his daily account of the Zombie Apocalypse (written by an active duty Naval Aviator)
The Expanse series by James S. A. Corey.
--SyFy series got me interested, story line of 4 crew mates on a "salvaged" Mars spaceship, trying to stay alive while negotiating the political climate of Mars, Earth and the Outer Planets Alliance not to mention an alien "protomolecule" that everyone wants to weaponize before understanding it. Lots of action and great story line, very engaging read.
Red Rising (Book 1 of Trilogy) by Pierce Brown
--Really good read. Science Fiction/dystopian; better version of Hunger Games
MW03
AG
Finished the Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown and I loved it. If you think an Enders Game, Lord of the Flies, and Hunger Games match up would suit you, definitely take a shot on this one. Very solid from start to finish.
Chipotlemonger
AG
January was a crazy month for me. Was able to finally finish Streets of Laredo this weekend.

For those that have read: Everything after the climax was kind of dull. I did not like how that series and Woodrow Call's story ended. The lead up to the climax and the scenes itself with Pea Eye and Brookshire were great though. All in all the series was a great experience. Looking forward to my next reads!
MaroonStain
AG
About to finish Towers of Midnight - Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

Then onto A Memory of Light - Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

In queue:
Why Coolidge Matters - Charles C. Johnson
Bloodlands - Timothy Snyder
Zombie
Let me preface my ongoing list with the fact that I am mainly into SciFi and Fantasy:

1. We are Legion/We are Bob (First book of the Bobiverse)
- Great start to what I hope becomes a great series. Very very different spin on post apocalyptic scifi. Was very funny, sad, intriguing all at the same time.

2. 14
- Very cool novel. Kinda like The Number 23 meets Friends.

I will keep updating as I go.
SUorangeMAN
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson - just finished

Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson - just started

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.