Taboo

15,344 Views | 138 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wesag
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally after an awesome trailer about a year ago set to premiere Jan 10
Nagler
AG
Got it set up to record. I'm pumped.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Just set it up to record.
Ag by Vows
I just set this up to record. I know nothing about it other than what I've seen in the previews, but it looks promising. Where is everyone setting expectations for this one?
FtBendTxAg
AG
Considering it's hardy, probably too high
Seven Costanza
AG
I don't always agree with him, but Sepinwall says it's terrible.
Ag_07
AG
Apparently it's a lot like the previews in that even a few episodes into it you can't really tell what exactly its about.

I'll watch but I'm hesitant to think it's gonna be anything exceptional. Probably gonna end up along the lines of SOA. Pretty good show to pass the time and watch but not really anything special as far as storylines and acting.
AgGrad99
AG
From the previews...It looks like a guy that inherits his father's trading company, and is challenging the East India company. Apparently he has a very dark and mysterious past, that he uses to challenge the East India company.

The East India company wasn't just a trading company. They had a royal charter from the British monarchy, and at one point were responsible for more than half the trade in the world. They were a giant conglomerate that was owned by wealthy businessmen (mostly from England). Because of the result of a skirmish in the mid 1700s, they won the right to rule India. They had HQs in Calcutta and literally formed their own armies to enforce their rule in many parts of the country.

The subject matter really interests me. It looks to be somewhat of a David vs. Goliath story, only David is pretty twisted.

Hope it's good...

Duncan Idaho
Ag_07 said:

Probably gonna end up along the lines of SOA.

You think it is going to be a comedy?
LHIOB
AG
Seven Costanza said:

I don't always agree with him, but Sepinwall says it's terrible.
He's usually spot on but he wasn't a fan of Westworld and I think MOST of us liked that...
Bruce Almighty
AG
Reviews for this have been average. Lower end fx show.
AgGrad99
AG
Dern. Was hoping it would be good.
Goat Man
AG
Just watched the DVR. Loved it! Anyone else watch it yet?
oragator
I watched it tonight.

I think without Tom Hardy it is average, with him it was really solid. Dude is just an amazing actor and is perfect for this kind of role.
W
AG
so far so good
Ag_07
AG
Actually exceeded my expectations. The pace needs to pick up a bit but for a pilot I thought it was just fine.

Has a nice mix of gritty, creepy, spooky, mysterious and Hardy crushes it. Reminds me a lot of his character in Peaky Blinders.

Also really glad that it's not too hard to understand everyone. With a British setting I always get worried I won't be able to understand anyone and often times I end up watching with captions on. However, I didn't have an issue at all.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Good to hear it's not terrible.
MooreTrucker
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Ag_07 said:

Probably gonna end up along the lines of SOA.

You think it is going to be a comedy?
You think SOA is comedy?
Lateralus Ag
AG
Absolutely loved the 1st episode. There is a scene near the end where Delaney is being strong armed by the EIC and he is brilliant.

Loved the first episode and am pumped about this first season.

Well written, well directed, shot beautifully, cast is on point, and Hardy is brilliant all the way through.

Really exceeded my expectations.
Nagler
AG
Thought it was awesome. Ready for more.

Didn't realize f bombs were allowed on FX. I guess they had one on the OJ show. Doesn't bother me just caught me off guard.
oragator
By the way, didnt know Oona Chaplin who plays the sister, is Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter and Eugene O'Neal's great gran daughter. Some pretty decent bloodlines.
millertyme
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

Absolutely loved the 1st episode. There is a scene near the end where Delaney is being strong armed by the EIC and he is brilliant.

Loved the first episode and am pumped about this first season.

Well written, well directed, shot beautifully, cast is on point, and Hardy is brilliant all the way through.

Really exceeded my expectations.
I thought this show was a mini-series of sorts. Hope I was wrong.
annie88
AG
I watched from DVR last night. I'm intrigued. I love Tom Hardy, he's usually a bad ass. He has the sexiest walk too, dunno why.

It could get very interesting or go the other way, but I'm sticking with it. Very dark in every way. I have a theory on the boy and the half sister, but we'll see.

The production is very good.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Thought it was really good. Had to turn captions on to get all the dialogue between the accents and Hardy's barely audible muttering. Only thing I can see happening with this show that would turn me off is if it gets too caught up in being mysterious and doesn't give the audience enough background in a timely manner.
Lateralus Ag
AG
annie88 said:

I watched from DVR last night. I'm intrigued. I love Tom Hardy, he's usually a bad ass. He has the sexiest walk too, dunno why.

It could get very interesting or go the other way, but I'm sticking with it. Very dark in every way. I have a theory on the boy and the half sister, but we'll see.

The production is very good.

I have the same theory...
Lateralus Ag
AG
Re-watched episode 1.

I like it even more after a second run through.
Sex Panther
AG
Lat on the E-board?
Apache
AG
I enjoyed the show in general with a few little gripes.
The British East India Company wasn't in the Vancouver area at all. Ever.

The "White guy goes into the wilderness and comes back a bada#$" angle is pretty cliche.

Otherwise, I'm very intrigued. Better than 90% of television easily.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Apache said:

I enjoyed the show in general with a few little gripes.
The British East India Company wasn't in the Vancouver area at all. Ever.

The "White guy goes into the wilderness and comes back a bada#$" angle is pretty clich.

Otherwise, I'm very intrigued. Better than 90% of television easily.

Of course they weren't in Vancouver because tom hardy wouldn't sell it to them.
Apache
AG
True... lol. They were in control of India and traded in China but Tom Hardy alone foiled their plans to control the Pacific Northwest.
That area was Hudson Bay Company land in reality.
Also the boundary between Canada and the US would not be settled by the treaties that ended the War of 1812, but rather in the 1850's iirc.
Ag_07
AG
Apache said:

The "White guy goes into the wilderness and comes back a bada#$" angle is pretty clich.

Where did you catch this angle?

I was under the assumption he was in Africa doing some shady, harrowing dealings in the slave trade. Unless I missed something I didn't see where he was out in the wilderness.
Apache
AG
Maybe he always that way, but I doubt it. He was shaped by his time as a soldier in the EIC and in Africa. I think what he did while gone will be further exposed & this idea will be fleshed out. Maybe it's a reach... just offering up my opinion which may differ from some or all.

Africa in the early 19th century was wilderness or at the very least "uncivilized" to Western Eyes when compared to Europe.
BassCowboy33
I thought the episode was pretty amazeballs.
Nagler
AG
Quote:

Africa in the early 19th century was wilderness or at the very least "uncivilized" to Western Eyes when compared to Europe.

Still the case, no?
GinaLinetti
AG
Well since you like it I'll give it a go. Hiya stranger
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.