*** ALIEN: COVENANT *** (Prometheus Sequel / Alien Prequel)

64,008 Views | 494 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The first trailer just hit and it's definitely more Alien than Prometheus, that's for sure.

Cast-wise, Michael Fassbender is basically the only returning character. In addition to playing David the android from the last film, he's also playing a second, identical android named Walter, so there will be kind of a Social Network / Armie Hammer / Winklevoss thing going on, effects-wise. But completely new cast/crew otherwise. Will also be a hard R this go around and feature the actual aliens from the original movies, in addition to a few other creatures. For better or worse, Ridley Scott has returned to direct.

Here's the official synopsis...

Quote:

Quote:
Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant find what they believe to be an uncharted paradise. What the crew discover is a dark, dangerous world, whose sole inhabitant is the "synthetic" David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.

So, basically, David (and maybe Shaw) likely reached the home planet of the Engineers (the giant white guys who created man) as he and Shaw set out to do at the end of Prometheus. Shaw apparently has a cameo, if not a slightly bigger role, but she's definitely not the lead this time, and I'm guessing her scenes are likely flashbacks because Guy Pierce is in this too, even though he died at the end of Prometheus, along with nearly everyone else. Either way, David has potentially sent out some kind of signal from the planet and the Covenant likely pics it up, I'm assuming. The crew of the Covenant consists of Katherine Waterston (the lead), Billy Crudup, Danny McBride, and James Franco, among other lesser known names.

With the PG-13 leash now cut, and no need for the filmmakers to play games and distance themselves from Alien like they did the last go around, I have much more faith in this version. By the looks of the trailer, Scott may very well have his sci-fi/horror mojo back, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Alien: Covenant hits theaters May 19.

Sex Panther
AG
I've lost just about all faith in Scott unfortunately, but I'd love to see him return to form.

And I'm rooting for the guy because I'm a big fan, but man it's going to be hard to take Danny McBride serious in this.
TCTTS
AG
Right there with you on both accounts.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Not high hopes. I hope he proves me wrong but IMO he hasn't made a good film since Matchstick Men or a great film since the original Alien. A lot of "meh" over the last two decades (I'm not a huge Gladiator fan like some).
Fenrir
Why did prometheus have to distance from alien movies?
TCTTS
AG
It was a conscious choice screenwriter Damon Lindeloff made / advocated for. The original draft of Prometheus connected directly to Alien. Instead of being a different planet, it was the same planet that Alien takes place on, the ship that crashes at the end of Prometheus is the same one the crew finds in Alien, there were actual aliens, etc. And when Lindeloff came onboard he did away with all of that so it wouldn't feel like a true prequel, and would instead feel like more of a stand-alone movie, which was, in hindsight, a horrible decision.
Sex Panther
AG
I think it was a good try and the initial premise had a ton of promise... He just Lindelofed it up royally
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I mostly liked Prometheus but it did frustrate ultimately.

Alien is the monster movie to end all monster movies. Aliens was a fine sequel but was much more an action movie than a true monster flick. All the other Alien movies have been pretty bad. Alien Covenant looks promising and I will definitely see it, but I remain to be convinced that anyone, Ridley Scott included, can make a monster movie that can even hold a candle to the original.
HeadGames
AG
Am I the only one who liked Prometheus? I mean, it wasn't in the same league as Alien and aliens, but I enjoyed the explanation of the engineers.

The new one should be good enough.
maca1028
I didn't mind it, I thought the visuals and score was great but it left a lot of plot holes. I'm hoping they clear a few things up, like why did the engineers want to come back and wipe us out. I have a feeling though that we're not gonna get much closure from Prometheus in this movie. That trailer was intense though!
Max Power
AG
AWESOME trailer, so happy. Since the media embargo has been lifted they have been able to talk about the scenes they were shown. The media were shown longer scenes of what happens in the med bay and outside the ship. I'll save those details for those that choose to seek them out. Scott is going for straight up terror.
AlaskanAg99
AG
HeadGames said:

Am I the only one who liked Prometheus? I mean, it wasn't in the same league as Alien and aliens, but I enjoyed the explanation of the engineers.

I loved it. I also don't mind things being left open ended in hopes further movies will clear things up. I don't need to he spoon fed reasons for everything. Use your imagination and fill in the blanks for yourself. Looking forward to this one a lot.
cone
AG
that shower scene is just awful
amercer
AG
Prometheus was a hot mess that gets worse every time I think about it. I enjoyed it in the theater, and it was a pretty movie, but my 3rd grader could come up with a more coherent plot.
Sex Panther
AG
HeadGames said:

There are some redeeming qualities, mainly on the technical and visual side. But like amercer said, it gets worse everytime I watch it. And the plot holes are way too big to ignore. The movie makes no sense.
West Point Aggie
AG
If they can truly tie Prometheus to the original (in some meaningful way) I'll be thrilled.

I'm also in the minority about liking Prometheus (plot incoherence aside).

Of course I have liked every alien movie...so high hopes!
rhutton125
AG
Ridley Scott says he hopes to make this a trilogy, so I'm not that confident that we'll get the lead up to Alien that we wanted. Maybe it'll get us halfway there (again).
Bruce Almighty
AG
HeadGames said:

I enjoyed it. Third best of all the Alien movies.
G Martin 87
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

HeadGames said:

I enjoyed it. Third best of all the Alien movies.
The bar for "third best" isn't particularly high, though.
The Collective
AG
cone said:

that shower scene is just awful

Ugh. My skin was crawling...
White Liberals=The Worst
HeadGames said:

I really enjoyed it and think this one looks awesome. I don't let little things bother me though or try to find ways not to like movies.
VanZandt92
You mean Sir Ridley Scott
VanZandt92
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I mostly liked Prometheus but it did frustrate ultimately.

Alien is the monster movie to end all monster movies. Aliens was a fine sequel but was much more an action movie than a true monster flick. All the other Alien movies have been pretty bad. Alien Covenant looks promising and I will definitely see it, but I remain to be convinced that anyone, Ridley Scott included, can make a monster movie that can even hold a candle to the original.

Aliens didn't hold a candle to Alien.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
VanZandt92 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

HI mostly liked Prometheus but it did frustrate ultimately.

Aliens didn't hold a candle to Alien.
It was a really good movie but you are right, Alien is superior.
VanZandt92
TCTTS said:

It was a conscious choice screenwriter Damon Lindeloff made / advocated for. The original draft of Prometheus connected directly to Alien. Instead of being a different planet, it was the same planet that Alien takes place on, the ship that crashes at the end of Prometheus is the same one the crew finds in Alien, there were actual aliens, etc. And when Lindeloff came onboard he did away with all of that so it wouldn't feel like a true prequel, and would instead feel like more of a stand-alone movie, which was, in hindsight, a horrible decision.

I like the stand alone idea. I wish Star Wars would go stand alone so I wouldn't have to see the Death Star again.
MaroonStain
AG
Prometheus was awesome but I go watch a movie to watch the movie. Don't know if Danny McBride can pull off the smartass, genius astronaut type. I will def see this on the big screen.
double aught
AG
VanZandt92 said:

You mean Sir Ridley Scott
Don't think so. This is America, buddy.

98Ag99Grad
AG
Does a bug fly in someone's ear in that trailer?
captkirk
AG
HeadGames said:

I liked it but didn't love it. It had a lot of potential
Max Power
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Does a bug fly in someone's ear in that trailer?

No, it's a spore.
policywonk98
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

Not high hopes. I hope he proves me wrong but IMO he hasn't made a good film since Matchstick Men or a great film since the original Alien. A lot of "meh" over the last two decades (I'm not a huge Gladiator fan like some).

Would have said the same until The Martian. Really thought that one showed he still has good movies left in him.

This trailer gives me some hope. It looks pretty good.
wesag
AG
I think Ridley Scott is pretty great regardless.
VanZandt92
I saw Prometheus a second time, realizing there were plot holes, yet appreciating the effects and scenery, and I really liked it.

Alien remains unmatched.
West Point Aggie
AG
I really liked Alien 3...darker...sadder once you realize Rippley was hosed from the get go...newt dead...shaved head...the poor dog! Very hopeful this has similar tones...
West Point Aggie
AG
VanZandt92 said:

I saw Prometheus a second time, realizing there were plot holes, yet appreciating the effects and scenery, and I really liked it.

Alien remains unmatched.

...true and in space, still, no one can hear you scream!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.