Recommend a documentary

10,407 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by getme
HarveyBirdman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have friends coming over Sunday night. Didnt want to do just a regular tired old movie so we've decided on watching a documentary but dont have anything specific in mind.

Recommendations of some good ones you've seen???....

TIA
VanZandt92
Broad request. Any genre?

Fog of War with Robert Mc Namara.
VanZandt92
You might also throw this on the history board.
HarveyBirdman
AG
Any genre. Nothing off limits
VanZandt92
I enjoyed the doc on the Elmo guy recently, but I wouldn't call that party fare.

Many docs on YouTube but I bet you don't want that.

You know what I enjoyed recently was the commentary turned on from the director and producer of Fast Times at Ridgemont High. You have to access the deluxe version, but i think I picked mine up at Walmart hard copy DVD. It was totally fascinating. Completely worth it.
VanZandt92
Not precisely documentary, but for future reference:

I got this multimovie pack from WalMart. I turned on the commentary under special features and it was sweet
Disc 3 - Fast Times at Ridgemont High:
  • Reliving Our Fast Times at Ridgemont High
  • Feature Commentary with Director Amy Heckerling and Screenwriter Cameron Crowe
  • Hangouts of Ridgemont High Video Map

• https://www.amazon.com/Spotlight-Collection-Breakfast-Universals-Anniversary/dp/B006TTC50Y/ref=pd_sbs_74_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VSBAZW7757V4R369VMZC

VanZandt92
    Hollabeck
    We watch documentaries with some friends pretty frequently. So far the biggest crowd pleasers have been:

King of Kong

Searching for Sugarman

Exit Through the Giftshop

The Imposter

The Final Member
    American Movie
    gazelle01
    Virunga
    The Interrupters
    20 Feet From Stardom
    The Act of Killing
    The Imposter
    Searching for Sugar Man
    The House I Live In
    Undefeated
    Cartel Land
    Winter on Fire
    How To Survive a Plague

I could go on and on, but that's a good start.
    VanZandt92
    I read the summary of King of Kong and said no thanks. I think I got the idea.
    Hollabeck
    To each his own. I've probably watched it at least ten times and introduced it to dozens of people because it's so hilarious to me.
    VanZandt92
    Hollabeck said:

To each his own. I've probably watched it at least ten times and introduced it to dozens of people because it's so hilarious to me.

I'm sure it is good. I'm just chapping your ass about it the same way I do others who like video games.
    VanZandt92
    Fire in Babylon

watch it immediately

FtBendTxAg
    AG
    If yall will be drinking wine, I dont think there will be a more fitting doc than the new one on netflix called Sour Grapes, about wine fraud. I thought it was very entertaining, as did most people that have seen it. Its getting great reviews.

See thread on food board
    VanZandt92
    gazelle01
    VanZandt92 said:

Hollabeck said:

I'm sure it is good. I'm just chapping your ass about it the same way I do others who like video games.
    For what it's worth, I don't give a rats ass about video games, but thought King of Kong was terrific.
    VanZandt92
    FtBendTxAg said:

If yall will be drinking wine, I dont think there will be a more fitting doc than the new one on netflix called Sour Grapes, about wine fraud. I thought it was very entertaining, as did most people that have seen it. Its getting great reviews.

See thread on food board
    That sounds pretty interesting. dang

"The intricacies of identifying such "fake wines" are absorbingly laid out here, and sometimes comic in themselves, as in instances where a bottle sold at a jaw-dropping premium supposedly contained a vintage that didn't actually exist in the year its label claimed. But it's the personalities that give "Sour Grapes" much of its kick. As fine wine consultant Maureen Downey notes, the overwhelmingly male-dominated field of highest-end collectors (she says at industry events she routinely used to be asked whose girlfriend she was) is fueled by "what Americans call 'F.U. money' a kind of money most human beings never experience." It's a world of swagger, camaraderie and one-upmanship whose participants probably think they have more in common with James Bond than Richie Rich. But few viewers are likely to shed a tear for the gullibility of such wealthy connoisseurs, whose enthusiasms sometimes look like simply an elitist form of hoarding."
    unimboti nkum
    AG
    The Imposter is the most mind-bending film I've ever seen.
    VanZandt92
    unimboti nkum said:

The Imposter is the most mind-bending film I've ever seen.
    "A long, seemingly candid interview with Bourdin serves as the pic's backbone, feeding seamlessly into staged versions of the stories he relays. One moment, the wickedly smug imposter is describing his long-running tactic of passing himself off as an orphan in order to be placed in a children's home, the next, a startlingly similar-looking actor is finishing his sentences within a reenactment scene. The effect is not only slick, but unsettling, drawing attention to the fact that the film, like the incidents it depicts, involves a certain bending of the truth."

Professor Frick
    AG
    I don't necessarily recommend for a party, but I really enjoyed the "Barkley Marathons".
    nai06
    AG
    Old but worth mentioning:

Restrepo
    VanZandt92
    Professor Frick said:

I don't necessarily recommend for a party, but I really enjoyed the "Barkley Marathons".
    oh hell yeah
    GiveEmHellBill
    AG
    Documentary Now!

Episodes:
    - Kanuk Uncovered
    - DRONEZ - The Hunt for El Chingon
    - Juan Like Rice and Chicken
    - Parker Gail's Location is Everything
    - Final Transmission
    - Mr. Runner Up: My Life as an Oscar Bridesmaid
    G Martin 87
    AG
    VanZandt92 said:

Senna is outstanding. (And I'm a Nigel Mansell fan, so you should know that's high praise.)
    G Martin 87
    AG
    In the music genre, my favorites are Beyond the Lighted Stage (Rush) and Miracles Out of Nowhere (Kansas.) Fans of the bands will naturally enjoy these, but Beyond the Lighted Stage is really well done. Unless you actually don't like Rush at all, I think any viewer would find it fascinating.
    oragator
    Some of the ones I would say have already been listed. But I would add:

The smartest guys in the room (Enron's story)
    RikkiTikkaTagem
    AG
    I thought Drop Dead Gorgeous was a fantastic look into the Minnesota pageant circuit.
    HarveyBirdman
    AG
    Ive seen "Restrepo" and "Smartest Guys in the Room". Liked em both.

Good recs....thanks. I think we might go with The Imposter!
    VanZandt92
    G Martin 87 said:

In the music genre, my favorites are Beyond the Lighted Stage (Rush) and Miracles Out of Nowhere (Kansas.) Fans of the bands will naturally enjoy these, but Beyond the Lighted Stage is really well done. Unless you actually don't like Rush at all, I think any viewer would find it fascinating.
    Oh heck yeah I own Beyond the Lighted Stage! I completely forgot about that. Warning, you will have a difficult time coming away not liking these guys, even if you don't have an affinity for falsetto lead vocalists.

maverick2076
    Why We Ride
    Bud Fox
    Fog of war
    30/30's two Escobars

And definitely the Lance Armstrong doc Stop at nothing
    gazelle01
    G Martin 87 said:

VanZandt92 said:

Senna is outstanding. (And I'm a Nigel Mansell fan, so you should know that's high praise.)
    I also don't give a rat's ass about race-car driving, but found this to be an excellent doc.
    gazelle01
    HarveyBirdman said:

Ive seen "Restrepo" and "Smartest Guys in the Room". Liked em both.

Good recs....thanks. I think we might go with The Imposter!
    I think you'll be glad you made this decision. It's a hell of a conversation-starter, which should play good for a crowd. Enjoy
    chico
    AG
    several on here I enjoyed, but I'll add:
    Hoop Dreams (fantastic about the hopes/dreams/nightmares of youth basketball)
    Man on Wire (tightroping between the World Trade Center towers)
    Overnighters (eager preacher helps down-on-their-luck men, only to fall victim himself)
    Last Page
    Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.