Leah Remini - Scientology and the Aftermath

43,432 Views | 266 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Redstone
Serious Lee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
anyone watching this show? Is this subject too sensitive to discuss on here?
TCTTS
AG
No. Scientologists are ****ing insane and that whole operation has long since moved past "cult" status and into "evil" territory. It needs to be eradicated.

And no, I haven't seen the series yet, but want to.

Thats said, pretty sure there was a thread on that HBO doc a while back, so there's at least precedent to discuss here.
Serious Lee
i wholeheartedly agree. ive seen "going clear" (the hbo doc). i just saw an advertisement for this new series (comes on A&E tuesday nights) this week after hearing about the AMA Leah did on reddit earlier this week. I will forever respect the hell out of her.
Clavell
AG
Saw first episode. Mostly stories from former members. They certainly show many signs of a cult, but very corporate. Interested to see if goes beyond just former members into the financials and possible crimes like the leader's wife's disappearance.

It is political in that stated goal is to save the world with ideology off the scale left wing. At least most of victims are far left. With exception of all taxpayers.
Big Cat `93
AG
Pretty fascinating stuff. She's a good person to do this. Not exactly the bashful sort.
MrPlow2010
AG
I watched the first episode and enjoyed learning about how crazy all the stuff is. Those people are definitely crazy.

During her AMA on reddit there were a few accounts that were newly created and constantly tried to devalue and discredit everything she said. They had to be the scientologist goons trying to protect the cult and attack her. Their comments were crazy and heavily down voted.
Human
AG
Tom Cruise

Ag_N_Houston
AG
I watched the first episode. I've always thought Scientology was a bunch of BS, but I never realized what a cult-ish organization it was. I'm definitely enjoying learning more about how they operate.
powerbelly
AG
Quote:

During her AMA on reddit there were a few accounts that were newly created and constantly tried to devalue and discredit everything she said. They had to be the scientologist goons trying to protect the cult and attack her. Their comments were crazy and heavily down voted.
It was interesting to watch for sure.
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

No. Scientologists are ****ing insane and that whole operation has long since moved past "cult" status and into "evil" territory. It needs to be eradicated.

And no, I haven't seen the series yet, but want to.

Thats said, pretty sure there was a thread on that HBO doc a while back, so there's at least precedent to discuss here.
Somebody's mad he wasn't recruited!!!

TCTTS
AG
Ha.

I literally work like five blocks or so from their headquarters. That big blue ugly building/campus. It's so creepy over there. Lots of people walking around in vests. And basically across the street is their production studio - like a mini-movie lot almost. That whole area just gives me the heebie-jeebies.
Joan Wilder
AG
Her book "troublemaker" is a fantastic read and worth it just for the chapters on Tom Cruise's wedding and Leah's subsequent punishments for her "transgressions". Next level insane.

She was a scientologist since she was a kid and her mom joined, and truly believed....she was truly disillusioned in her "faith" which made her start questioning, and then it all unraveled.

I loved the book and documentary Going Clear. It's fascinating to see how intelligent people like her or Paul Haggis literally never googled Scientology as they were trained the only "safe" sources of information were from the church. They feel like such idiots when they leave.

Imagine if you left the Catholic Church and the Pope issued statements condemning you and started websites with everything you'd confessed during confession and used it to humiliate you. Absolutely nuts.
MTAggie
AG
I'll have to track this down. Going Clear, the book and the documentary, were really good. Spooky as crap people.
TresPuertas
AG
Ag_N_Houston said:

I watched the first episode. I've always thought Scientology was a bunch of BS, but I never realized what a cult-ish organization it was. I'm definitely enjoying learning more about how they operate.
if you find this subject as fascinating as I do, I can't recomend the "Going Clear" documentary enough.

Episode 1 of the series is really good, but the HBO doc does an incredible job is exposing the full on insanity. It goes into pretty good detail illustrating the level of intimidation and abuse the "church" conducts.

And I know she will eventually address it, but David Miscavage may be the person who deserves a severe beating the most on this planet. Dude is a Napolean of the highest order and I'd love to have 30 minutes to square off with that POS.
TCTTS
AG
I've never wished death on another human being, but Miscavage needs a bullet to the head. The world would literally be a better place without him.
Sex Panther
AG
TC, I actually always meant to ask you what your experience out there has been with them. And also what does "Hollywood" really think about them?

It was always so fascinating and mind boggling to me how they infiltrated Hollywood. I mean, how do people fall for this crap? And while I think a lot of actors are morons, they do actually have some very intelligent and successful people in their ranks.

Any insight into what the industry really thinks about them? Is it viewed as a problem? Just a nuisance? Or do they have enough influence to be major players?

In regards to the entertainment industry and Scientology, I always envisioned it akin to being at a party where you're about to bad mouth someone, but have to constantly look over your shoulders to see if they're around.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
MrPlow2010 said:

I watched the first episode and enjoyed learning about how crazy all the stuff is. Those people are definitely crazy.

On top of that, there were a TON of comments about how many downvotes her thread was getting. Like WAYYYYY more than it ever should have. Lots of shill downvotes on her.
AliasMan02
AG
Sex Panther said:

TC, I actually always meant to ask you what your experience out there has been with them. And also what does "Hollywood" really think about them?

It was always so fascinating and mind boggling to me how they infiltrated Hollywood. I mean, how do people fall for this crap? And while I think a lot of actors are morons, they do actually have some very intelligent and successful people in their ranks.

Any insight into what the industry really thinks about them? Is it viewed as a problem? Just a nuisance? Or do they have enough influence to be major players?

In regards to the entertainment industry and Scientology, I always envisioned it akin to being at a party where you're about to bad mouth someone, but have to constantly look over your shoulders to see if they're around.

Not TC, obviously, but I think much of the phenomenon is the same reason Congressmen and big businessmen get caught up in Internet Nigerian Prince type scams at an alarming rate. People who already believe they are special/superior loooooove to have that belief validated.
TCTTS
AG
Honestly, I don't think I've ever had a conversation about Scientology in any kind of official industry setting, and it's never really come up at a party or anything like that. It's definitely come up among my friends in the industry, and they all absolutely feel the same way I do about it, but Hollywood overall kind of turns a blind eye to it. I don't think it's on purpose, either, I just don't think anyone knows how to truly combat it. Sex trafficking, anti-LBGTers, genocide, etc. - there's a very clear line in how Hollywood can and does advocate against those kinds of things. But Scientology is much more of a grey area in that there just aren't a ton of tangible, verifiable smoking guns to point at and say to the world, "Look how terrible this is!" There are obviously plenty of disturbing reports of beatings and blackmail and child labor and cutting family ties and harassment, but until there's actual footage of some kid slaving away at The Hole, or there's an actual picture of Miscavage's wife bloodied and bruised wherever they've been hiding her all these years, I don't know that Hollywood is really going to start doing something about it (as much as they can, anyway).

That said, you can definitely feel the tide turning, but Going Clear and this Remini show feel more like first steps than anything else, not the wrecking balls some were hoping they'd be. Honestly, it seemed as if Cruise was close to finally breaking ranks a couple years ago when Katie Holmes took Suri away from him because of Scientology. Cruise apparently hasn't seen his daughter since, is still heartbroken over it, and everyone thought that surely his love for his daughter would be the straw that broke the camel's back, but it wasn't. They either have so much blackmail material on him that he can't, or he's just that brainwashed. Either way, it looks like that ship has sailed, and they're going to have to be brought down another way. However it happens, whenever it happens, it's going to be absolutely glorious, though.

But to answer you're question the best I can, I'm certain the vast majority of Hollywood thinks Scientology is bash*t insane. The church really doesn't have that many members, relatively speaking, especially among the "Hollywood elite." There's Cruise... Travolta... then Jenna Elfman, Danny Masterson, Kristie Alley, and a few other D-listers. The list drops off pretty fast. It's not like they're holding all the keys in Hollywood or anything. Again, I just don't think Hollywood quite knows how to combat it yet. Rest assured, though, if/when I ever gain any real traction in this business, those ****ers won't have sh*t on me, and I will have no problem being as vocal as I need to be in my criticism. Only the weak seek the kind of power they do, and the second a legit groundswell stands against them, that demented cult will fall like a house of cards.
Serious Lee
TresPuertas said:

And I know she will eventually address it, but David Miscavage may be the person who deserves a severe beating the most on this planet. Dude is a Napolean of the highest order and I'd love to have 30 minutes to square off with that POS.
i recently saw one of my best friends for the first time in over 5 years and he asked me about "going clear". He brought up the "going clear" doc cause he hadnt seen it and was asking if he should watch it. I told him yes, and that if i ever saw david miscaviage in person i would be imprisoned for attempted murder. he looked confused at the moment, but called me 2 weeks later and was ready to help me rid the free world of that POS.
Sex Panther
AG
Really interesting. Thanks for the insight.
p_bubel
Quote:

Quote:

Sex trafficking, anti-LBGTers, genocide, etc. - there's a very clear line in how Hollywood can and does advocate against those kinds of things.

Those are easy things. There's no consequence in taking those stands.

What's been interesting in this is that she's taken a very real stand. Actual truth to power. They can and do make your life a living hell.

Something that is all too often professed in Hollywood but pretty rarely actually done.
Quinn
AG
The things in the Going Clear book were so ridiculous that they made me laugh. It was hard to believe some of the things that went on and that people actually complied with these directives. Truly insane. I highly recommend reading the book and seeing all the details.
double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

Lots of people walking around in vests.
For some reason I found this hilarious.
LHIOB
AG
Bill Burr told a story on his podcast a few weeks ago about Scientology. When he first moved to LA to do stand up he decided to take acting classes since that was the next step. He found a flyer for a free class so he went. He said it was bizarre because everyone was so overly positive and fake. When the class was over the teacher asked him if he wanted to return and he said that he was really weirded out out by everything so he told them thanks, but no thanks. A few years later he ran into a guy who was in the class and sure enough, Scientologist.
double aught
AG
So was the class put on by Scientologists?
Joan Wilder
AG
Andy Daly as LRH on Paul F Tompkins' "Dead Authors Podcast" is not only a master class on improv comedy, but also a pretty accurate discussion of how Scientology got started. It's one of the most brilliant and hysterical things I've ever heard.

Remini also points out that while there are some high profile scientologists, there really aren't that many in Hollywood. They want you to think there are though - it's part of their celebrity recruitment strategy. She got badgered into inviting J Lo and Marc Anthony to the Cruise wedding (cruise and Holmes didn't know them well enough to invite them, but wanted them there...?) and then the higher ups worked to separate them at the wedding functions and place high level Scientologists around J Lo to recruit her. Bizarre.

I think Cruise is so far in it, with so many perks and fawning minions about him, he won't get out. His kids with Kidman are disconnected from their mom (Remini claims they call her an SP) and he seems to have disconnected with Suri. Crazy. Travolta looks trapped and sad though. I think there's something up with his son's death and Scientology practice.

The other thing about it is that they believe "if it works for you, it's true." So if you take a communications class and you feel it helped you in an audition, then it's true. So it's sort of this weird feedback loop.

We went out to LA a couple months ago and we drove by the mother ship - so bizarre with all the sea org people milling outside chain smoking with vacant eyes.
Quinn
AG
double aught said:

TCTTS said:

Lots of people walking around in vests.
For some reason I found this hilarious.
Sounds like Dallas in the winter.
LHIOB
AG
Yes, they used it as way to recruit young people new to Hollywood.

Here is the story

Its NSFW, as you can imagine being Bill Burr

I misremembered when he ran into someone but its still a good story
Joan Wilder
AG
Oh No Ross and Carrie also did a multi part podcast on Scientology that was crazy. They went to a few classes and described the insane time commitments and ways they tried to suck you in. They did an auditing session that sounded ENDLESS...I can't imagine people going through this for years. They apparently got invited to some big function before they were "found out" and got booted.
Old Jock 1997
AG
Interesting thread.

So why does Cruise continue to be one of Hollywood's most prominent leading men? Seems like others have been black-balled/black-listed for less?
AliasMan02
AG
Old Jock 1997 said:

Interesting thread.

So why does Cruise continue to be one of Hollywood's most prominent leading men? Seems like others have been black-balled/black-listed for less?

He produces a ton of his own stuff. Like for Reacher, I believe he owns the film rights to the character and he maybe even bankrolled a big chunk of it.
LHIOB
AG
His movies make a ****load of money
Big Cat `93
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Old Jock 1997 said:

Interesting thread.

He produces a ton of his own stuff. Like for Reacher, I believe he owns the film rights to the character and he maybe even bankrolled a big chunk of it.
That must be why Lee Child is okay with a dwarf playing a guy he writes as a 6'5", 250-pound former Army cop.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
Is Going Clear a book or documentary? It's not on Netflix.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.