***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

217,905 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bird Poo
Aggie_3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TCTTS
AG
Once more, it's incredibly rare for any movie nowadays to release a trailer (or even stills) this far out - more than 11 months - from the film's release (on December 18th). Again, Warner Bros. released the first trailer Villeneuve's Blade Runner 2049 10 months before that film's release. But that was three years ago and WB has, for the most part, since refrained from releasing trailers that far in advance (save for Nolan films). But who knows, maybe they do so again with Dune, considering the pedigree. All that said, these are my best guesses as to when the marketing will officially kick off with the first trailer...

2.7.20 with BIRDS OF PREY
Another Warner Bros. film and WB's only big release until Wonder Woman 1984 in June. This will mark just a week over 10 months from the film's release, and it's certainly a possibility, but my gut says no.

3.20.20 with A QUIET PLACE PART II
Not likely, but this will probably be the biggest March release and I couldn't leave March off the list of possibilities.

4.8.20 with NO TIME TO DIE
The timing and the pairing of this would feel right to me; a little over eight months out from the film's release, the audiences feel similar enough, and it's also far enough out to then follow with a full/final trailer in October or so.

5.2.20 with BLACK WIDOW
If I absolutely had to money down, it'd put it on this. The first weekend of May has no doubt become tradition for tons of big-name trailers to debut, and this one would fit right along with all the others.

6.4.20 with WONDER WOMAN 1984
Previously, I wouldn't have dreamed of WB waiting this long, but considering they waited 'til December to debut the first WW84 trailer - just six months before the film's release - maybe they do the same here.

At this point, it's just hard to know what WB's marketing strategy is going to be. Do they treat this like a Nolan release and feel the need to raise awareness early? Or do they treat it like they're treating WW84 and wait until six months out to debut anything? Again, my best guess is that they split difference and go with either a Bond or Black Widow debut, with my money on Black Widow.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Good to know, good info, thanks. Will there be anything else though besides the trailer between now and when the trailer is released?
TCTTS
AG
Usually the first official images for big movies like this are released in the week leading up to the first trailer, and then the first poster often hits the day before the first trailer. In other words, more often than not, it all hits around the same time.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I just want to see some visuals; this is going to be very exciting as it unfolds... biggest CGI opportunities are the Sandworms followed by the Guild Navigators
swc93
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I just hope they leave the politics out of this movie. The last thing I want to see is another Hollywood attempt to interject politics, conservation or evil white guys exploiting a local aboriginal populous over a thinly veiled analog for oil, who are ultimately stopped by a great white hope from outside the tribe.

If they stick to the source material, this will be great.
Hollywood is sooo going to make Duncan Idaho a homosexual character.
Duncan Idaho
I really hope this is successful so that we can get a Benioff and Wies HBO production of the Kevin Andersen and Brian Herbert books.
YouBet
AG
swc93 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

I just hope they leave the politics out of this movie. The last thing I want to see is another Hollywood attempt to interject politics, conservation or evil white guys exploiting a local aboriginal populous over a thinly veiled analog for oil, who are ultimately stopped by a great white hope from outside the tribe.

If they stick to the source material, this will be great.
Hollywood is sooo going to make Duncan Idaho a homosexual character.

The Gay Golem. Has a ring to it!
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Isn't the Baron a homosexual? Didn't the Bene Gesserit have to trick him to produce an heir? is there another character that already is? I can't remember.
schmendeler
AG
I know the book is quite old but that info is fairly spoilerish if the movie is your first exposure to this universe.
YouBet
AG
Sarduakar said:

Isn't the Baron a homosexual? Didn't the Bene Gesserit have to trick him to produce an heir? is there another character that already is? I can't remember.

I think he's closer to pedophile than gay,
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Ok I'm new to the series and only have the Kyle MacLacklan version (I know) to fall back on, but how do you fit 37,000 years of history in? Will they get to Duke Leto the second? That'll look weird on screen.
Sex Panther
AG
AGSPORTSFAN07 said:

but how do you fit 37,000 years of history in?

Duncan Idaho
Isnt the part you are concerned about like 2 books (3-6 movies) out from the current project?
TCTTS
AG
AliasMan02
AG
Three parts? I thought it was two.
TCTTS
AG
The graphic novel is three parts. The movie is two.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
schmendeler said:

I know the book is quite old but that info is fairly spoilerish if the movie is your first exposure to this universe.
I didn't tell you who the heir was did I
Duncan Idaho
Well ****....I didnt realize his kid was involved on the creative side.
TCTTS
AG
Is that good or bad?
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Is that good or bad?
Depends what they mean by involved. If it means he is actually doing the writing, not good
TCTTS
AG
To be clear, whatever his involvement, we're only talking about the graphic novel adaptation. Which, personally, I could not care less about.
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

Is that good or bad?

Not good..he completely missed the point on some of the themes and basically midechlorianed the whole universe.

Frank perfectly balanced what he explained and what he didnt. His kid explained everything...and most fairly poorly

TCTTS
AG
Gotcha. Yeah, that doesn't sound good.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

To be clear, whatever his involvement, we're only talking about the graphic novel adaptation. Which, personally, I could not care less about.

Gotcha, I don't really care about that either.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
Again, I've never read the book, but if the official title logo gets me this excited, I can't imagine what the trailer is going to do. Using the same font/shape for each letter is so brilliant. Just... wow.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
Likely when the first trailer will debut, at CinemaCon in Vegas on March 31. Now, whether we get it online then is another question...

TCTTS
AG
Current speculation seems to be that the trailer will debut at CinemaCon on Tuesday, March 31, then in theaters with No Time to Die a week later on Wednesday, April 8, and online at some point between those two dates. Honestly, this makes a ton of sense and I'd be relatively surprised if it doesn't go down that way.
bearamedic99
AG
You really should read the book.

Will you read it after the movie?
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, after probably. With Villeneuve - same as with Nolan - his movies have become such an "event" that I want to go in knowing as little as possible.
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

Using the same font/shape for each letter is so brilliant. Just... wow.
How is it that J.J. Abrams isn't the one to invent the lens flare font?
Duncan Idaho
I bet he is kicking himself in his Mystery box right now
jr15aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.