***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

217,932 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bird Poo
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
this cast gets better and better.
Al Bula
AG
But will he remember the Tooth! The Tooth!

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/d2f3acf6-2db0-4e00-ad79-d74d7732ce4d

schmendeler
AG
If Ziggy reminds him
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

Good to see that guy from New Girl is still getting work
SpreadsheetAg
AG
That's pretty good, but Duke Leto was pretty tall, are they going to give him platforms?!

Quote:

Leto Atreides I was a tall man with olive skin and black hair. He had a narrow face full of angles and planes, with a high-bridged nose that gave him the look of a hawk, and woodsmoke in his gray eyes.
I always thought he'd look like an older Tom Hiddleston (Loki from Thor)
Duncan Idaho
SpreadsheetAg said:

That's pretty good, but Duke Leto was pretty tall, are they going to give him platforms?!

Quote:

Leto Atreides I was a tall man with olive skin and black hair. He had a narrow face full of angles and planes, with a high-bridged nose that gave him the look of a hawk, and woodsmoke in his gray eyes.

Good call on Loki.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Quote:

Good call on Loki.
Username checks out; carry on
Duncan Idaho
What are you talking about? What does my love of eating potatoes while I was in the Corps have to do with your choice of actors?
Quad Dog
AG
Oscar Isaac is great but I picture someone a little older to be the Duke. I think he'd have made a great Duncan though.
HalifaxAg
AG
Ian McShane would make a good Leto

and he could call the Baron a phallic pressure imbalancer
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
HalifaxAg said:

Ian McShane would make a good Leto

and he could call the Baron a phallic pressure imbalancer

So I came to your board and started a thread on a page with an active thread already. So I'm the *******.

Apologies.
HalifaxAg
AG
It's all good...any interest in a new Dune is fine by everyone!
AliasMan02
AG
Isaac is a great casting, even if he is a bit young and short for the role as written. I think he'll play the even-handed and diplomatic Duke extremely well. Need to pair him with a great casting for Lady Jessica, simply because I think Isaac can play up an important part of the character we don't often see... his dual natures in his regal, military command as Duke, but his warmness and sensitivity toward Jessica and Paul.

Jessica needs to be cast by someone who can likewise play up a lot of different roles, from concerned mother to absolute terrifying and merciless badass.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
HalifaxAg said:

It's all good...any interest in a new Dune is fine by everyone!

I've read the novel maybe 5 times in my life and watched the 1985 film enough to know the lines by heart.

And this franchise could be my new Star Wars b/c I don't care for any contemporary politics in my scifi.
AliasMan02
AG
In a genre that is almost always highly political, Dune is maybe the MOST political novel of all time.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
No doubt. That's why I said contemporary politics. Though I should have said no contemporary American politics.

But yeah, the political intrigue is what makes the Dune franchise so fascinating to adults.

The factions of the Spice Guild, the Benegeserit, the CHOAM Company, the Emperor, the Navigators, the houses, the Freman paying the guild to keep their presence secret...

That's it; I'm reading the book again.

Atreides Ornithopter
AG
AliasMan02 said:

In a genre that is almost always highly political, Dune is maybe the MOST political novel of all time.

It has global climate change, mass extinction, anti-technology, eugenics, slaves and a class system, overbearing religion, blood sports, .....
TCTTS
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Isaac is a great casting, even if he is a bit young and short for the role as written. I think he'll play the even-handed and diplomatic Duke extremely well. Need to pair him with a great casting for Lady Jessica, simply because I think Isaac can play up an important part of the character we don't often see... his dual natures in his regal, military command as Duke, but his warmness and sensitivity toward Jessica and Paul.

Jessica needs to be cast by someone who can likewise play up a lot of different roles, from concerned mother to absolute terrifying and merciless badass.

She's been cast for months... Rebecca Ferguson. Also, check and check.
TCTTS
AG
For the record, Ferguson is 35, Isaac is 39, and Chalamet is 23. Again, I've never read the book, or seen the movie, but yeah, I agree that it does seem a little weird that Chalamet's character's parents aren't being played by slightly older actors. That said...

A) Ferguson already comes across as a little older/more mature than 35, Isaac can play order as well, and conversely, Chalamet was still playing high school characters as of last year.

B) People could technically age differently in this world / be younger, longer.

C) It's hard to argue when the cast is this good.
TCTTS
AG
The cast so far, in order of casting announcements, from earliest to latest...

PaulSimonsGhost
AG
TCTTS said:

The cast so far, in order of casting announcements, from earliest to latest...

I ****ing love Dave Bautista and have actively followed his career since the last Riddick film.

When I read James S.A. Corey's series (The Expanse) he was absolutely the only one who could play the part of Amos. I thoroughly enjoyed casting him for the role as I played out the book in my head.

This is a solid cast with potential for a great future IMO.

Gurney, Duncan and Feyd Rautha will have to be no slouches. Those parts are crucial to the franchise.
schmendeler
AG
Maybe James Macavoy can take Patrick Stewart's prior role again?
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
TCTTS said:

For the record, Ferguson is 35, Isaac is 39, and Chalamet is 23. Again, I've never read the book, or seen the movie, but yeah, I agree that it does seem a little weird that Chalamet's character's parents aren't being played by slightly older actors. That said...

A) Ferguson already comes across as a little older/more mature than 35, Isaac can play order as well, and conversely, Chalamet was still playing high school characters as of last year.

B) People could technically age differently in this world / be younger, longer.

C) It's hard to argue when the cast is this good.

Lady Jessica's character has a long future in the novels as does Duncan Idaho and Gurney Halleck - much longer than Paul. Leto is referred to often. These actors will need to age well because Spice makes you age well.

The best case scenario is that this becomes a a home run film that spurs on a solid 3, or possibly 4, more films and becomes a prosperous franchise. Dune lovers will need to come out to the box office in force if we want that to happen.

Scifi fans are (IMO) more cerebral than the average movie going public. We don't tolerate lazy writing or slap dash plot explanations (sorry Rian Johnson). So a scifi film needs money and good writers.

Those don't grow on trees so scfi is always either hit (Star Wars) or miss (Aliens 3). Dear Baby Geezus make Dune a hit.
schmendeler
AG
I have faith in Denis Villeneuve after arrival and blade runner.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
schmendeler said:

I have faith in Denis Villeneuve after arrival and blade runner.

Blade Runner 2049 was an exceptionally well written and directed film. It is one of the most complete Scifi films ever made. I have no worries about the caliber of project Dune will be with Villeneuve my friend.

Dennis Villeneuve will craft a gem. He just will.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Should her deal close, Zendaya would play Chani, the girl of Paul's dreams who takes on a leading role as his proper love interest in the next Dune film should this one merit a sequel.
schmendeler
AG
Tell me about the waters of your home world, Usul.
AliasMan02
AG
Would be another good casting.

Man, I worry about sequels, though. The writing team would essentially have to completely diverge from the books if it makes it past 2 films.
TCTTS
AG
From my understanding, the plan has always been to do just two movies, as long as the first one garners enough interest/$$$.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
The girl who played her in the TV Miniseries from 2000 had a nice set...

Barbora Kodetova - you can probably find her indecent photos from Dune if you want a pick me up
Duncan Idaho
Wasn't there something about a series? Or was that a different deal?
AliasMan02
AG
So, here is an incredibly interesting social question:

Does this movie use the word "jihad?" It's a very important narrative and thematic point and MUST be discussed. There's no way to go over its uses in two major facets, one historical (why there are no intelligent computers) and one the major motivation for Paul.
TCTTS
AG
Pretty sure that was a different deal. Here's a tweet from Brian Herbert, son of Frank Herbert, this past summer...

And here's one from just yesterday...

My guess is that they have two movies planned, if the first one does well enough, but then all kinds of comics/extended universe stuff being planned as well, kind of like those Blade Runner 2049 shorts we got before that movie's release.
BenFiasco14
AG
No way in hell are they going there. If anything, they'll call it "holy war" or something.

And we all know why...

*ducks*
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Duncan Idaho
AliasMan02 said:

So, here is an incredibly interesting social question:

Does this movie use the word "jihad?" It's a very important narrative and thematic point and MUST be discussed. There's no way to go over its uses in two major facets, one historical (why there are no intelligent computers) and one the major motivation for Paul.

It will be interesting to see how the crazies on both sides react to all of the political and religious aspects of the dune universe.
Jews, Muslims, Catholics, atheist.

The Frank Herbert universe was absolutely perfect....just enough explained, just enough mystery, everything that evolved out of today's world ends up at a place that makes sense.

Sadly his kid ****ed all of that up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.