***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

217,936 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bird Poo
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After The Arrival and especially Blade Runner 2049, I think this Dennis V... is the perfect choice for Dune. The original movie is far from perfect, but I nevertheless have always enjoyed it. I suppose it's the story that I enjoy most. I read the book back in 1984 but for some reason have never read it a second time. I'm going to have to rectify that.
Quad Dog
AG
I love Dune. I've read the books maybe 3 or 4 times. Every computer I've owned for a long time has been the name of a different Mentat. I could go on...

But I don't know how you cast this movie in 2018 with all the public outcry of whitewashing in movies these days. Paul is easy to cast. Stilgar and Chani will be much harder.
It's basically the story of a white kid coming to save a bunch of brown people in the dessert who then want to start a jihad. That word just means something different now than it did in the 60s when the books were written. Avatar was able to make people cheer for aliens trying to overthrow white capitalists, can Dune do the same for the Fremen? I don't see how with the way politics are today.

It's a lose-lose situation. You either whitewash the Fremen characters and face that controversy, or cast Arabic people trying to overthrow a white emperor and face controversy there.

I love these books, but I don't want to have to hear about all of these topics constantly to get another movie.
israeliag
AG
You cast the right people and realize that it's not a race overthrowing another race, but an oppressed people and a wronged royal house overthrowing an oppressive emperor and an evil royal house.

Also, and this isn't really to your point, the sequel does go into how it all ends up tragically and the jihad gets out of control and is the cause of more murder and pogroms than in any previous point in history (which is why we won't see it on film).

Plus Duncan Idaho is black, so that helps.
Quad Dog
AG
israeliag said:

You cast the right people and realize that it's not a race overthrowing another race, but an oppressed people and a wronged royal house overthrowing an oppressive emperor and an evil royal house.

Also, and this isn't really to your point, the sequel does go into how it all ends up tragically and the jihad gets out of control and is the cause of more murder and pogroms than in any previous point in history (which is why we won't see it on film).

Plus Duncan Idaho is black, so that helps.
I agree, but I don't expect that kind of subtlety from the same people who made Kelly Marie Tran quit Instagram or complained about Idris Elba being Heimdall. There are many other examples.
israeliag
AG
Yeah, will suck for those having to hear that stuff, but I guess we're lucky in that we can tune them out. But we did lose the Star Wars thread.
Duncan Idaho
I had no idea people got upset about Idris.

But you make me wonder how well Laurence of Arabia would go over today.

israeliag
AG
Well we have three more sequels to Lawrence of Arabia coming out in a few years. I mean sequels to Dances with Wolves... no wait - Avatar.
TCTTS
AG
FOUR more sequels, unfortunately...
hurleyag
AG
Don't you mean Ferngully, no wait, I mean Pocahontas.
israeliag
AG
An Ag in CO
AG
Quote:

I have just received Draft #4 of the DUNE screenplay from Legendary Pictures. This is for the first movie, covering approximately half of the novel DUNE. I'm very excited and pleased about this, and I'm beginning to burn the midnight oil.
Author and Dune film consultant Brian Herbert announced on Twitter that he's looking over the latest draft of Legendary's Dune script, and confirmed that the first film will only tackle half of the first book in the six-part original Dune saga. This most likely means the first half, but I'm sure the film could jump around a bit as needed for the plot and characters.
Quad Dog
AG
So end the first movie after Leto dies, and Paul and Jessica escape to the desert? Or push it a little farther to end on a happier note when Paul becomes part of the Fremen?
AliasMan02
AG
I'm guessing later than that. When Paul summons the Maker. There is a time jump there in the book that a series could fill in nicely, even if they have to rearrange a couple of things.

I could see them even inventing a battle that is not in the book to be the climax of the film, maybe a first major victory against the Beast Rabban.
israeliag
AG
If they're filming them all at once, a-la LotR, you have to end on a bit of a sour note, as you have the luxury of having the sequel come out just 1 year later, somewhere around the shuttle that takes Paul and Jessica off to their deaths, either as they fly off or right as they find themselves lost. It's just such a smooth transition in tone and objective.
AliasMan02
AG
Is it still a film and then series? Or is it now multiple films?
TCTTS
AG
Two films.
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

Two films.

Ah, that changes my perspective a bit. The first film could afford to be a cliffhanger and basically end just where Book II ends.

Also, is there a more perfect project than this to use the BttF2/3 post-credits preview of the sequel? Finish Dune 1 on a cliffhanger note, run the main credits with a countdown clock in the corner, then give a selection of shots from Dune 2 to pump everything back up. Maybe even make it a Star Wars-esque behind the scenes featurette like they show at Celebration.

Countdown ends. Black screen, with a barely perceptible but growing sound of a thumper in the darkness, then like 3 minutes of action shots from the sequel set to what I assume will be a kick-ass theme. Last shot is Paul standing his ground before mighty Shai-Halud.
AliasMan02
AG
Also, I guess I'm reading Dune this weekend.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
She's set to play "Lady Jessica, aka, Paul Atreides' mother." I've never seen the movie or read the book, so is this good casting?

Trick question.

Rebecca Furguson is ALWAYS good casting. Especially in a Denis Villeneuve sci-fi space epic.

I absolutely cannot wait for this movie.
Quad Dog
AG
This Dune fan is excited for her to be Lady Jessica. She's got the acting chops, and Mission Impossible has proven she has the physical capabilities down to be a Revered Mother.

In the book she's described with an oval face and green eyes.

EDIT: Maybe it would make sense to have someone a little older. She's only 12 years older than Chalamet in real life, but The Spice does give you long life so that could explain her youthful appearance.
schmendeler
AG
TCTTS said:

She's set to play "Lady Jessica, aka, Paul Atreides' mother." I've never seen the movie or read the book, so is this good casting?

Trick question.

Rebecca Furguson is ALWAYS good casting. Especially in a Denis Villeneuve sci-fi space epic.

I absolutely cannot wait for this movie.
she fits my mental image. her character is the result of centuries of selective breeding to bring about a prophesied messiah type character. she is immensely strong of will and resilient and resourceful.
israeliag
AG
I would describe Lady Jessica as stoic, deliberate, and in control of her emotions, but yet loving to her Duke and son. So yes Ferguson is perfect for that.

Most interested in who they cast for Fayd and Duncan. Those two roles, IMO, have the possibility of being scene stealers in opposite ways (dark and chaotic vs. charming and brave). The more I think about it though, I think all the Harkonens and all the minor Atreides characters could bring a lot of life to this film if cast right.

I just completed the audio book last month in anticipation, and am really looking forward to it. As great as the politicking and world building is in the novel, I think this is the single best candidate for a movie adaptation there is (barring it's more than one film, as it will be). The characters are a bit skeletal, IMO, but primed for great interpretation on screen. And who ever is selected for art, set, and costume design will have landed the job of a lifetime.
TCTTS
AG
Love reading these takes. I thought about reading the book, but I think I want to go into this one cold. A space epic from Villeneuve is a rare thing, especially when he says his aim is to do "Star Wars for adults," and I don't want to spoil that in the least. Might be my most anticipated for 2020 at this point. Will likely read the book after, though.
lurker76
When you do finally get the opportunity to read it, after you see the movie, I think you will enjoy it quite a bit. I first read it in my late teens, and have probably read it a dozen times. The sequels taper off in quality, but still provide entertainment.
YouBet
AG
I thought I would have commented on this before now but I guess I didn't. One of the biggest plot points missing from the original movie was Duncan Idaho as a golem.

Really curious if this will make the two film series.
israeliag
AG
YouBet said:

I thought I would have commented on this before now but I guess I didn't. One of the biggest plot points missing from the original movie was Duncan Idaho as a golem.

That wasn't in the first book though.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Quote:

Most interested in who they cast for Fayd and Duncan.
Will Sting's cod piece still be utilized?

Have they cast Gurney? Patrick Stewart could play that part.
schmendeler
AG
re-reading dune just got moved up my priority list now.
Al Bula
AG
YouBet said:

Do you mean "golem" or ghola?
israeliag
AG
TCTTS said:

Love reading these takes. I thought about reading the book, but I think I want to go into this one cold.
I agree: you should go in cold. Honestly though, don't expect a plot you haven't seen before (see all previous references to Moses, Lawrence of Arabia, Dances with Wolves, white savior trope). The book adds more Game of Thrones layers to that archetype which I don't expect to see fleshed out on film much, except maybe to make the villain(s) more interesting.

I know you can't avoid trailers, but man - if you could on this one, you'd be sucked into an amazing world.
YouBet
AG
israeliag said:

YouBet said:

That wasn't in the first book though.

You sure? Unless I have just forgotten I didn't think that I had read beyond the first book. Been 30 years since I've read it though.
YouBet
AG
RPM said:

YouBet said:

Do you mean "golem" or ghola?

Probably. It's been decades since I read it.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
The item you are discussing is not in the first book. It happens early in the 2nd. It isn't in the David Lynch movie either. But it does happened in the Sci-Fi mini series from the 2000s but that has things from the first 3 books and is why you may be thinking of it.
YouBet
AG
Brennus said:

The item you are discussing is not in the first book. It happens early in the 2nd. It isn't in the David Lynch movie either. But it does happened in the Sci-Fi mini series from the 2000s but that has things from the first 3 books and is why you may be thinking of it.

Interesting. Clearly I read the second book then because I've never seen the syfy series and know it wasn't in the Lynch version.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.