***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

217,990 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bird Poo
captkirk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sex Panther said:

AliasMan02 said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Off-topic yet on-topic:

After seeing the documentary, I would love to see a film version of Jodorosky's Dune. It sounded utterly bizarre yet fascinating.

I get that his vision was inspiring to a lot of people, but after watching that doc, I can say 100 percent that movie would have sucked.

After watching several of his movies, I can confirm 100 percent that it would have indeed sucked.
He's a weirdo and his movies are incoherent
israeliag
AG
Writer announced for Dune: Eric Roth

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dune-movie-eric-roth-pen-screenplay-denis-villeneuve-991393
Duncan Idaho
Based on hs history with book adapatiins, this could go either way.
israeliag
AG
My thoughts, too. We'll see how it goes with Villenvue guiding, but there probably will be a lot of eyes on this throughout the process given the budget it would require.
israeliag
AG
With Blade Runner out now, how perfect is Villeneuve for Dune???

This now has all the hallmarks of a slam-dunk. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out now that Villeneuve is wrapped with Blade Runner and can focus on Dune.
Al Bula
AG
Haven't seen new blade runner yet but the wife watched the original with me the other day because she wants to see Ryan gosling in the newest one. If it is worth the hype, maybe a new Dune won't be as terrible as I once thought.
Cromagnum
AG
RPM said:

Haven't seen new blade runner yet but the wife watched the original with me the other day because she wants to see Ryan gosling in the newest one. If it is worth the hype, maybe a new Dune won't be as terrible as I once thought.

It would be quite a feat to make a reboot worse than the original movie.
Chipotlemonger
AG

Bump to add this. Must be pretty serious undertaking if he's turning down directing a Bond movie for it!

This story was the first I had seen in a while on it... with the success of Blade Runner 2049 I think the hype train for Dune is building.

Anyone know what the schedule looks like for Dune?
Cromagnum
AG
The pressing question though is whether Sting's codpiece will be in this new adaptation.
israeliag
AG
Quote:

"Most of the main ideas of Star Wars are coming from Dune so it's going to be a challenge to [tackle] this," the French-Canadian director says. "The ambition is to do the Star Wars movie I never saw. In a way, it's Star Wars for adults. We'll see."

http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/dune-adaptation-will-be-star-wars-for-adults-says-director
Max Power
AG
Quote:

This all begs the question: will Villeneuve be working on more than one movie?
"I could be involved with one or two movies," he reveals. But this comes with a warning that there's no guarantee the project will make it all the way through to theatrical release.
"If it happens," he adds, cautiously. "That's the thing. Today you're asking me this question about a project that doesn't exist yet. I'm used to talking about projects when they're shot, finished, I'm in the editing room, I'm about to release the movie. Then you talk about something real. Right now, I might in three weeks or two months learn that nobody agrees on a screenplay, it will be with someone else. It can happen. And when the movie will be made? It's all theory right now."

This statement is concerning. You can tell it's important that this project gets done but Dune is a massive undertaking for a film. I'm sure lots of hands in the cookie jar because this film will be crazy expensive. If anyone is interested I recommend watching the documentary Jodorowsky's Dune. To be done the way Jodorowsky wanted it would have been the most massive and expensive movie ever made. I really want Villeneuve to direct it, but a project this big can get shelved if everyone isn't on the same page.
SeattleAgJr
israeliag said:

Quote:

"Most of the main ideas of Star Wars are coming from Dune so it's going to be a challenge to [tackle] this," the French-Canadian director says. "The ambition is to do the Star Wars movie I never saw.

So in other words, this will be the Proper version of The Last Jedi, and not the garbage we got?
SeattleAgJr
Cromagnum said:

The pressing question though is whether Sting's codpiece will be in this new adaptation.
if not, we riot.
aunuwyn08
AG
I thought the unabridged audiobook for Dune was pretty amazing. It felt like a dynamic and engaging movie for me.
schmendeler
AG
Villeneuve wants at least two movies.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/03/denis-villeneuve-planning-two-dune-films-1201937538/
israeliag
AG
Two makes sense Three doesn't make sense unless they use Dune Messiah as the third but that's too tragic of a story for a blockbuster.

The Children of Dune story is an ok story but would need some adapting to fit for the screen.
Chipotlemonger
AG
It's been so long since I read the series that I really can't remember all of the plot lines.

What's the best way to refresh oneself on this story? Is Wikipedia the best? It's a little high level, and maybe something a tad more in depth would be what I want.
PatAg
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

It's been so long since I read the series that I really can't remember all of the plot lines.

What's the best way to refresh oneself on this story? Is Wikipedia the best? It's a little high level, and maybe something a tad more in depth would be what I want.
just read Dune again, you wont regret it.
YouBet
AG
PatAg said:

Chipotlemonger said:

just read Dune again, you wont regret it.
Agreed. I may read it again ahead of these movies.

On a side note, I never actually read any of the sequels, but I read all of the prequels. That's probably unusual.
Malachi Constant
AG
I wonder if he will use any of Jodorowsky's ideas or storyboards in this.
Cromagnum
AG
oragator
It's funny, I was watching dune tonight, and the first thing that came to mind is how this is one of the few movies that would truly benefit from a remake. What they could do now technically could be stunning, finally do the story justice.
So I looked it up to see if there was one planned, and saw this info. Was going to post it but found this thread.
israeliag
AG
Here's hoping they keep the electric guitar influence from the original score.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Will do!
Max Power
AG
Is Toto still alive? They scored the first one.
Duncan Idaho
Villeneuve should definitely hold the line on using Toto
TCTTS
AG
Wow. This is not only officially happening, but happening soon...

TCTTS
AG
An early 2019 start likely indicates a summer 2020 release. That means Dune, potentially an Obi-Wan movie, and Avatar 2 are all hitting in 2020. Oh, and whatever Christopher Nolan's next movie is will likely be 2020 as well. Talk about an insane year for massive, blockbuster sci-fi...
TCTTS
AG
And who would have thought that little punk kid from Homeland would end up being what is increasingly looking like this generation's DiCaprio?
israeliag
AG
And he is essentially the obvious choice for Paul Atreides.

israeliag
AG
Now to just follow up with the only more obvious casting: Sean Bean as Leto Atreides.
PatAg
AG
Is he going to believable in the action scenes?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This kid's agent must be ridiculous.

Well it helps that he is a damn good actor.
Duncan Idaho
israeliag said:

Now to just follow up with the only more obvious casting: Sean Bean as Leto Atreides.

Spoiler alert
NE PA Ag
Duncan Idaho said:

israeliag said:

Spoiler alert
So, who should play you?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.