***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

217,922 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bird Poo
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm watching Dune right now for the first time

This movie is amazingly terrible and I have no clue what is going on
Al Bula
AG
Sex Panther
AG
I forgot to mention that Dune did have the greatest image in film history though:

Duncan Idaho
Sex Panther said:

Which version? The theatrical release? The extended cut? Or the 4 hour version?

Keep in mind that at the orginal theater release audience members were given a glossary/background one pager that they were supposed to read before the movie.
Sex Panther
AG
Pretty sure it was just the original version. Definitely felt like it had to be cut way down to fit it into two hours.

There were some cool Lynchian parts, and I can see why it's got cult status. I need to read the book.
Al Bula
AG
Sex Panther said:

I forgot to mention that Dune did have the greatest image in film history though:

Patrick Stewart fighting off Imperial Sardaukar whilst holding a pug is indeed strong.
israeliag
AG
Anyone listened to the audio book(s)?
YouBet
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Sex Panther said:

Which version? The theatrical release? The extended cut? Or the 4 hour version?

Keep in mind that at the orginal theater release audience members were given a glossary/background one pager that they were supposed to read before the movie.

Which version do you recommend? Not sure I was aware of a 4 hr version.
HeadGames
AG
The GoT/HBO people's need to turn it into their next show.
Chipotlemonger
AG
HeadGames said:

The GoT/HBO people's need to turn it into their next show.

Agreed.

A movie is a terrible idea for Dune. Needs much more screen time to flesh it out.

One can hope.

I think it's time for a reread of Dune...it's been a while.
TCTTS
AG
Re-read the announcement. It's a movie-tv show franchise type of thing. Meaning it'll expand across both.
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

Re-read the announcement. It's a movie-tv show franchise type of thing. Meaning it'll expand across both.

It sounds to me like they really don't know what they'll do with it yet.
TCTTS
AG
I mean, yeah, they're still figuring it all out, but that's the current plan, and they couldn't have purchased the rights without explicitly allowing themselves that freedom.
TCTTS
AG
Never read Dune, never watched Dune (though I did see Jodorowsky's Dune), but now it's suddenly toward the top of my must-see list...

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/denis-villeneuve-dune-reboot-legendary-pictures-1201929280/
Sex Panther
AG
After just seeing Dune, I can tell you that I don't think there could be a more perfect pick than Villenueve.

Also, Lynch's Dune is amazingly terrible.
Duncan Idaho
Sex Panther said:

After just seeing Dune, I can tell you that I don't think there could be a more perfect pick than Villenueve.

Pfft. What has this guy done besides arrival and sacario and prisoners?

I honestly don't know how they could have made a better Dune movie in 1987 than what Lynch was able to pull off. The sets were perfect, the costumes were spot on, the guild navigator was great. The worms were great for thier day. The world is so expansive, and the details within and between the families are so important that it was bound to make a horrid movie.

It would be like trying to make a 2 hr version of A Game of Thrones.

I honestly have no idea how anyone can pull this off as a stand alone feature length film.
TCTTS
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Sex Panther said:

Pfft. What has this guy done besides arrival and sacario and prisoners?

I honestly don't know how they could have made a better Dune movie in 1987 than what Lynch was able to pull off. The sets were perfect, the costumes were spot on, the guild navigator was great. The worms were great for thier day. The world is so expansive, and the details within and between the families are so important that it was bound to make a horrid movie.

It would be like trying to make a 2 hr version of A Game of Thrones.

I honestly have no idea how anyone can pull this off as a stand alone feature length film.

Yeah, just two of the best movies of the past two years, along with another great thriller. No big deal.

Also, AGAIN, this isn't going to be a "stand alone feature length film." The movie Villeneuve directs is going to be the SET UP for a narrative that will be told across multiple films and likely television as well.
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS
AG
We need a damn sarcasm font.
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

We need a damn sarcasm font.

Tonne fair it was only the first part that you bolded that was sarcastic
schmendeler
AG
TCTTS said:

Never read Dune, never watched Dune (though I did see Jodorowsky's Dune), but now it's suddenly toward the top of my must-see list...

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/denis-villeneuve-dune-reboot-legendary-pictures-1201929280/
sweeet
AliasMan02
AG
Hard to think of how you set up a Dune story with a movie, assuming Paul's story is the focus. Hmmm...

I guess the movie story could start with the departure from Caladan, through the betrayal of Yeuh, and carry through the death of Liet and Paul's acceptance by the Fremen. That's a natural break.

The show would then have a lot of ground to cover with him rising through the Fremen ranks, establishing himself as the Lisan al Gaib on one hand and Kwizatz Haderach on the other, leading raids against the Harkonnen. You'd have the birth of Alia in there.

Assuming they would want to end with a movie again, they could pick up with the Emperor coming to Arrakis, the raid on the southern seitch, and the final battle in Arakeen... You'd have to stretch that somehow. Maybe start a little earlier with Paul summoning the Maker as his last test before leading the Fremen to outright war.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I highly recommend reading the book if any haven't.
israeliag
AG
Officially official: Villeneuve on for Dune

So excite
israeliag
AG
Now I just need to start my campaign for Muse to compose the soundtrack
Duncan Idaho
My big concerns still remain

1)How do you capture the political nature of the books in a movie. The series I can see pulling it off, but not a 3 hour movie

2) so much of the book's original magic was that he established this universe and didn't explain how a damned thing worked (except for the holtzman effect of shooting a shield with a laser). The son then went on to ruin the universe by explaining everything (and doing a crappy job of it). I fear that the movie will try to explain too much and ruin it (think the force in the prequels vs the force in the OT or even rebels and rogue one.)
israeliag
AG
I'd do it this way (spoilers ahead for anyone not familiar with the plot):

2 Films
  • First film starting as the book does and ending after the Harkonen take over of Arrakis, thus focusing on the transfer of power of Arrakis, the importance of Spice, the rule of the Atredies, the deceipt by the Empire and just touching on the mystique of the Fremen, the Bene Gessirit, and Paul's importance.
  • Second film takes over there, focusing on the Fremen, the rebellion, Paul's growth into Moadib (further delving into the Bene Gessirit) and the coup over the Empire.

TV Series
  • In conjunction with the films a prequel series focusing on the Butlerian Jihad. I'll admit I haven't read the novels on this, but I think this could be a fascinating series based on the concept alone... but maybe just tie in Westworld :P
  • A follow-on series after the two films that covers Dune Messiah (S1) and Children of Dune (S2+3, maybe 4). This allows showing the repercussions of Paul's reign, and (in what was an alluring aspect of the sequel novels to me) removes the sheen of the heroic story that preceded it and turns it into a tragedy.
  • If the follow-on series work, maybe approach God Emperor of Dune. The book kinda sucked, and takes place so far after the preceding stories, but I think it could make a pretty good series, but at most three 10-episode seasons, better if two. And we'd likely get a near endless supply of Duncan Idaho memes.

I haven't read beyond that since I was pretty put off by the series after God Emperor.

Funky Winkerbean
AG
israeliag said:

Now I just need to start my campaign for Rush to compose the soundtrack

Fify
israeliag
AG
Ohh I'm 100% serious about Muse being a fit. If there's one thing the original got right and should be paid service to it's the music.

Tell me that Knights of Cydonia isn't a great proof of concept for a modern interpretation of the Toto + Brian Eno masterpiece theme song:

Add to that Muse's delving into classical mixed with rock (the Exogenesis symphony parts from The Resistance or the last two songs from The 2nd Law) and it's almost like they have auditioned for it already.
Kampfers
AG
Speaking of the music, that's what I was most intrigued with when I first heard about Jodorowsky's Dune. Pink Floyd making the soundtrack? Would have been amazing.

Muse would be a solid choice but I would hope that it would lean closer to their earlier albums.

YouBet
AG
Muse is an excellent choice for the music.

Funny you mention them because I've always had them as my number one option for the Flash Gordon sequel that apparently no one else in America wants. They are the perfect soul mate to Queen.
Clavell
AG
Another article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/02/02/another-shot-at-dune-the-sci-fi-novel-hollywood-has-yet-to-tame-gets-a-director/?utm_term=.a347b0ebce5d
G Martin 87
AG
This is a FANTASTIC listen regarding the original film:

https://www.theincomparable.com/ump/37/

Regarding casting, either Charlize Theron or Rachel Weisz would be perfect for Jessica. And I love the suggestion of Joseph Gordon-Levitt for Duncan.
Al Bula
AG
Clavell said:

Another article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/02/02/another-shot-at-dune-the-sci-fi-novel-hollywood-has-yet-to-tame-gets-a-director/?utm_term=.a347b0ebce5d
From the article:
Quote:

Several competent directors have tried and failed to translate "Dune" into a competent film.

snowdog90
I read Dune when I was about 14. I need to read it again as I'm sure I missed much of the meaning as such a youngster. Even having read the book prior, and greatly anticipating Dune the movie, I thought the movie was simply awful.

If a new movie is made, it can't be any worse than the 84 version, but just in case, let's keep Peter Jackson FAAAAAR AWAY from whatever process takes shape.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.