***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

217,882 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bird Poo
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://flip.it/ea-bV0

Legendary bought film rights.
Hulla Baller
AG
The spice must flow.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Patrick Stewart can still play Gurney Halleck, but no stupid weirding modules
schmendeler
AG
Hell yes. Down with house Harkonnen.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Off-topic yet on-topic:

After seeing the documentary, I would love to see a film version of Jodorosky's Dune. It sounded utterly bizarre yet fascinating.
Duncan Idaho
i feel like I've been down this path before
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Coming from you this is impressive. Haven't you been resurrected a LOT?
SeattleAgJr
Brennus said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Coming from you this is impressive. Haven't you been resurrected a LOT?
bravo, sir.
SeattleAgJr
Duncan Idaho said:

and you for the setup.
AliasMan02
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Off-topic yet on-topic:

After seeing the documentary, I would love to see a film version of Jodorosky's Dune. It sounded utterly bizarre yet fascinating.

I get that his vision was inspiring to a lot of people, but after watching that doc, I can say 100 percent that movie would have sucked.

Dune is my favorite book. Frank Herbert is one of my creative heroes. But... the biggest problem with doing a film series is that the source material goes way off the rails very fast. WAY off the rails, VERY fast. Like, clone Duncan Idahos trying over and over again to kill his omnipotent man-god who turned himself into a worm.

To do it right, the original book would need to be cut into pieces and the story told like a two (or maybe three) part epic. Film it all at once and release it in consecutive years or something.

Film one would be House Atreides gaining and losing Arrakis. Probably end with Paul's duel with Jamis and subsequent naming, which for the first time confirms that he had true prescience. Puts a nice bow on it.

Film two would pick up two years later with Paul as the Fremen warlord leading his assault on the Imperial and Harkonnen forces along with his plans to reform the planet, and end with the assault on Arakeen and the duel with Feyd, and ultimately Paul's installation as Emperor.

Any films beyond that could utilize the books somewhat, but the further you went, the more you'd have to deviate and create a new story. Living gods make poor protagonists.
policywonk98
AG
So difficult to adapt arguably the best written sci-fi novel of all time. Even if that's too subjective, its the best selling Sci-Fi novel of all time. I guess if you can successfully adapt LOTR you can Dune. But I would not consider the 84 film or mini-series successful adaptations.

AliasMan02
AG
policywonk98 said:

So difficult to adapt arguably the best written sci-fi novel of all time. Even if that's too subjective, its the best selling Sci-Fi novel of all time. I guess if you can successfully adapt LOTR you can Dune. But I would not consider the 84 film or mini-series successful adaptations.

I think a good comparison is Ender's Game. So hard to boil down such an intricate, deep story into a two hour film for mass consumption. See what that got us.. something ultimately disappointing.

Fwiw, that's another book series that you can start strong with, but if you want to continue you'd have to steer away from the books.
PatAg
AG
AliasMan02 said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Off-topic yet on-topic:

I get that his vision was inspiring to a lot of people, but after watching that doc, I can say 100 percent that movie would have sucked.

Dune is my favorite book. Frank Herbert is one of my creative heroes. But... the biggest problem with doing a film series is that the source material goes way off the rails very fast. WAY off the rails, VERY fast. Like, clone Duncan Idahos trying over and over again to kill his omnipotent man-god who turned himself into a worm.

To do it right, the original book would need to be cut into pieces and the story told like a two (or maybe three) part epic. Film it all at once and release it in consecutive years or something.

Film one would be House Atreides gaining and losing Arrakis. Probably end with Paul's duel with Jamis and subsequent naming, which for the first time confirms that he had true prescience. Puts a nice bow on it.

Film two would pick up two years later with Paul as the Fremen warlord leading his assault on the Imperial and Harkonnen forces along with his plans to reform the planet, and end with the assault on Arakeen and the duel with Feyd, and ultimately Paul's installation as Emperor.

Any films beyond that could utilize the books somewhat, but the further you went, the more you'd have to deviate and create a new story. Living gods make poor protagonists.
I agree with everything you just wrote. Jodorosky's Dune was an interesting documentary, and I appreciate his dedication, but it didn't really seem like the kind of thing I'd enjoy personally.
Sex Panther
AG
AliasMan02 said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Off-topic yet on-topic:

After watching several of his movies, I can confirm 100 percent that it would have indeed sucked.
Al Bula
AG
I love Dune.

I love the 1984 movie for different reasons.

I try to think of the movie as in interpretation by some Ixian historian (Bronso?) of the real story (Herbert's novels). The movie is cheesy AF at times but was incredible for 1984. Not all scifi could match up to Star Wars and Star Trek- budget-wise-in the early 80s.

As a Dune purist, I'm not sure I am willing to give any new movies a shot for two main reason:

1. Dune is a terribly hard story to do visually. The characters are complicated and have lots of internal dialogue going on, which does not translate entirely well when you do it onscreen. Written words do a much better job at Third person omniscient point of view than film.

2. Brian Herbert is attached as executive producer. Being cynical, I believe he has been trying to jumpstart a film/TV rights deal for YEARS since he has vomited so much crap Dune prequel nonsense. His books are TERRIBLE. There's no doubt he will weave all the prequel garbage into any new films in order to legitimize his contributions to the "Dune-iverse."

I am just fine with rereading Dune over and over and never seeing a new movie made.
chipotle
I thought the movie was awesome. I still have no idea what it's about but it was still cool to watch.
bangobango
AG
I thought the scify miniseries was well done, and ended right where it needed to end, before everything go all weird big god *****y.
Duncan Idaho
RPM said:

I love Dune.

I love the 1984 movie for different reasons.

I try to think of the movie as in interpretation by some Ixian historian (Bronso?) of the real story (Herbert's novels). The movie is cheesy AF at times but was incredible for 1984. Not all scifi could match up to Star Wars and Star Trek- budget-wise-in the early 80s.

As a Dune purist, I'm not sure I am willing to give any new movies a shot for two main reason:

1. Dune is a terribly hard story to do visually. The characters are complicated and have lots of internal dialogue going on, which does not translate entirely well when you do it onscreen. Written words do a much better job at Third person omniscient point of view than film.

2. Brian Herbert is attached as executive producer. Being cynical, I believe he has been trying to jumpstart a film/TV rights deal for YEARS since he has vomited so much crap Dune prequel nonsense. His books are TERRIBLE. There's no doubt he will weave all the prequel garbage into any new films in order to legitimize his contributions to the "Dune-iverse."

I am just fine with rereading Dune over and over and never seeing a new movie made.

I agree with every word of this
YouBet
AG
I only ever read the next book after Dune but don't remember it. It didn't capture me like the original did. Also, one of the few times in my life where I saw the movie before I read the book. After reading it, I understood completely why the movie had so much missing from it.

I did read several of the prequels Brian Herbert wrote and I didn't think they were that bad. They weren't fantastic but I was entertained.
Mathguy64
AG
The Scifi channel miniseries I thought did a much better job of capturing the essence of the book itself. Of course they had something like 4.5 hours available to them.
israeliag
AG
I love both Dune the film and the book. The book has been on the top of books I want to see (re)done in film, and it really doesn't strike as unfilmable. As others have stated before, it could easily be made into two films, but any more than that will be a stretch.

I toil with liking Dune Messiah possibly more than Dune, but that would make a crap film (especially following Dune) as it's so tragic. Children of Dune would suck as a film, too, as it'd be too... boring? And God Emperor of Dune while fitting a more linear story telling, would just suck as an epic film (it could maybe work as a small to mid-budget film with Leto II as an antagonist).

That said, would it be blasphemy to think Peter Jackson could do a great job bringing Dune to life (granted he doesn't string it out like he did the Hobbit)?

Also, Sean Bean would have to be cast as Duke Leto.
AliasMan02
AG
Bean is a great choice for Leto.

For Jessica, you'd need someone who could pull off the elegant consort and turn on the super scary badass when needed. I was kinda thinking Morena Baccarin, but I don't think she's quite old enough and the role could use someone with acting chops a little above her game. One of the strongest female characters in fiction needs a great portrayal. Angelina? Actually... I just realized the only choice is Charlize Theron.

Paul is the toughest casting. He's supposed to be 15, but I think you'd certainly cast him older and maybe even make his character more like 18 due to the adult nature of his role and associations. He takes lovers and has kids and ritualistically kills and makes drums or of the skins of his enemies, after all. I think you'd need an unknown. Would need tons of range.

So many great characters.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I read the book for the first time right before the original movie came out in 1984. The book was and remains one of my 2-3 favorite novels. The movie was a visual feast and did a decent job of telling the story but there was always something missing to the movie. Not sure what it was as it has been a good 20 years since I last saw the movie. The book was just brilliant, but the movie was overall "meh".

If they remake Dune, I would love to see it as a 2-movie series. And just give me the book of Dune. No prequels. Nothing from any of Herbert's sequels, of which I have read only the first one following Dune. Don't recall the title, but I do recall thinking it sucked. Killed any interest in reading any further (not that starting at A&M in the fall following the movie's release would really have allowed me time for pleasure reading).

I really liked the visual design in the movie, and much of the cast was damn good. Any time I see Sting anywhere doing what he typically does, singing, I see him as the Harkonnen; funny that despite all he has done it is this fairly minimal role in a "meh" sci-fi movie from the mid-1980s that I associate him with. I also always loved the score by Toto for the original movie. Still listen to the Desert theme on occasion even after this many years.
Quad Dog
AG
israeliag said:

Also, Sean Bean would have to be cast as Duke Leto.
I see what you did there.
wesag
AG
Sting
TX AG 88
AG
Quote:

Paul is the toughest casting. He's supposed to be 15, but I think you'd certainly cast him older and maybe even make his character more like 18 due to the adult nature of his role and associations. He takes lovers and has kids and ritualistically kills and makes drums or of the skins of his enemies, after all. I think you'd need an unknown. Would need tons of range.

too bad the kid that played Joffrey on GOT retired from acting. Would be great to see him as a protagonist. He was so good as a villan!
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
TX AG 88 said:

Quote:

too bad the kid that played Joffrey on GOT retired from acting. Would be great to see him as a protagonist. He was so good as a villan!
Maybe it should be Rickon, oh wait if he can't zigzag from an arrow he can't walk without pattern.
Al Bula
AG
Brennus said:

Maybe it should be Rickon, oh wait if he can't zigzag from an arrow he can't walk without pattern.
NICE
PatAg
AG
TX AG 88 said:

Quote:

I had never heard that about Jack Gleeson (joffrey). Google tells me he has changed his mind about that.
israeliag
AG
How great would it be to have Joffrey play a protagonist and the son of Ned Stark
israeliag
AG
I'd cast rachel Weisz in the role of Jessica.
AliasMan02
AG
israeliag said:

I'd cast rachel Weisz in the role of Jessica.

Great choice.
Al Bula
AG
While the joke about Sean Bean was good, he is too old (57) to play Leto. He might make a pretty badass Liet Kynes though.

I think Richard Armitage (Thorin) would make a good Leto. He is actually 6'2" and 45 years old.

Keeping it in The Hobbit realm, I think Martin Freeman would make a good Yueh.

Jeremy Irons for Thufir Hawat

Joseph Gordon-Levitt for Duncan Idaho

Karl Urban for Gurney

Can Linda Hunt still get around? Bring her back as Mapes

Vinnie Jones as Rabban

Dominic West as Shaddam IV

Margot, Hasimir, and the younger characters are hard to think about at the moment.

Brad Dourif could still play a creepy ass Piter. I think he could do better in a remake. I love that character!

Disclaimer: I am having fun here since Brian Herbert will ruin any future films.
AliasMan02
AG
How about Jude Law for Piter?
Max Power
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Off-topic yet on-topic:

I enjoyed it until I just couldn't handle how insane it got, the guy came off as a borderline lunatic. This is an interesting property to studios because if done right there is potential for a long running income stream. But the caveat is how much work and money it would take.

Please God, do not let Peter Jackson be involved.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.