The Affair season 3

5,403 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mazzag
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Premiere is tonight.

Who's ready?
cmk10
AG
Pumped for it
Al Bula
AG
Was not aware it was already starting. Thanks!
Al Bula
AG
Pretty terrible first episode. Hope it gets better.
Bunk Moreland
Fixing to watch in a bit. That sucks the first ep isn't great.
Southlake
Was initially supposed to be a one season show. Was so good they spread it to two seasons.

Season three is just going to be awful.

Season opener was terrible.
Bunk Moreland
Finally watched.

The episode wasn't great but I didn't hate it*

*this depends completely on how they choose to use it going forward.

Too much artistry by the director, but I'm in for the season.

For them to jump 3 years meant we almost needed a re set episode like that.

Ep 2 is available on showtime anytime. Hoping to watch it tomorrow
TCTTS
AG
Haven't been able to catch the season premiere yet, but may just wait now and watch the first two episodes back to back, after reading these reactions.

Speaking of, I went to a friend's wedding in Montauk last month and made stops at a couple of show landmarks. A single lobster role was a whopping $25 at the Lunch spot, and there was a big "The Affair" poster right when you walk in, with other Affair knick-knacks you could buy. Very touristy, and the vibe was not at all like the show, but still cool to eat there nonetheless. The lighthouse was awesome, though, at the edge of really nice little park. Such a beautiful area overall...

Al Bula
AG
That's pretty cool! I'd really like to visit Montauk.
OKCAG02
AG
Thought the first episode was still good.
marble rye
AG
First episode made me extremely irritated with Noah. Just took hit after hit on his stent in prison from everyone and didn't "fight back". It was a beating to watch.
TCTTS
AG
Finally caught up. First two episodes were pretty dull, IMO. I get why they jumped ahead three years (to skip the whole jail stint), but the problem with skipping that much time is that nearly every scene over these first two episodes has been characters recapping or alluding to in conversation what they've been up to for the past three years. The scene this week with Alison talking to that redhead guy in the bar about abandoning her kid was just excruciating. His only job was to literally be the audience surrogate: "So what happened next?" "And then what did you do?" Ugh.

Also, Brendan Frasier as the silent prison guard is just straight up weird. Where has that guy been? (the actor not the character)

And what surgeon rents the basement bedroom of a New York brownstone, even it's from the woman he's sleeping with? Not only could he afford the entire building, but the whole thing felt like it was simply in service of the moment he chose to move upstairs. So dumb.

Hoping things to start to pick up now that the table setting is (hopefully) out of the way...
marble rye
AG
Yeah...the red headed guy that was loathsome slime is now all huggy huggy and she's pouring her heart out to him?

And her annoying mouth shape.

Anyone noticed how much duck face Helen has at all times??
marble rye
AG
No comments this week?

I don't know why they are bringing in a new character for POV changes. I really don't care about the French teacher.

Noah is getting more and more unbearable. Now we have these angsty college kids on the scene with all the dinner debates.

This season kinda sucks so far. Not a fan.
mavsfan4ever
AG
This season has been really bad. I can't stand the college students and the dinner parties. Also, the interaction between Allison and the red-headed previous owner of the restaurant was just really strange. His whole personality and mannerisms were completely different than previous seasons. It's like having a kid on the way completely changed everything about him? Really bizarre.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, not feeling this season at all so far. The whole prison guard storyline is just so cheap and soap opera-ish. If it really turns out to be that Brendan Frasier either A) has some creepy vendetta against Noah from high school, or B) has some creepy infatuation with Alison based on a single photo, I'm going to be pretty disappointed. None of that is an extension of the previous two seasons. It feels like a show that's just spinning its wheels, desperately trying to invent story solely because they got picked up for another season, when it should be the other way around - that they got picked up because they had more story to tell. Granted, it's still early, a lot could happen, and I'll stick with it, but it's definitely starting to feel like they should have wrapped up the story last year, which was an excellent season, and a natural continuation of the first. Alison and her kid, Noah and the prison guard, the French chick, etc., all just feel like problems they scrambled to invent...
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea I went back and watched the season 2 finale before starting Season 3. I forgot how great it was and it made me excited about starting Season 3. Then it was just a complete let down.
Southlake
Like milking a dry cow.
Al Bula
AG
Terrible. Should have ended after two seasons.
dave94
AG
I'm hoping that they have a plan and it will go somewhere decent. I'll hold on another week or two and see.
ellebee
Dang I thought this was only season 2! Can't stand the French lady and Noah is just a d-bag. I hope someone other than Encino man stabbed him. That's pretty obvious. I think he's hallucinating.
Al Bula
AG
This is soap opera with tits and the f word. Could be the pissed off chick student who seems to want to bang Noah but hates him because he derided her writing or could be the male student banging the French prof because he still wants the chick who wants to bang Noah.

Sound complicated? That's a soap opera.

Hope it's not the dude from the mummy because he seems like a red herring. But maybe I'm at overestimating the people who write the show.

I'll give it til the end of the season.
cmk10
AG
It has been beyond bad so far this season.... They should have stopped after the second season...
Al Bula
AG
It's so bad and I can't stop watching.

I don't think I've ever heard a worse main title song either.
Bunk Moreland
I haven't watched 2 and 3 yet, but probably will tonight. Looking forward to the awfulness.
TCTTS
AG
Finally caught last night's episode and holy sh*t, this show is officially terrible.

Oh, the horsey drama!

The monkey bars! Oh, no, not the monkey bars!

What is this season even about? A semi-custody battle that's actually going pretty good, all things considered? A prison guard stalker introduced out of now where? An evil redheaded man who is suddenly the nicest person on earth, with all sins forgotten?

In all seriousness, I don't understand how this went from such an amazing second season to what we've witnessed these past four episodes. This show used to have an actual, intriguing hook with such clearly defined stakes and drama. Now, it's just... nothingness. I could not care less who stabbed Noah, the whole French woman thing is a dud, and Alison maybe one day getting unsupervised visitation rights definitely does not make for great drama. And if there's not a central conceit driving and binding any of these threads, what's the point?

Also, did we know Cole was the father before tonight? I have no memory of that ever being confirmed, but I could be wrong.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm giving it 'til the end of the year - which, I guess, is only one more episode, since they're skipping Christmas weekend - and if something interesting does't happen, I seriously doubt I'm coming back in the new year. As far as I'm concerned, the story I cared about is over. Noah finally wrote his best-selling novel, Scotty's killer was revealed, all affairs were discovered and dealt with accordingly, and Noah ultimately went to jail for his sins. What we're watching now feels like a zombie version of the show; like the real writers quit and a room full of fans decided to keep the show going, and for some reason Showtime paid for it and aired it.

Really hoping they somehow turn it around, but I'm not holding my breath.
marble rye
AG
Yes. At the end of Season 2, Cole's brother threatens Allison to tell Cole that it's his kid if she doesn't pony up the $$$ for the Lobster Roll. Then she tells Noah he isn't the father.

Then Noah leaves the party with Helen. Both drunk. Brother is harassing Allison by the road and tries putting the moves on her or says something to make her angry and she shoved him into Helen's oncoming car.

Thus the murder trial. Allison is the biggest POS onot this show. And yet part of me still wants her to punch Luisa in the face for being such a b to her.

Cole is a moron ruled by his D. This episode has kept me intrigued for another week.

Still hate this season. And GIVE YOUR KID A DAMN BREAK AND STOP KISSING HER FACE ALL THE TIME.
TCTTS
AG
Thanks for the reminder. I had totally forgot that Alison + Helen + Noah all basically killed Scotty. And then yeah, now that you say that, I do remember the blackmail thing as well.

In agreement with you 100% on everything else too. Alsion definitely sucks, and I was not expecting the instant hate I now have for Luisa as well. Not a single likable character on this show.
ellebee
I can not stand Luisa. IT'S NOT YOUR EFFING KID!! Noah is a complete scumbag and Allison is an idiot. I don't know who I'm rooting for at this point but Luisa jumped to the front of the hatred line.
'03ag
I will forever hate this show for taking Alice away from Luther.
Bunk Moreland
Finally caught up. Agree with the sentiments on here. All the characters suck. The time jump was fine but not used as a device to show us some rough guard in his prison days tormenting him and it affecting his new life.

**** is just stupid. I feel like we were not given the opportunity to see them jump the shark from an intriguing show to crap. They just showed up for season 3 and it sucked right out of the gate.
marble rye
AG
Also...who says, "here is your cake. You need to take it back. we already had a cake and I went through ssooooo much to plan this party" to a kid's mom.

Just throw the damn cake away or take it to the Lobster Roll and sell it for $10/slice.
ellebee
Bc she's a C U Next Tuesday
TCTTS
AG
Ha, that was so weird/stupid. It's like the writers have forgotten basic human interaction.

And I still can't get over the monkey bars thing. Or the horse. Literally, the most dramatic/harrowing thing to happen in this episode was witnessing the basic play habits of a four year old on a playground and at her birthday party. And we had to watch it all twice!
Counterpoint
AG
My wife LOVED the first two seasons of this show, but doesn't realize the third season has started. Should I tell her, or spare her the time and heartache since it sounds like the show has crapped out?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.