Mars

2,725 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MidnightYell2003
drewbie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone catch the premier on National Geographic this week? I liked the structure of flipping back and forth between 2016 with real people and 2033 with the actors. Definitely will watch more.
Coppell97
AG
Liked the first episode.
TheOriginalRedBaron
Will episodes be repeated? I'd like to catch it from the beginning.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I liked it. Not groundbreaking but a good episode.
Al Bula
AG
drewbie08
AG
I imagine so. I think it comes on on Monday nights. You can probably find this week's episode reaired several times prior to next Monday.
hunter2012
AG
Red rising or the Expanse, I can't decide which to watch...
double aught
AG
RPM said:

Chappelle's Show's best skit.

I liked the first episode of Mars. It's (finally) an exciting time for space travel again. Hopefully this stuff comes to fruition.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
RPM said:

RED ROCKS!
aggieforester05
AG
hunter2012 said:

I'm a streamer and not up to date on all the new network shows. Is there a red rising series somewhere I'm missing? I've listened to the audiobooks and would love to watch a series.
AgGrad99
AG
We thought it was great!

It's a pretty unique concept, the way they are weaving modern day science, with a fictitious story in the future. I'm really digging it.

The only reason I tuned in was because Ron Howard was involved...
AgBQ-00
AG
Just watched the first episode thought it was great. Really exciting times we are living in. I really think there will be people on Mars before I die. That is awesome if you ask me
TheOriginalRedBaron
Quote:

I really think there will be people on Mars before I die. That is awesome if you ask me
I'm older than you and not so sure for myself. I think there may be people on Mars before my kids die.
drewbie08
AG
I think 2033 might be a bit early, but I bet there will have been more than one manned mission to land on Mars by 2050.

It's very exciting! I always like hearing about positive spacex news. Apparently their carbon fiber fuel tank for the Mars rocket is testing well.
AgGrad99
AG
Besides their benefit to science, SpaceX is such a great example about economics. I'm fascinated by the way they've used their technology to fund themselves, all with an eventual goal of Mars and exploration.

This is why an agency like NASA is hindered. They are brilliant people who have done a lot for science. But they dont have the extra incentive that comes from working towards sustaining their endeavors.

It's cool to see how both groups have come together to compliment each other.
KidDoc
AG
For some reason it never clicked with me that the real reason SpaceX is trying to land rockets is to figure out how to land one on Mars. Brilliant!

Great show, wife didn't find it interesting but I am hooked for sure.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
Oy that drop into the lava tube had me stressed (ep3)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jkag89
Was somewhat lukewarm after the first episode, maybe it was just getting use to the format of the show, but I'm hooked now.
Spotted Ag
AG
My 9 yr old daughter is hooked on this show. She LOVES it. Hopefully, she will go to A&M and get her BS in ASE then go to MIT for a MS in Astrophysics then get hired by SpaceX and make lots of money and buy her daddy lots of fine weapons and bourbon.
VanZandt92
whoops wrong spelling
TexAgs91
AG
Quote:

This is why an agency like NASA is hindered. They are brilliant people who have done a lot for science. But they dont have the extra incentive that comes from working towards sustaining their endeavors.
Having a new president come every 4 - 8 years and play rocket scientist tends to do that for an agency. They had brilliant people who were gearing up to do lunar missions and then Obama gutted our manned space program. Then in the eyes of Joe Public it's Nasa's fault that they can't get their act together.
AgGrad99
AG
I hear ya.

But if the budget isn't inflated, and if the agency I making money, it isn't quite the target for a new admin. You don't get that with govt agencies though.
MidnightYell2003
AG
aggieforester05 said:

hunter2012 said:

I'm a streamer and not up to date on all the new network shows. Is there a red rising series somewhere I'm missing? I've listened to the audiobooks and would love to watch a series.
I do not believe there is a Red Rising series. A movie is "in development" according to wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Rising
07ag
AG
why was there a door there that any moron could open that easily? seems an unnecessary hazard and poor design. besides the potential for the crazy dude to open it, too easy to bump the wrong button and unlock it. also they could see what he was about to do, why don't they have the ability to lock it from afar?
GCRanger
AG
My wife and I were annoyed by that too. But it makes sense for a modular compound to have doors so you can easily add modules. However, it makes no sense that it was an active door, it should have been disabled. Shirtless guy starring at a door should have sounded the alarm immediately. I think the point of the whole episode was the unknowns of the human mind under these conditions. I thought it interesting that the Russian 500 experiment results had 4 out of 6 participants having difficulty dealing with long term solitude and cramped quarters.
We've seen humans make bad decisions and go crazy. I guess next season will be when the computer goes on the fritz and tries to kill everyone for their own good.
drewbie08
AG
I don't need any study or test to know that I would go crazy in that environment. Not being able to go outside and see greenery would be awful after about two weeks. That's assuming I didn't go crazy in the 6-8 month journey there.
KidDoc
AG
They did a great job dramatizing the psychological impact of such a colonization but I agree there would not be a door to the outside without a failsafe of some kind.

Still loving it though.
MidnightYell2003
AG
Two great companion books to read based on this series (and are short as well):

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21976097-how-we-ll-live-on-mars

and

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31743633-mars
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.