Netflix's A Series Of Unfortunate Events.

3,882 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AstroAg17
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Couldn't find a thread on this yet, but as a kid these books were pretty awesome, and this is supposed to be Netflix's most expensive production yet. Looking forward to seeing how creepy this will be.

Neil Patrick Harris will be Count Olaf.

Supposed to be out early next year.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.parentherald.com/amp/articles/67355/20160915/series-unfortunate-events-latest-news-neil-patrick-harris-confirms-expensive.htm

Trailer

3rdGen2015
AG
In. Loved these books as a kid. I fully trust Netflix to do it justice and not put out a steaming pile of crap like the Jim Carrey movie.
Zemira
AG
More than their retro hip hop series?
FL_Ag1998
AG
Very nice, just read some of these with my son this summer. Netflix is killing it.
FtBendTxAg
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

In. Loved these books as a kid. I fully trust Netflix to do it justice and not put out a steaming pile of crap like the Jim Carrey movie.

Never read the books, but really liked the movie
Bird Poo
AG
Netflix is becoming my go-to venue for all tv entertainment. I wish they would produce more family friendly series like this, however.
oldag00
AG
What's the target audience age for the books?
3rdGen2015
AG
oldag00 said:

What's the target audience age for the books?
I think my mom has (or had) all of them in her elementary school library. I'd say late elementary school - early middle school age.
Justin2010
AG
I wish they'd do an animorphs reboot.
Redstone
AG
You guys really just now hearing about this?
texasaggie04
AG
Love these books, will definitely watch.
Johnsy3
AG
Bump. Just finished the first episode and it was pretty awesome
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I liked it. I don't know if everyone will though.
fig96
AG
Watched the first ep and it's a lot of fun, lots of subtle humor and some beautiful art direction.
AR_Ag95
Scotty Flamingo
Love it!!
Scotty Flamingo
It gets everything right the Jim Carrey movie got wrong
Scotty Flamingo
Also haven't read the books in years but from what I can remember it follows them pretty closely
3rdGen2015
AG
Just got finished with the first episode. I like the storybook feel that it has so far. It's been a long time since I've read them too, but I agree that it seems like they're doing a good job of following the books.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I never read the books and thought the movie was awful, but first episode was great.
TajMaballer
AG
I get a Wes Anderson Lite vibe and I mean that in the best possible way. I've read up to Book 10, so I don't know how the series ends. I guess they are going for a 3 season show? 2 episodes per book?
Professor Frick
AG
Agreed on the Wes Anderson vibe. The direction to a good extent, but also the writing (very similar to the Royal Tenenbaums in terms of dark, pointed humor)
Sex Panther
AG
TajMaballer said:

I get a Wes Anderson Lite vibe and I mean that in the best possible way.

Good call. First episode was fun. Definitely a perfect role for NPH.

Liked the art direction and design a lot despite having so much CGI. Looking forward to the rest.
3rdGen2015
AG
Finished it today. Love their adaptation. NPH was fun to watch in the role and the kids did a pretty good job. I don't know who does the child casting for Netflix, but they need a raise.
tx1c
AG
TajMaballer said:

I've read up to Book 10, so I don't know how the series ends.
We listened to all of the audio books over a year or two each time we traveled out of town with the kids. I remember the last ones being a little disappointing compared to the rest.

I haven't started watching yet, but the kids have and are enjoying them.
Cyprian
AG
4 episodes in with my oldest kid , we are enjoying it so far
Saxsoon
AG
Never read the books but I am in episode 6 right now. This is a really solid show and I love the super stylized graphical style.

NPH is a freaking boss in this and the child casting was phenomenal. And Patrick Warburton. Are the books like this where LS occasionally pops up to provide context to the scenes? I love the nods to the audience and explaining language and other contextual moments.

Also the NPH conversation about movies vs long form tv was amazing.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
LS was never physically in the story, but the narration of the story is told from his point of view. As far as I can tell Warburton's lines are basically verbatim from the books' version of Lemony Snicket.
Joan Wilder
AG
I've never read the books, but absolutely LOVED this series. The acting and the art direction are fantastic. Love NPH and his henchmen.

I don't know how they filmed those scenes with the baby but she had dying laughing at times.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.