Hacksaw Ridge

13,417 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by claym711
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AgGrad99 said:

CorpsAg11 said:

OldArmy71 said:

I agree that he is a strange choice for this movie.

I enjoyed his work in Social Network and in two dark works, Boy A and Red Riding (both British).

His attempt at a WWII era southern accent on the preview is enough for me to not see it
It's the sole reason I dont want to see it.

It's so cheesy, and stands out so much, I dont think I can get passed it.

They actually have a clip of the real Doss at the end. The gait and accent are nearly perfect, even down to sentence structure.
MrPlow2010
AG
The scenes at the very end of the real Desmond Doss are from this documentary. If any body is interested in learning more about his story I recommend watching this.

He is in his eighties talking about his life and the war. It's cool seeing guys he served along side with talk about him and how most of them didn't like him at first.

I loved this movie very much. It's easily one is my favorites of the year. I thought the acting was great especially Garfield and Weaving. The war scenes were amazing and Gibson did a great job directing it.
The Debt
Ol Jock 99 said:

Brits do Shakespeare. Americans do Big brother.
actually big brother is HUGE in GB. Like Game of Thrones times Breaking Bad big.
Belton Ag
AG
Watched this movie today. Garfield's accent was fine and he did a very good job in the role. Hugo Weaving, who plays Doss' father, was outstanding - to me the second most compelling character in this movie.

Some of the battle scenes could have been a little different. I thought the soldier using the corpse of another as a bullet shield as he runs around firing his weapon was odd. And the scene of the Japanese commander committing seppuku, while 100% factual, was a little out of place in the theme of the movie.

Overall this was a very good war film and one that makes you thankful for men like Desmond Doss.
Tanya 93
AgGrad99 said:

CorpsAg11 said:

OldArmy71 said:

I enjoyed his work in Social Network and in two dark works, Boy A and Red Riding (both British).

His attempt at a WWII era southern accent on the preview is enough for me to not see it

Have you ever heard the actual Doss speak?
BassCowboy33
Tanya 93 said:

AgGrad99 said:

CorpsAg11 said:

OldArmy71 said:

This reminds me about the story of the guy that played "Norm" the pizza delivery boy pretending to be a British architect in There's Something About Mary. The guy to a lot of flak for his over-the-top fake British accent. It turned out that he was actually British and his American accent was the fake one.
homebuildingag
AG
Just watched this all the way through.

Only thing I can say is... wow....

The maker of this documentary did a great job and those guys stories...damn. Those guys have a chance to make even tough guys tear up, and I respected Doss and his story before but that just makes it even more miraculous.
MrPlow2010
AG
Yea I finished it too. It is a great a documentary . It really is easy to see why they are called the greatest generation.
ag_derp
AG
Saw it this morning instead of game.. incredible, some parts were a bit cheesy like the kicking grenade scene, but overall amazing movie.
ja86
AG
the funny thing is he really did kick out at the grenade taking a lot of shrapnel from it.
Ag13
AG
Fantastic movie
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Wow, much better than I thought it would be
BassCowboy33
Nonregdrummer09 said:

Wow, much better than I thought it would be

Out of curiosity, what were you expecting? It is a late year release that is an Oscar front runner. I'm not sure how much extra praise it could have garnered before it's release.
TCTTS
AG
It just looks so incredibly cheesy from the commercials. I'm sure it's legitimately good, but it doesn't look like a slam-dunk Oscar winner from the marketing.
Belton Ag
AG
This movie isn't going to win any Oscars... but it's not a cheesy movie at all, the subject matter is just too serious and it stays too true to Doss' real story for it to be cheesy.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Just wasn't marketed well, and wasn't sure on the cast, but it saved all its punches for the actual film. Mel Gibson showing he still has something left to show in film making. Very impressed.
MrPlow2010
AG
I'm not 100% sure but I think the movie only had a budget if $40 million which seems crazy because it seems like it would be more expensive. Since the budget was so low I doubt they spent a whole lot on marketing.
TCTTS
AG
[Both of you knock it off or both of you will be banned for a month. -Staff]
aTmAg
AG
[Both of you knock it off or both of you will be banned for a month. -Staff]
AliasMan02
AG
So this movie is DOA, right? Only $15 million this weekend. That's tough.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Saw it last night with my dad. Pretty gruesome at points but the movie was excellent. Happy to see Mel Gibson back directing.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I went earlier today to see this. Fantastic war movie. The accent, faked though it was, sounded acceptable to me and was not even something I noticed after a few minutes. Quite a gory movie, not one I would want my wife to see. I also found the father character to be most compelling. I kept wondering who the actor was, his face was familiar, then in one shot of his face, just so, I saw both Red Skull and Elrond - ah, Hugo Weaving. I also liked Vince Vaughn in the role as the drill sergeant.
Bockaneer
AG
I've been wanting to see this one- Vince Vaughn you say? Now I got to see it.
AgGrad99
AG
Tanya 93 said:

AgGrad99 said:

CorpsAg11 said:

OldArmy71 said:

I hadn't until I saw this movie was coming out, and watched a documentary on him.

I dont think they sound anything alike at all. Not really even close. In those clips, Doss sounds like a southern man. In the trailer for the movie, Garfield sounds like an actor imitating a girl from Georgia.

To each his/her own. I'll probably watch this on Netflix at some point.
Bunk Moreland
Saw it and loved it.
watty
AG
Saw it last week. Intense. Incredible movie and one that I have no desire to ever watch again. Really disturbing images. I actually had a nightmare about it that night.

Turns out I actually liked that lead actor. He looked awful in the previews but in the movie, it works just fine. He's good.
Stive
AG
watty said:

Saw it last week. Intense. Incredible movie and one that I have no desire to ever watch again. Really disturbing images. I actually had a nightmare about it that night.

Turns out I actually liked that lead actor. He looked awful in the previews but in the movie, it works just fine. He's good.

Completely agree. Wife and I watched it this weekend and both of us loved it. Didn't even notice his accent after 5 minutes and I was one that thought he sounded stupid in the previews.
mslags97
AG
Finally got to see this one! Great movie! Mel Gibson really knows what he is doing. Glad to see him back! Would really like to see some of the old Mel Gibson ala Payback.

Thought Garfield was perfect in this, and I saw some of him in the documentary clips at the end. He did a great job. Weaving was great as well, as was Worthington and Vaughn. VV was so good and so funny as the drill sergeant in those scenes.

I really thought way too many people on here were way too critical of this before ever seeing it. This, along with Hell or High Water are my 2 favorites so far this year.
Aggies76
AG
^

Totally agree. This movie and Hell or High Water are the 2 best movies of the year so far.
phatpat21
Finally watched this movie tonight and I thought it was fantastic. One of the better/more realistic war movies I've seen. Great story on Mr. Doss, whom I knew nothing about before this movie. What a freaking beast he was. RIP good sir
claym711
AG
Doesn't come close to approaching Saving Private Ryan. Intense scenes with wounds, but overall mediocre acting at best. Vince Vaughn is especially bad.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.