Hacksaw Ridge

13,422 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by claym711
taxpreparer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is this a remake of Sgt. York?
chipotle
Ha. Oh you
wangus12
AG
Nope. Based on a true story of Desmond Doss. Served in Pacific, including Okinawa where he won the MOH.

I will see he is WWII's version of York. Plus York did eventually kill Germans while Doss did not.
taxpreparer
AG
Thanks. I just saw a trailer it sure looked similar.
oragator
Yeah, anyone who doesn't know his story and wants to before seeing the movie, his wiki page sums it up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Doss

But if anyone is emblematic of the diversity and strength in this country and deserves some recognition then and now for his actions, it's this guy.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I like that it is being marketed as "From the Director of Braveheart".
Stupe
S
I'm taking my son to see that.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

where he won the MOH
I believe there is a statement about one not being able to "win" the MOH. It is something that one receives for personal acts of valor above and beyond the call of duty.

CorpsAg11
AG
I love everything about this movie except for the lead actor. I can't stand Andrew Garfield. I think he is a terrible actor.

Am i the only one?
OldArmy71
AG
I agree that he is a strange choice for this movie.

I enjoyed his work in Social Network and in two dark works, Boy A and Red Riding (both British).
Dro07
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

where he won the MOH
I believe there is a statement about one not being able to "win" the MOH. It is something that one receives for personal acts of valor above and beyond the call of duty.

Didn't know their was a competition to "win" it ... geez
CorpsAg11
AG
OldArmy71 said:

I enjoyed his work in Social Network and in two dark works, Boy A and Red Riding (both British).

His attempt at a WWII era southern accent on the preview is enough for me to not see it
OldArmy71
AG
Yep, that was off-putting for me as well.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
This movie just looks bad.
MrPlow2010
AG
I think this movie is gonna be really good. I believe it's in the 90s on rotten tomatoes and everything I've heard is that the war scenes are amazing. I've read the war scenes are the best since Saving Private Ryan. Gibson is a great director and I think he is going to shine with this one. Plus the story of Desmond Doss is great and I'm glad people are gonna get a chance to hear about it.
blackgoldag11
AG
Yep I cringe every time I hear him speak in the preview. It's awful
Furlock Bones
AG
what happened to American actors? why do Brits seem to be filling up so many roles?

so, i just looked it up. apparently, Garfield is Brit-American. i always thought of him as full brit.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Brits do Shakespeare. Americans do Big brother.
Furlock Bones
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Brits do Shakespeare. Americans do Big brother.
sad but true.
Sex Panther
AG
TC, what's Hollywood's take on GIbson at this point? He's done some well received but limited release pictures, and looks like he's now back to directing studio pics. Hollywood willing to forgive and forget in this case or do people still not like him and want to blackball him?

I mean, I'll just come out and say it... I don't know how you say what he did about Jews and ever work again in Hollywood.
TCTTS
AG
I'd say he's pretty much been forgiven. When Robert Downey Jr. and Jodie Foster are two of your best Hollywood friends, and they stick by you through thick and thin, it goes a long way. In fact, a lot of old school Hollywood always loved him, and he's just too iconic and talented to do brush aside for good.
Joan Wilder
AG
Garfield seems to have gone to the Nic Cage school of Southern Accents. Listening to him in that trailer is painful.

The story sounds great but that trailer looks like Pearl Harbor- hackneyed dialogue and overly glossy 40s styling. I'm interested to hear from people who see it when it comes out.
91_Aggie
AG
CorpsAg11 said:

I love everything about this movie except for the lead actor. I can't stand Andrew Garfield. I think he is a terrible actor.

Am i the only one?

You are not. I want to see it but will probably wait for DVD rental just because of Andrew Garfield. He is painful to watch "act:
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, to be clear, I have zero desire to see this movie. Looks super cheesy.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Clarke95 said:

Garfield seems to have gone to the Nic Cage school of Southern Accents. Listening to him in that trailer is painful.

The story sounds great but that trailer looks like Pearl Harbor- hackneyed dialogue and overly glossy 40s styling. I'm interested to hear from people who see it when it comes out.

This exactly.
CorpsAg11
AG
They must have gotten some negative feedback in focus groups on Garfield's awful southern accent b/c the latest preview I've been seeing on TV only has him saying 2-3 words at a time.
Madmarttigan
AG
I really like Garfield as spidey, but that accent is indeed insanely bad lol.
91_Aggie
AG
tv1113 said:

Hated him as spidey. I'm a huge spiderman fan.
Texaggie7nine
Reviews are looking good so far.

I got free passes to a screening tonight. I'll let you know what I think.
7nine
Madmarttigan
AG
91_Aggie said:

tv1113 said:

Hated him as spidey. I'm a huge spiderman fan.

I'm a bigger spidey fan!
The Shank Ag
The real Doss does have an interesting accent. (1:07 mark)
Texaggie7nine
It was well done. Dunno about the best WW2 movie since SPR but pretty close. War scenes are quite gory as you would expect from Gibson. It stuck with the main story quite well and moved maybe a little too briskly, at least once he joined up.

Well worth seeing at the movies.
7nine
AgGrad99
AG
CorpsAg11 said:

OldArmy71 said:

His attempt at a WWII era southern accent on the preview is enough for me to not see it
It's the sole reason I dont want to see it.

It's so cheesy, and stands out so much, I dont think I can get passed it.
Texaggie7nine
Accent didn't bother me at all. Like said above, if you listen to the real Desmond's accent it's not that off.
7nine
BassCowboy33
Wow. Just an unbelievable piece of filmmaking. The most visceral war movie since Saving Private Ryan. Garfield probably grabs an Oscar nom.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.