Timeless premiere

16,548 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by YellowPot_97
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
gotta say I liked it. Maybe it's because I'm a history major, maybe because it's different, but it seems set up well for a good season.
jabberwalkie09
AG
The premier seems like it should have been longer given everything that is going on. A lot of moving parts.

I believed the DHS agent when she said that she didn't know what those two things Spencer's character mentioned when they returned. Notice how the other guy didn't say anything at all. I'm thinking he chose Wyatt and Lucy personally to be on the team. I hope that they don't stretch out the whole "Why did they chose me?" plot for the entire season.

Right now I plan to watch this for the season, but it seems like they're going to have to be spending a lot of time in the past which isn't going to leave a lot of time for the plot in the present.
LC Wannabe
S
I really enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to next week.
3rdGen2015
AG
I thought it was decent, good enough to give it a few episodes to really get going.

My guesses are that Lucy begins to document everything in that little book that the "bad" guy has (note: I think the ultimate baddie is the guy in charge of the time machine). She does this so that she can keep her grasp on reality and not go crazy. She'll lose the notebook or it will get stolen at some point along the way, probably mid season or end of season finale.

I'm interested to see if the show next week is portrayed as them ruining the actual moon landing, or a staged landing that conspiracy theorists love.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I liked it. They could go a lot of different directions with this show. Curious where they go next.
J.P. 03
AG
I enjoyed the premiere, but I can't figure out how much staying power it has. I like the idea of them visiting a different historical period every week, but is every episode going to involve them chasing the bad guy to a new event, failing to kill him every time, and having to correct as many historical "wrongs" he causes as they can? Because I can see that getting old pretty quick if they give it the Wile E. Coyote/Roadrunner treatment.

I did like how they specifically addressed the "well why don't you just go back in time to 5 minutes before all this bad stuff happened and prevent it?" question that seems to plague a lot of time-travel stories, but I can't figure out how they're going to solve for this one: If the good guys can track where the bad guy goes, why doesn't he just lure them to a famous-sounding date and place, then as soon as the good guys chase him there, have one of his henchmen go destroy their time machine since they leave it completely unguarded?

I'm guessing the bad guy somehow NEEDS the history professor to chase him and write down her thoughts to fully execute his plan, so he won't kill her or stop her from chasing him, but that one's going to bug me for a while.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Well, the issue facing Timeless is also the same issue that Legends of Tomorrow faced in it's first season with Vandal Savage. Once the resolved pretty much the entire thing that motivated the formation of the team and such, they had to shift gears (enter season 2) and its first season was shorter than Timeless' will likely be. I don't see how they will be able to stretch it out without it becoming repetitious.
No1home
Wasn't bad but I can see the three main characters becoming annoying very quickly. I also disliked how they glossed over the change to the time line. 3 dozen dead people are no longer dead. In addition there is now an act of terror which would have had a huge effect on the public. Together these two things would almost certainly have had some larger effect on history than a simple footnote. Honestly I was kinda expecting the to came at it from the opposite direction. Something along the lines of once the find where the person went to, the historian present the event and its aftermath which would be different from what we the audience knows. The team then goes back to try and stop them and fail is some way and what ends up happening is the history that we know.
Dro07
AG
I am in so far. Did anyone catch what the mom was originally sick about? I am guessing one of the survivors linage in the Hindenburg was able to cure it but with some sort of side effects to where she can't have children? maybe they found out after her first pregnancy about her sickness causing her not to have Amy?
easttexasaggie04
AG
I was hoping the time machine was a Delorean.
HBCanine08
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I liked it. They could go a lot of different directions with this show. Curious where they go next.
+1
Dro07
AG
I was wondering when a hologram was going to come out asking Ziggy questions.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Watched it last night and like it. I agree with the below quote. I think the book explains lots of things that the bad guy is trying to accomplish.

Quote:

I'm guessing the bad guy somehow NEEDS the history professor to chase him and write down her thoughts to fully execute his plan, so he won't kill her or stop her from chasing him, but that one's going to bug me for a while.

I also think know that the mother is cured and there is no sister the main character is going to try and fix that but realize that she can't have both. I think she will come back every episode and things will have changed. We will only occasionally see the big changes in history but I think she will come home next time and has a sister but the mom is dead, or no fiance or not, or even that her father isn't dead and such.
rosshoss00
AG
Google Abigail Spencer touching herself. It's truly a timeless piece of history.
DTP02
AG
I'm recording the replay of the pilot so I am not reading the whole thread for fear of spoilers, but want to ask a question for those who have seen it, which I would love it if you could reply to this post with input:

- what is your opinion of the suitability for a 10 year old ?

I'd prefer to not have to screen it myself first if there isn't anything objectionable.
Btron
AG
DTP02 said:

I'm recording the replay of the pilot so I am not reading the whole thread for fear of spoilers, but want to ask a question for those who have seen it, which I would love it if you could reply to this post with input:

- what is your opinion of the suitability for a 10 year old ?

I'd prefer to not have to screen it myself first if there isn't anything objectionable.
Minor spoilers but there are some gunshot wounds to the chest and people die. But other than that I'd say it is fine for a 10yr old. Nothing scare or torture scenes or over creepy bad guys.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
rosshoss00 said:

Google Abigail Spencer touching herself. It's truly a timeless piece of history.
And that is why i cant watch anything she is in. Same goes for the chick that plays Supergirl. Just makes it hard (phrasing!) for me to take the show/her character seriously.....
DTP02
AG
Thanks!
annie88
AG
Love time travel and love the premise. Enjoyed the first show. Just hope they don't history-apologize every week for past injustices over and over. We get it, our history was good and bad, quit playing the victim card on the black guy or other things that don't mesh with 2016. A little, okay, but don't beat us over the head with the white people sucked and so did our country. It came about the way it did, good and bad.

I did think it odd that the Hindenburg history did actually change, different people living/dying, but they can remedy that at the end of series I guess with fixing it, even considering the can't travel back to the same place thing. Send other people. Would've been better to have had the current history be the altered one and changed to the real history. But then the storyline about the sister wouldn't be there.

I also see that there's a series based on Frequency (one of my favorite movies). I do love how it alters time in the present and past as does this one.
schmendeler
AG
is Ziggy the narrator?
jabberwalkie09
AG
I watched the premier for Frequency, Peyton List is probably the weakest link in that show. And it's not really based on the movie other than concept.
MaroonStain
AG
rosshoss00 said:

annie88
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

I watched the premier for Frequency, Peyton List is probably the weakest link in that show. And it's not really based on the movie other than concept.
Good to know. I've dvr'd it, but haven't watched. Love the movie. Just re-watched it again about a month ago.
Vernada
AG
We started DVRing it.

I did think - is it a good idea to have a black guy on your 'back in time team'? Just seems like he might really stick out and cause some different issues.
easttexasaggie04
AG
So it looks like it'll be the same thing every episode. Not sure how much longer I'll be watching.
Rudyjax
AG
Wrong thread.
jkag89
If they have episodes that explore the changes now found in the present time line it could be an interesting show. I'm hoping this is where they are planning to take it or otherwise it will become quite repetitive.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I think they're going to explore who her father is. That along with her notebook she apparently is going to write, is going to play into how all this ties together.

Which will be teased, but not revealed in the finale at which time it will be cancelled and we will never find out how all of this shakes out.

3rdGen2015
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

I think they're going to explore who her father is. That along with her notebook she apparently is going to write, is going to play into how all this ties together.

Which will be teased, but not revealed in the finale at which time it will be cancelled and we will never find out how all of this shakes out.

Her dad is totally the leader of the bad guy conspiracy.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Totally.
oragator
Two things-
First, I agree they need to get going on the deeper plot lines before it gets monotonous, but I still think the potential is there.
2nd, as a history major I like the attention to detail. Few people are aware that Booth's brother did in fact save the president's son, that Lincolns son worked for Grant, that Grant turned down a chance to go to the theater that night as did a host of other important people, even the idea of a broader conspiracy isn't that well known. From that angle I thought it was cool.

My only problem last night was that they were talking about how they had to hurry up and go back in time before Flynn changed history, as soon as he went back that would have been reality for them. Gotta get that part sorted out.

Oh, and there is a terminator style possibility, when the dude she travels with turn she out to be her dad. Flynn could be her dad too, which would explain somehow how he got the diary. Because it's likely someone we have been introduced to or will soon,.
J.P. 03
AG
Meh. This week was basically the same as the first two. "Let's go kill the bad guy"..."Dangit! Even though we have an elite special forces guy on our team, he got away again. Guess we'll have to try again next week."

Not sure the bigger, overarching plot--whatever it ends up being--will be enough to keep me interested much longer.
Ag 11
AG
easttexasaggie04
AG
Episodes are already starting to collect unwatched on my DVR, that's a not a good sign for this series.
J.P. 03
AG
They're going to the Alamo next week, so I'm definitely in for that. Beyond that...we'll see.

I will say they did a good job this week of introducing more of the overarching plot than they have in previous episodes, so that's a plus. Still not sure I'll make it the whole season, but I'm still in for now.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.