Sturgill Simpson

11,932 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Okay, this guy is good.

His performance on ACL I found on my DVR.

Very Jason Isbell to me.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Doesn't have the lyrical depth of Isbell, but Sturgill is a very raw, original rock artist. Freaking love him.
AgHawkeye
AG
quote:
Doesn't have the lyrical depth of Isbell, but Sturgill is a very raw, original rock artist. Freaking love him.

I agree that I like Jason's song writing a bit better but think Sturgill has a more pure voice if that makes sense.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
quote:

I agree that I like Jason's song writing a bit better but think Sturgill has a more pure voice if that makes sense.

Gotta disagree.

A) Isbell is underrated as far as his voice. Dude has some pipes. Once you see him live you'll realize he has a beautiful voice.
B) Sturgill has a very gritty, raw voice. Not what I would call pure. Hell...Half the time it's hard to understand him.

They're both great, but I don't think they're very much alike. Isbell is just so far above and beyond anyone as far as song writing and story telling. Sturgill has an incredibly unique sound that very few can emulate.

MW13
AG
One of my favorite concerts ever was seeing Sturgill open for Isbell. Both were fantastic.
Tanya 93
Jason Isbell is probably the best songwriter of this generation.

I just got a Jason Isbell vibe when watching his set on ACL.

I might have to buy some of his stuff.
AgHawkeye
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Gotta disagree.

A) Isbell is underrated as far as his voice. Dude has some pipes. Once you see him live you'll realize he has a beautiful voice.
B) Sturgill has a very gritty, raw voice. Not what I would call pure. Hell...Half the time it's hard to understand him.

They're both great, but I don't think they're very much alike. Isbell is just so far above and beyond anyone as far as song writing and story telling. Sturgill has an incredibly unique sound that very few can emulate.

Well. No way I'm going to argue bc Jason Isbell literally might be my favorite show right now and saw him two nights in a row a few months ago and flying to Mexico to him with Avett Brothers.

I just don't remember being blown away at a concert simply by someone's voice like I have with Sturgill in a long time. It feels like another instrument to me. It is one of the reasons I enjoy him singing covers so much too. It isn't just another person singing a song but a whole new feel to a song.

Anyway. Love them both.
Macarthur
Rbtexan and I had a good conversation about these two. RB is a professional songwriter so he's got that going for him. It's in the country music thread.

He doesn't care much for sturgill. I disagree but it's a good discussion and rbtexan's persoective is a good one.
62strat
AG
quote:

I had a friend play about 3 songs of his this weekend and not once did I understand what he was saying. It was a bit annoying; I want to like him, but to like a singer songwriter/storyteller, I have to be able understand him.

Chris Cornell is about the only exception to that rule.
BurnetAggie99
Sturgill is today's Waylon Jennings
agdoc2001
AG
Sturgill
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Old School Brother
quote:

Well. No way I'm going to argue bc Jason Isbell literally might be my favorite show right now and saw him two nights in a row a few months ago and flying to Mexico to him with Avett Brothers.

Damn you, I really wanted to go to that Avett Bros thing in Mexico, but we're already going to be in Mexico the week before for a wedding in my wife's family. I was really bummed when I saw the date for that.
Ag_07
AG
Couldn't agree more.

I have been a big Isbell fan since the DBT and his early solo stuff. We finally got to see him earlier this year and we were blown away. We left the concert hall saying that it was the best live show we'd ever seen. Usually during a show there are times when I try and time my restroom and bar trips with lulls in the show, but I could never find a spot where I was OK leaving my seat. It was absolutely amazing. If you haven't seen an Isbell show you need to make it happen.

I also got to see Sturgill live and it was awesome as well. The guy has such a unique sound and is pretty damn creative in how he gets his message out through his songs. He's comes off on stage as very abrasive, in your face, here is the music I'm playing like or not, but here it comes. He didn't stop and chat and talk about stories he just got up there and played his songs.

They're both different, both great, and both VERY good for the genre.
israeliag
AG
Thanks for the recommendation!
jh0400
AG
quote:
Rbtexan and I had a good conversation about these two. RB is a professional songwriter so he's got that going for him. It's in the country music thread.

He doesn't care much for sturgill. I disagree but it's a good discussion and rbtexan's persoective is a good one.

I went and found rbt's comparison of Sturgill and Jason Isbell. I'm not as good at listening to music as some people who post on this board, but my opinion is that very few songs will stand up well compared to Alabama Pines. That's got to be one of the top country songs of all time. It's a shame that so few people (relatively speaking) have ever heard it.

Macarthur
quote:
quote:

I went and found rbt's comparison of Sturgill and Jason Isbell. I'm not as good at listening to music as some people who post on this board, but my opinion is that very few songs will stand up well compared to Alabama Pines. That's got to be one of the top country songs of all time. It's a shame that so few people (relatively speaking) have ever heard it.

Well, I certainly would not 'argue' with rbtexan, especially as it relates to the technical aspect of songwriting. However, I can't help but think that the same thing that rbtexan cites as a 'weakness' may actually be what many of us like about him. Frankly, most 'well written' country songs don't do much to move me, at all. STurgill moves me. Certainly, a song can't be a mess, but I think part of the reason that country music is not my main listen is that it is so formulaic. And there are an s-ton of folks in my circle that are rock first folks that really dig Sturgill.
Boo Weekley
Anyone know how to find his performance On Demand, or if that's even possible? Or did you guys set your DVR's to record his ACL session on PBS?
Redstone
AG
A lot of bandwagon fans now, unfortunately.

Few of their so-called current fans have been there since the early material, although it's cute to see threads like this pop up periodically.
AgHawkeye
AG
quote:

Few of their so-called current fans have been there since the early material, although it's cute to see threads like this pop up periodically.

I'm sure Sturgill wishes the only people listening to him were those that listened after his first album.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:

This post couldn't be more Redstone.
Macarthur
If you've got an hour to kill, this is a very interesting listen on the group that manages Sturgill and how they went about his promotion, touring, etc. Keep in mind, it's over a year old so you don't have the new album in the picture.

I just thought it was a neat window into how they went about the business of Sturgill and I have to think it's pretty different than most artists.

Tanya 93
quote:

A classic Redstone post.

Is it better for him not to have fans who recently discovered him?
Redstone
AG
It's fine. I'm glad people are listening to Simpson, Isbell, M. Morris et al. instead of bro-ing out on Bro Country, like texags tends to do.

But let's not pretend like all the bandwagon jumpers were there early. The few of us were there deserve some measure of credit. Which - and again, it's fine - is noteworthy if a bit frustrating in its absence.
AgLaw
AG
quote:
It's fine. I'm glad people are listening to Simpson, Isbell, M. Morris et al. instead of bro-ing out on Bro Country, like texags tends to do.

But let's not pretend like all the bandwagon jumpers were there early. The few of us were there deserve some measure of credit. Which - and again, it's fine - is noteworthy if a bit frustrating in its absence.

Credit for what? Are you responsible for his career?

At the end of the day, who cares when or why someone discovers an artist. It's the mass of support that allows them the financial freedom to continue making the art you appreciate. I say the more the merrier.
FL_Ag1998
AG
It amazes me that people still fall for Redstone bits.
62strat
AG
quote:

The guy was on Letterman 2 months after his second album, 13 months after his first.. I don't where your cutoff of 'early' is, but that's large exposure pretty early on.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
quote:
It amazes me that people still fall for Redstone bits.

and then someone does it 4 hours after, but immediately below your post.
Redstone
AG
Trolls are pathetic losers dreaming of Thanksgiving turduckens from grandpappys frozen basement. You guys are distracting from the topic at hand.
Trident 88
AG
quote:
Sturgill is today's Waylon Jennings

I said the exact same thing to my wife, and I'd love to see what would happen if Sturgill Simpson and Chris Stapleton collaborated.
TXAG 05
AG
I recommend his first album if yall don't have it. Great cover of "I'd have to be crazy" Not to sound like Redstone, but a lot of people probably don't even know it exists.
Macarthur
https://www.facebook.com/sturgillsimpsonmusic/posts/1294328383933460:0
Sex Panther
AG
Sturgill just ripped Nashville, praised Merle, and dropped a Dr. Manhattan reference... That's ****ing epic
CrottyKid
AG
He's just pissed he didn't win it.

And Miranda Lambert sucks so freaking bad.
AgLaw
AG
So, not sure how this happened, but I pretty much missed out on the Jason Isbell train over the last decade. I have a buddy who's really into him, and Drive By Truckers would come up on my Pandora playlist occasionally, but if I had ever heard Jason Isbell before, I didn't really know it. I attribute this to two things: (a) Work, kids, life. Whatever. Just had not paid attention. (B) I'm just now discovering the Americana scene.

I really like Sturgill Simspon, though,* so when fokls on this thread suggested Isbell is better than Sturgill, I figured I'd better give him a listen.

Holy ****, this dude is a genius. There's not a better songwriter out here right now. I have got to see him live. Thanks for the recommendation. If you have any others, let's hear them.

*Epic Sturgill FB rant.
Macarthur
quote:
He's just pissed he didn't win it.

And Miranda Lambert sucks so freaking bad.

Kid, I feel pretty safe is saying that sturgill will sleep plenty well knowing that he didn't win that award.

Also, he added to the rant if y'all haven't seen it.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.