Dark Tower movie still happening?

35,088 Views | 281 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Anchor
Murder Hornet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TC or anyone else in the know...

Is this movie still happening? I searched the Google machine and only found a potential release date of Jan 2017. Should this thing be filming now or is it too early?
SeattleAgJr
last round of news was around Thanksgiving, if I remember.

Rumours of them trying to get Matthew McConaughey (sp) for one of the roles.

Oh yeah, there was also a ****storm about Idris Elba being offered the role of the Gunslinger, because he is black.
Al Bula
AG
Idris Elba is awesome, but he is no Roland.
aggiebq03+
I'm sure it's been discussed here before, but I wish it was a TV series instead of a movie.
MW03
AG
quote:
Oh yeah, there was also a ****storm about Idris Elba being offered the role of the Gunslinger, because he is black.

Elba would be an excellent Roland; however, I'm not sure how they'd handle the character of Susannah with a black Roland.
Ozmandius
Agree. I like Elba. Roland is more about demeanor than appearance.

Susannah will be a tough cast regardless of race.
http://media.aintitcool.com/media/legacy/image/DT2.jpg
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
last round of news was around Thanksgiving, if I remember.

Rumours of them trying to get Matthew McConaughey (sp) for one of the roles.

An emaciated Matthew M (e.g. True Detective) would make a pretty good Roland.
Clavell
AG
Haven't paid attention to this, but how could they possibly do all the books in one movie?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
In addition to my massive Star Wars nerdom, I am a huge DT nerd, complete with a Roland tattoo that takes up half of my right arm.

I've always been of the opinion that they should not make the DT into movies, because it would suck, it would be nearly impossible to do, and because it wouldn't make any money. Sking's work don't translate well to film, and the Dark Tower is so much about visions and dreams and history and weirdness, it would be a bust.

There are elements that would be awesome - the Battle of Tull, the lobstrositeis, Roland's ventures into NYC, most of the plot of Wolves of the Calla (which I'm re-reading now), and especially the tale of Wizard & GLass with Roland, Cuthbert, and Alain in Mejis, but on the whole, I hope they never make it.

And Matthew M. could be a great Flagg/Marten if he really busted his ass for it. Not sure who I would choose as Roland at this point. They've thrown out Aragorn, and then Javier Bardem, I rather like the way Daniel Craig looked in Cowboys & Aliens, but Roland has to carry so much of it because he's alone so much of the time. Clearly Kathy Bates will be needed for Sylvia Pittson, but other than that, it's so daunting an idea.

I'd be cool with it if when HBO is done with GOT they made it into a TV series, but otherwise I never want to see it on screen.
MW03
AG
McConaughey is rumored for Walter.
MW03
AG
I'm on my 6th or 7th trip through the Dark Tower myself.

If you want ambition, read this: http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/10/behold-the-stephen-king-cinematic-universe/

Guy proposes doing The Stand as movies and supported by the DT books as TV series. He goes a bit further, but this would be incredible:

1) The Stand Pt. 1 - in theaters
2) The Gunslinger - 6 episode mini series
3) The Stand Pt. 2 - in theaters
4) The Drawing of the Three - 13 episode mini series
5) The Stand Pt. 3 - in theaters
6) The Wastelands - 13 episode mini series
7) Salem's Lot - in theaters
8) The Stand Pt. 4 - in theaters
9) Wizard and Glass - 13 episode mini series
10) The Wind Through the Keyhole - in theaters
11) Wolves of the Calla - 13 episode mini series
12) Hearts in Atlantis - in theaters
13) Song of Susannah - 13 episode mini series
14) Insomnia - in theaters
15) The Dark Tower - 13 episode mini series
mhayden
Talk about a well-timed question.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/stephen-king-on-dark-tower-movie-its-likely-to-happen-20160209
Ozmandius
amercer
AG
I've read the first four books probably 5 times each (including both versions of #1), and every tie-in, and the last 3 books exactly once....

If he's willing to rewrite pretty much everything after Wolves, then maybe it could be some epic tv/movie extravaganza. But like most of Kings longer works the ending just isn't very good. The problem here is that the "ending" of the dark tower series is about 700 pages of not very good.
PatAg
AG
quote:
quote:

Elba would be an excellent Roland; however, I'm not sure how they'd handle the character of Susannah with a black Roland.
Um, no Elba would not be an excellent Roland. He is a great actor, but nothing like any of the physical descriptions or even in demeanor.
MW03
AG
Hung up on those bombadier eyes, pat? Unfortunately, Clint is 100 years old.
PatAg
AG
I think Timothy Olyphant could pull it off. Has the right build and look, imo. Good at being short with words but conveying a lot.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
I've read the first four books probably 5 times each (including both versions of #1), and every tie-in, and the last 3 books exactly once....

If he's willing to rewrite pretty much everything after Wolves, then maybe it could be some epic tv/movie extravaganza. But like most of Kings longer works the ending just isn't very good. The problem here is that the "ending" of the dark tower series is about 700 pages of not very good.
Yeah, I'm sure he'll get right on that lol.

I really liked the way the Dark Tower ended.
MW03
AG
Olyphant would be a solid choice. Basically play a mix between Deadwood and Justified.

Honestly, I think Eddie Dean is the more important character to nail. People have wanted Aaron Paul, but I think that's more about loving Breaking Bad than doing the character right. I don't want to see the Dark Tower featuring Jessie Pinkman, personally. And I love Breaking Bad. I think the kid from Whiplash (Miles Teller) could kill it in that role.

Anyway, for Roland, if we discount Elba, how about the dude from Hell on Wheels?

I could also see Josh Brolin, or

maybe even Michael Fassbender

amercer
AG
quote:
quote:

Yeah, I'm sure he'll get right on that lol.

I really liked the way the Dark Tower ended.

The last ten pages were fine. It's the 1000 before that which are the problem.

That's for another thread though, so back on topic, in the latest proposal to bring DT to the screen what are they considering? Book 1 for movie 1?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Should do young Roland in Mejis first - starting when he challenges Cort to get at Marten and gets sent to count and meets Susan, etc. Easy villains - Marten, Rhea, Big Coffin Hunters - to get the general viewers involved and have the film end with cameo of old Roland, or even film them concurrently and have Book 1 come out 6 months later - great set pieces for that one - Tull, the Way Station/Jake/Demon, going under the mountains/finding Marten/dropping Jake, and then the palaver at the end, which would be tough on film.

Drawing of the Three would be the third movie, and would be fantastic since it's Roland in NYC.

Combine book 3 and book 4 together since 4 is basically almost already told, let Mr. T voice Blaine, 'Tell me another riddle, fool!".

Book 5 and 6 together as one movie, Book 7 as it's own.
Frok
AG
I love Dark Tower but the actor to play Roland already tells me it won't be that good. There was never any indication in the books that Roland was black. I know there is pressure these days to include that but it just doesn't work for this story.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
I love Dark Tower but the actor to play Roland already tells me it won't be that good. There was never any indication in the books that Roland was black. I know there is pressure these days to include that but it just doesn't work for this story.
I haven't read the books, but is there any indication that he's white besides the cover?
MW03
AG
He's supposed to be a twin for The Man with No Name. Plus, he's repeatedly called a honkey.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
He's supposed to be a twin for The Man with No Name. Plus, he's repeatedly called a honkey.
Like Clint Eastwood The Man with No Name?
MW03
AG
Yes, exactly him.
Sex Panther
AG
These books are so confusing sounding
MW03
AG
quote:

They aren't confusing so much as there's really no way of explaining them, at least not without giving too much away. If you're curious, I'll expound. I just don't want to spoil anything.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I've never been "that guy' in terms of "If they do this, I won't go see the movie." But if Roland is a black guy regardless of how hip Idris Elba might be, I just can't see myself going to see it. If Idris Elba is Marten, I can try at least.

If Roland Deschain, direct descendant of Arthur Eld is a black guy, who's going to play Susannah? Rosie Perez? Melissa McCarthy?
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:

They aren't confusing so much as there's really no way of explaining them, at least not without giving too much away. If you're curious, I'll expound. I just don't want to spoil anything.

I've never read any King. It sounds like I'd need to be familiar with some of his works.

And even though they sound confusing, I'm pretty sure I'd love them from what I can gather about them. It's just kind of a daunting commitment at this point.
MW03
AG
If you've got a commute, they are really good as audio books. FWIW, I'd never really read any King either before someone put me on the series, other than The Stand.
Sex Panther
AG
I walk to work... takes me 12 minutes
MW03
AG
mhayden
It's official:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/dark-tower-rises-stephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Guess he gets an academy nomination out of this

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.