Does The Sopranos still hold up today?

9,203 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BurnetAggie99
BusterAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Moral relativity is, in my mind, the most important theme in the show. These characters are personable monsters.

My favorite moment in the series is season 3, episode 7, when Carmella is talking to her shrink:

"One thing that you can never say-that you haven't been told"

It's kind of a reminder to the viewer that they are relating to and falling in love with murderous scum and the people who equivocate for them.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms … disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

--Thomas Jefferson
expresswrittenconsent
BusterAg said:

Moral relativity is, in my mind, the most important theme in the show. These characters are personable monsters.

My favorite moment in the series is season 3, episode 7, when Carmella is talking to her shrink:

"One thing that you can never say-that you haven't been told"

It's kind of a reminder to the viewer that they are relating to and falling in love with murderous scum and the people who equivocate for them.

Chase hated it that the audience loved his characters. It's an interesting contrast with someone like Gilligan who made a similarly great show but enjoyed every aspect of fan speculation, adoration, etc.
cupcakesprinkles
AG
I hated the ending ever since it was aired.

Then this year I started watching some episodes here and there and watched the ending again.

The problem with the ending is Chase tried to be too clever. After reading a bunch of articles and breakdowns of the ending it makes perfect sense what happened and what Chase tried to get everyone to "see."
BurnetAggie99
Yea no doubt that the guy who went to the bathroom was the guy who got him
aTmAg
AG
I think you guys are giving Chase far too much credit on having a slick deeper meaning with the ending. Once when asked about what happened to the Russian, he responded, "I don't give a **** about the Russian". He simply doesn't care if there are lose ends.

When answering a question in a Vox interview about whether or not Tony was dead, said "no he isn't". Then when they ran with "Tony is alive!" Chase said he was misunderstood. I think that if they asked him, "Is Tony alive?" He would have blurted out, "no he isn't" too. Sometimes he says stuff like, "whether or not he's dead is not the point."

I think he literally doesn't have an answer. As far as he is concerned, there is no answer and he doesn't know anymore than we do. It's a lose end that he didn't feel like answering and is angry that people keep asking. He's the writer and he's allowed to end it like he wants. That's his attitude at least.
ac04
its hilarious that you take it so personally, like he owes you something. grow up.
aTmAg
AG
He doesn't owe me anything. And we don't owe him adulation either. He's a good writer, but he crapped the bed on the ending.
ac04
yeah, we get it, you didn't like it. how many times are you going to re-state that in the same thread?
aTmAg
AG
I was responding to posts made by others with off screen info they may not have known. I will do that whenever I feel like it.

Sorry you are so butt hurt about it.
ac04
nevermind, i just realized you're the guy from the chernobyl thread. not worth it.
expresswrittenconsent
ac04 said:

nevermind, i just realized you're the guy from the chernobyl thread. not worth it.

Hes also an espionage expert.
Urban Ag
AG
ac04 said:

its hilarious that you take it so personally, like he owes you something. grow up.
Sure but isn't that how this whole board pretty much works? It's littered with man children that take everything personally. I laugh to myself all the time at how seriously people get butt hurt here about differences in opinion.

cupcakesprinkles
AG
Agree.

SPOILERS BELOW FOR THE WIRE AND SOPRANOS IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THEM YET. (I'm not blacking them out)

This article explains in extreme detail what I think happened: https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/1147-2/

Chase is known for setting up big scenes with little clues from previous episodes.

I first noticed it with The Wire (my favorite show of all time) where Kenard says "That's Omar???? Dang."

Then in the next episode he shoots Omar which surprised everyone because he was one of the last people who you would think would get Omar.

Tony and Bobby talking where Bobby says "You don't hear it until it happens, right?":

Look at this scene where Sil is with Gerry when Gerry gets whacked:

Notice how Sil doesn't hear the first gun-shot until a second or two later. Everything just goes silent before he snaps back to reality. He didn't hear it until it happened.

The article I linked above goes into incredible detail and is a long read but it shows how Tony never heard the gun shot. The reason why the screen went black all of a sudden with no noise was because the Members Only guy came out of the bathroom and shot Tony. We were looking through Tony's eyes so when he was shot in the head it was immediately game over and everything was black because he was killed instantly.

Liquid Wrench
It's possible that Chase signed an NDA.
BurnetAggie99
We you know he's working on a Prequel to the Soprano's called The Many Saints of Newark

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/sopranos-film-movie-prequel-the-many-saints-of-newark-cast-news-plot-release-date-characters-a8647271.html%3famp

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.