Guy Ritchie's King Arthur flick

9,336 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BurnetAggie99
Icecream_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
CJS4715 said:

No way this is better than Fuqua's King Arthur... which is one of my favorite "bad movies".
its a great "I need to pass out and golf isnt on TV right now" show.
AliasMan02
AG
This movie is looking to make 14 mil in its opening weekend in the US, and get beat out by that Amy Schumer flick I'd never heard of until last week.
Sex Panther
AG
Guy Ritchie is done. Bummer because Snatch and Lock Stock are both fantastic. But I can't think of a single more disappointing director over the last decade.

Unfortunately, I hope Disney moves on from him with Aladdin. That might be my favorite Disney cartoon.
fig96
AG
Film School Rejects had this at the end of their newsletter yesterday morning...
Quote:

In the event that you're looking to watch a good King Arthur movie this weekend.

AliasMan02
AG
Sex Panther said:

Guy Ritchie is done. Bummer because Snatch and Lock Stock are both fantastic. But I can't think of a single more disappointing director over the last decade.

Unfortunately, I hope Disney moves on from him with Aladdin. That might be my favorite Disney cartoon.

The first Sherlock Holmes and Rock n Rolla are both excellent, but yes. I agree.

Disney has tapped him to direct Aladdin, right?
Icecream_Ag
S
AliasMan02 said:

This movie is looking to make 14 mil in its opening weekend in the US, and get beat out by that Amy Schumer flick I'd never heard of until last week.
I'm likely to see it Tuesday, $10 for ticket and popcorn is the best
20ag07
Ritchie is so anti what is working for the Disney live actions. He is what WB/Universal are trying to do and failing across the board with Snow White and the Huntsman/Tarzan/this, etc. Disney is winning with the Favreau version, which is why he's getting the Lion King as well. And as much I was disappointed in Condon's B&tB, that's what audiences want, not Ritchie's flashy takes. I can't imagine Disney doesn't move on before getting too far on Aladdin, which is easily a high top 10 live action opportunity in their very valuable library.
rhutton125
AG
Agreed - Richie just doesn't work anymore. Just looking at the previews, I can tell it will have two very out of place things.

1) This is a version where everyone is shirtless, buff, bareknuckle brawlers for some reason.

2) There will be a "stylish" moment where maybe Arthur is disarmed, a guy goes to kill him, and Arthur somehow stabs the guy with a hidden knife. How did he get the knife? REWIND! And then you see the fight all over again.

It worked for Snatch, but not much else. Quit trying to be smart, just make a good movie.

And it's a shame - I've been hoping for a definitive live action version but it sounds like we'll have to wait another 10 years for someone else to take a swing at it.
cr0wbar
AG
Well, uh - I took my autistic brother in law to see it on Friday night. I've also seen classics lately such as World of Warcraft and God's of Egypt.

My thoughts:

• I couldn't help but notice that Charlie H. rides a horse the same way he rides a hog (SoA)
  • Is Guy Ritchie movies usually so dialogue intensive? The first hour of the movie was so fast my head was spinning. I honestly felt like I watched two movies worth of content
  • There were so many glaring time/editing/holes in the story I just shrugged them off, too many to type. The editing literally made me dizzy (where are we? Who are these people? How did they know he was gonna do that? etc etc)
  • There were no tits ala 300. That would've at least bumped it up another 1-2 points for me.

Solid 3/10
GiveEmHellBill
AG
This movie came in third on it's opening weekend and barely made more than the Clive Owen/Kiera Knightly movie "King Arthur" made opening weekend.....in 2004. On a reported $175 million budget, this movie will not scratch $50 million domestic. This will certainly make the top 10 list of the biggest bombs in history.

So, I hope to see an announcement sometime this summer that Disney has "creative differences" with Ritchie and will be searching for a new "Aladdin" director. I think he needs to return to his small-time British crime movies.
TyHolden
AG
Just got out and I thought it was great. I haven't seen any other King Arthur movies. Kinda had a 300 feel to it.
Bunk Moreland
DSAg44 said:

Just got out and I thought it was great. I haven't seen any other King Arthur movies. Kinda had a 300 feel to it.

It was that gay, huh?
Icecream_Ag
S
Saw it yesterday. If you haven't seen it, it's a good rainy day, completely caught up on Netflix /DVR mindless movie.
TyHolden
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

DSAg44 said:

It was that gay, huh?

300 is gay? Really? Didn't know this. Grossed 450 million. Not bad for a gay movie.
Sapper Redux
DSAg44 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

DSAg44 said:

It was that gay, huh?

300 is gay? Really? Didn't know this. Grossed 450 million. Not bad for a gay movie.

300 is less about war and more about chiseled abs and pecs. Its uber gay. The blood is just to make you feel okay for having the boner.
Bunk Moreland
TyHolden
AG
Lol - I've never seen that
johnnyblaze36
AG
DSAg44 said:

I just saw it and knew nothing about it going in. Hadn't seen a trailer and didn't even know who was in it.

I thought it was phenomenal and amazed that it has made no money. I never base what I'll go see on the reviews of critics but I left wondering what on earth they didn't like about it.

Great cinematography, special effects, action, and the musical score was tremendous. The acting was solid and the dialog was not cheesy at all.

It definitely had that Guy Ritchie "Snatch" direction feel to it which I thought was cool seeing as it put a totally unique twist on a story that's been recycled many of times.

I did have a tough time at first taking Mayor Carcetti seriously though.

8/10 and highly recommend seeing in the theaters.
Vernada
AG
Quote:

did have a tough time at first taking Mayor Carcetti seriously though.

You mean Littlefinger?
average_joker
AG
This movie has a similar score on RT with both audiences and critics. Yet this one will flop and pirates will somehow thrive. Which is funny because I enjoyed this movie in the theater, and I'll probably get the same mileage out of pirates too.
VanZandt92
As somebody who cares about costuming and at least some relative accuracy I couldn't get past that for those movie. I know there is artistic license and it's fiction, but it gets to be a bit much.
Agnzona
Me and the wife saw it and both loved it. I am a huge GOTG fan and liked this even more. I can't see Pirates being this good. Most likely going to be my favorite big budget film of the summer. It helped I had no expectations going in, also glad I didn't read this thread beforehand.
YouBet
AG
Watched last night and thought this movie was pretty kick-ass. I did not like the one typical Ritchie scene where he inserted the "almost too hard to keep up REWIND! story telling thing" but at the same time he worked in a self deprecating opinion on using this style as part of the scene...so I appreciated that.

Massive bonus points for the nod to Frank Frazettas Death Dealer as Jude Laws baddie persona. Coolest looking character in this genre in a long time. Felt a little video gamish for the final fight scene but that's probably because I've played a lot of Witcher 3 lately and the graphics are on par with Hollywood now.
BurnetAggie99
Thought it was pretty good movie. To bad the sequel has been postponed due to the flop at the theater. A lot of places to go after the movie ended like it did.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.