Dresden Files discussion thread

8,859 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Swarely
SQXVI
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Recently started reading these books last Thursday and blew through the first two over the weekend. I normally don't like to read books under 800 pages or so, but there are so many of these the individual books themselves almost work as chapters in a larger saga. I'm currently about 50 pages into Grave Peril.

SPOILERS******

I really do love these books but have heard the first two are by far the weakest and that Butcher really hits his stride in the third and fourth books and the remainder are awesome. While I thoroughly enjoyed the first two; I can see why people say that. I cant count how many times Dresden was in an impossible situation and managed to find a way out (although the solution never quite was as blatant as a 'deus ex machina' it was very close each time) Also, it seemed like Dresden was literally exhausted, unable to move or do anything yet found the "last little bit" of effort and managed to save the day before passing out and being taken care of by a sexy yet stern female. I also got tired of how constantly broke he is, i mean he's completely broke; doesn't have enough money for a burger or a meal at a pub. A little tiring at some times, but still pretty awesome.

On a side note; who would you cast in a dresden major motion picture? Here is how I picture them:

Dresden: Michael C. Hall with dark hair
Susan Rodriguez: Rosario Dawson
Gentlemen Johnny Marcone: Eric Roberts
Lt. Murphy: Julie Bowen
Michael Carpenter: Jeffrey Dean Morgan
Bob (voice): Paul Giametti
Lydia: Krysten Ritter
Victor Sells: Crispin Glover
Those are the only major characters I know of right now
Knife_Party
Scifi ran this as a series for one season. It was really good. So they cancelled it.
Dro07
AG
quote:
Scifi ran this as a series for one season. It was really good. So they cancelled it.
No kidding
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Dresden is the cop on arrow with the two daughters.

I always claim this is Harry Potter for adults. What I really like it how Butcher weaves the fairy world ( I don't think you have seen a lot of this) with the "biblical" one and doesn't actually disrespect the bible in doing it. The knights of the Cross are the best. I also don't think you have met any vampires yet and the complexity he puts into the world is what I really like.
SQXVI
AG
quote:
Dresden is the cop on arrow with the two daughters.

I always claim this is Harry Potter for adults. What I really like it how Butcher weaves the fairy world ( I don't think you have seen a lot of this) with the "biblical" one and doesn't actually disrespect the bible in doing it. The knights of the Cross are the best. I also don't think you have met any vampires yet and the complexity he puts into the world is what I really like.
yep, I love Michael so far, but he's the only one I met. I believe I've met one Vampire; but only the one who owns the brothel.
getme
Just a heads up, I love this series, but you will suffer Dresden burn out if you try to plow through the entire series one after another. Take a break in between books if you can stand to do it.
OCEN99
AG
And when you get caught up on Dresden, there are seven Iron Druid books waiting for you.
bigjohn1
AG
+1 on the take a break in between. I will normally read a book or two of Dresden, then read something else (working through Honor Harrington series right now in parallel). I am currently reading "Death Masks", book 5 in the series.

Also, highly recommend the Iron Druid series, as well. A couple of good series to bounce back and forth between.
LawAg05
AG
If you like the early books, you will LOVE his later stuff. Starting at Changes the series really hits a stride and becomes a page turner. Butcher becomes a pretty good writer about halfway through the series and never loses the pithy dialogue that makes Dresden so enjoyable.

quote:
"Nay, but prithee, with sprinkles 'pon it instead," I said solemnly, "and frosting of white."
Rocag
AG
The audiobooks are great as well. They're narrated by James Marsters who played Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer (don't worry about the Spike accent, that was fake) and he does an amazing job.

And yeah, Harry does get beat up a lot. That doesn't really stop.
jlb2957
AG
1. Dresden is pretty much always poor... get used to it.

2. The stronger/more powerful Dresden gets... the strong his enemies are. So he gets his ass handed to him in most books; though he does go all out a couple of times.

3. Michael Carpenter is a badass and is in many of the books... love this character.

4. The Dresden Files show was complete horse****.

Butcher hits his stride in Grave Peril, imo. Do understand that the books are kind of formulaic by following a similar pattern. However, this never really gets old as each book up until about book 10 is introducing you to more and more of the magic and world of Jim Butcher's books. You haven't even touched on the vampire courts, the rest of the Knights of the Cross, the summer and winter courts of the Sidh, or the denarians.

You have SO MANY twists and turns ahead of you, and i am jealous you get to experience them for the first time. I was one who marathoned through 14 straight when I read them for the first time and never got burned out. after about book 5, I was reading them non stop and loved that I could finish one and move right on to the next.

The great thing? Changes and Cold Days are the best of the series, and you aren't even close to those yet.
jlb2957
AG

quote:
"Nay, but prithee, with sprinkles 'pon it instead," I said solemnly, "and frosting of white."

ROFL. Love Harry Dresden.

Seriously, the best part about the Dresden Files for me is Harry Dresden and his snarkiness (is that a word). He is just hilarious and a great character.

Some of my favorites (no spoilers)
quote:
"We are not going to die."

Butters stared up at me, pale, his eyes terrified. "We're not?"

"No. And do you know why?" He shook his head. "Because --------- is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die." I hauled on the shirt even harder. "And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and polka will never die."
quote:
The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.
quote:
I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.
quote:
"I have nightmares about hell, where all I do is add up numbers and try to have conversations with people like you."
And then one that isn't really funny but that sums up Harry to a 'T':
quote:
"They say you can know a man by his enemies, Dresden." He smiled, and laughter lurked beneath his next words, never quite surfacing. "You defy beings that should cow you into silence. You resist forces that are inevitable for no more reason than that you believe they should be resisted. You bow your head to neither demons nor angels, and you put yourself in harm's way to defend those who cannot defend themselves." He nodded slowly. "I think I like you."
Knife_Party
Just finished Storm Front. It was a quick and easy read. Very enjoyable.
wesag
AG
quote:

Dang.
Madmarttigan
AG
I just restarted these (originally read 4-5 books) and I'm on Summer Knight now. It was a long time ago so I feel like I'm reading through them again for the first time again and it is still very enjoyable. I love the dynamic between him and Michael, hope they get a lot of time together as sidekicks.
SQXVI
AG
I'm on book 8 and these are some of the best I've ever read, excited there are still 7 left to read.
jlb2957
AG
quote:
I just restarted these (originally read 4-5 books) and I'm on Summer Knight now. It was a long time ago so I feel like I'm reading through them again for the first time again and it is still very enjoyable. I love the dynamic between him and Michael, hope they get a lot of time together as sidekicks.
Michael is in probably 5 or 6 of the books, if I remember correctly. There is one scene in a later book that is just downright BAD. ****ING. ASS.

quote:
I'm on book 8 and these are some of the best I've ever read, excited there are still 7 left to read.
Changes and Cold Days, dude... Changes and Cold Days...

He does seriously hit a stride somewhere in the middle where you eat them up like candy. Every book is awesome and he is at a level unmatched by any other urban fantasy writer I have ever read or heard about.

I've been doing the audio books and it is a fun change of pace. I rushed through them the first time and the audio books slow everything down for me. It's also a great way to spend my lunches everyday.
SQXVI
AG
Up to book 8 spoiler*********

Love this series, one of the best I've read but I have two main beefs so far.

1. Every chick dresden meets is the sexiest thing ever, and all have amazing racks and curves. I posit Jim butcher might have been a dungeon and dragons style nerd in his younger days and fantasized a bit about a wizard who gets all the women.

2. I really don't like charity carpenter, Michael carpenter is probably my favorite minor character, but I can't stand his wife. We all know she aggressively doesn't like Dresden, but it still made no sense when she decked him when Molly came out of the shower at dresden's hotel, AFTER he called charity to come.

jlb2957
AG
quote:
Love this series, one of the best I've read but I have two main beefs so far.

1. Every chick dresden meets is the sexiest thing ever, and all have amazing racks and curves. I posit Jim butcher might have been a dungeon and dragons style nerd in his younger days and fantasized a bit about a wizard who gets all the women.

***Potential Spoiler***

2. I really don't like charity carpenter, Michael carpenter is probably my favorite minor character, but I can't stand his wife. We all know she aggressively doesn't like Dresden, but it still made no sense when she decked him when Molly came out of the shower at dresden's hotel, AFTER he called charity to come.
1. I have never had an issue with this because: (1) This is a series that is supposed to have the feeling of a Noir film/book and that is just how they are; and (2) most of the women Harry meets are supernatural. Why would a supernatural being be an uggo?

2. Charity is a bit of a ***** to Harry, but she does have her reasons. She isn't in the series near enough for it to be a problem for me.
Knife_Party
Hot fictional chicks.
bearamedic99
AG
The TV show was fun but only loosely based on the book. Too much was different that kept it distracting for me i.e. blue beetle was a jeep, wizards staff was a hockey stick, Murphy was nothing like herself, etc.
bearamedic99
AG
And Charity is cool. Someday JB should do the story of Michael rescuing Charity and their early relationship.
jlb2957
AG
I would love a short story about Michael slaying the dragon.
SQXVI
AG
quote:
And Charity is cool. Someday JB should do the story of Michael rescuing Charity and their early relationship.

Spoilers###########

Right after I wrote that I got to the part where you find out why she's been such a ***** to him... It makes more sense now.
SQXVI
AG
******SPOILERS*******

wow, just go to the part of Ghost Story where he harry leads the ghosts into the nevernever to assault the Corpsetaker's HQ and it's right out of saving private ryan...awesome
LawAg05
AG
***SPOILERS***

While we are talking about memorable moments, how about 1) getting shot out of a makeshift cannon while making out with a chick inside his force-bubble and 2) riding the Undead T-Rex into battle with Corpsetaker.

'Nay, but prithee, with sprinkles 'pon it instead, I said solemnly, and frosting of white.'
SQXVI
AG
quote:
***SPOILERS***

While we are talking about memorable moments, how about 1) getting shot out of a makeshift cannon while making out with a chick inside his force-bubble and 2) riding the Undead T-Rex into battle with Corpsetaker.

'Nay, but prithee, with sprinkles 'pon it instead, I said solemnly, and frosting of white.'
Riding the undead T-rex was one of the craziest parts of the story, what was even crazier is that it was actually fairly believable and not contrived in the least.

Very sad that I've only got this book and two books after it even though I hear Cold Days (the next one) is one of the best.

I'm going to need another long series after this one, maybe tackle the Iron Druid series OR actually try and re-read the whole WoT series, I stopped after 6 the last go around but I love all of sanderson's work so I might try and muddle through the middle books just to get to the end.
Clem
To tag on what jlb said about the noir feel, Dresden is playing the down-on-his-luck private detective that can never put his financial needs ahead of his need to help others, especially beautiful dames.

You'll also notice that he has plenty of suave and clever lines for all those beautiful women, but has trouble closing the deal. If you listened to some Old Time Radio detective shows, you see this is right in character with the late 40's, early 50's noir private dick. Dresdens descriptions of the women read like mid-century descriptions of those noir women, but using modern slang instead.

I think it is pretty clear that Butcher is a former D&D guy, but he must have some pretty healthy knowledge of Old Time Radio as well. He weaves that kind of dialogue into his books so dang well. One of my favorite all-time writers.

It is also refreshing to see a fantasy writer still retain so much respect for Christianity as well.
Karrde
AG
Yup. The Knights of the Cross are all amazing, each in their own way.
bearamedic99
AG
I tried the first Iron Druid book. I don't think I made it 20 pages before giving up.
LawAg05
AG
If you are looking for a new series and like butcher, check out this thread. Lots of good recommendations. I've been using it as a to-read list of sorts and it hasn't let me down yet.
http://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2548602/1

SQXVI
AG
quote:
If you are looking for a new series and like butcher, check out this thread. Lots of good recommendations. I've been using it as a to-read list of sorts and it hasn't let me down yet.
http://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2548602/1

Haha, that was a thread started, I think I've read all those books
LawAg05
AG
Ha, yea I just noticed that after I linked it. Still, good thread as I picked up a few books I hadn't read yet.
SQXVI
AG
Have you read the codex alera also by dresden? I might hit those next.
jlb2957
AG
Codex Alera is great.

Starts out a little slow but picks up in the second half o book 1 and just gets better as the series goes on. Some great twists as well.

A smart-cracking wizard PI riding a zombie Trex through the streets of Chicago on halloween night to stop a group of necromancers from gaining enough power to destroy the world whilst a Jewish medical examiner plays polka music on the dinosaur's back is probably the best scene I have ever read.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.