Name the Best Scene in Film and TV

32,647 Views | 238 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by VanZandt92
HtownAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
It really wasn't original.
Have to disagree on this one. Goodfellas was the first (or at least best) film to break away from the mythical, glamorous, heroic depiction of gangsters and gang life (see e.g. Corleone, Vito) and show the dirty, degrading underbelly of the mafia. It's not all tuxedos, sit-downs among bosses to discuss territory, political influence, etc. It is doing whatever you can to "earn", such as steeling, hijacking, selling knock-off clothing, running scams for insurance money. Sometimes you have to live with your parents or in-laws in suburbia. It gave realism to the mob that previous movies had not. It was original in that respect.
wesag
AG
quote:
quote:
It really wasn't original.
Have to disagree on this one. Goodfellas was the first (or at least best) film to break away from the mythical, glamorous, heroic depiction of gangsters and gang life (see e.g. Corleone, Vito) and show the dirty, degrading underbelly of the mafia. It's not all tuxedos, sit-downs among bosses to discuss territory, political influence, etc. It is doing whatever you can to "earn", such as steeling, hijacking, selling knock-off clothing, running scams for insurance money. Sometimes you have to live with your parents or in-laws in suburbia. It gave realism to the mob that previous movies had not. It was original in that respect.
A. THere is nothing realistic about it.

B. You dont think there had been mob movies that showed the underbelly? Once upon a time in america comes to mind. Hell, any number of crime movies come to mind.

C. If anything, Goodfellas was on the tail end of a number of good mob movies. It just had better violence and young males like that, along with silly contrived dialogue while said violence is occuring.
ac04
goodfellas is arguably the best mafia movie of all time, but that debate probably needs its own thread instead of hi-jacking this one
Sex Panther
AG
Goodfellas is amazing
HtownAg92
AG
quote:
A. THere is nothing realistic about it.
It is based on the biography of Henry Hill. The Lufthansa heist and many of the scenes of "contrived" violence (such as the murder of Billy Batts) are historical, verifiable events. Every character in the movie is a real-life gangster. But for the changing of some last names (Burke to Conway) and blurring Paulie's status (he was a capo, not the boss, but he was Henry and Tommy's boss), it is based on true events.

Read Wiseguys and Donnie Brasco to get a picture of the life of low-level "connected" but not made gangsters. Goodfellas was a pretty spot-on depiction.

malenurse
AG
Let's get back on track:

One scene guaranteed to get me misty eyed is the end of Field of Dreams when he realizes the catcher is his dad.

One scene that always gives me goose bumps is from The Man from Snowy River when Jim Craig jumps off the cliff to follow the mob of horses.
EllisCoAg
AG
Funeral scene in "Steel Magnolias"
wesag
AG
quote:
Almost any scene in Glengarry Glen Ross is perfectly cast and performed.
I just remember Glengarry being an obscenity-o-thon.
wesag
AG
Goodfellas - taking things where they'd been numerous times, with funnier lines.

But when I was about 21, yeah, I thought it was a cool movie. Less hormones, and I discovered it wasn't so great.
wesag
AG
quote:
2001 a space odyssey - shutting down Hal

yep.
wesag
AG
quote:
If the scene doesn't have the line "you can't handle the truth" then it isn't the best scene period
I'd agree that Jack Nicholson must be in there, but this scene isn't even in Nicholson's top ten.

Easy Rider - any scene.
One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest

That scene where he orders the sandwich - can't remember the movie right now.
wesag
AG
quote:
Probably have to go with Schindler's list (multiple scenes in that movie would qualify) but as runner ups I would probably consider:

or

or

Post of the Day, not because of Schindler's List, but the other two depictions Planet of the Apes and Deer Hunter. End of thread.
wesag
AG

LawAg05
AG
quote:
How did we forget:

Way of the Gun

Never realized that was Sarah Silverman.
wesag
AG
wesag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep, wesag definitely has an unhealthy obsession with Jack Nicholson.
wesag
AG
wesag
AG

All day long over Good fellas
wesag
AG
wesag
AG
maybe not the best scene of this movie, but hey, RIP:

wesag
AG

best scene or scenery. The latter goes with this movie.
wesag
AG
wesag
AG
Lots of great scenes in this one:

wesag
AG
wesag
AG

Right here dude.

wesag
AG
Oh and as you get older, Matrix gets worse, while Star Wars gets better, or at least holds its own.
wesag
AG
Not this part of the movie, but the part where they are having the dialogue about the WW II ship.

Great dialogue:

wesag
AG
I , state your name.

wesag
AG
This entire party scene kicks Goodfellas ass:

wesag
AG
wesag
AG
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:
How did we forget:

Way of the Gun

Never realized that was Sarah Silverman.

Any scene that involves beating the **** out of Sarah Silverman is a great one
AgPediRPh
AG
quote:
THere is nothing realistic about it.

Henry Hill and Jimmy Burke were real people. "Goodfellas" was used because the name of the biography "Wiseguy" was already being used in a TV show
wesag
AG
quote:
quote:
THere is nothing realistic about it.

Henry Hill and Jimmy Burke were real people. "Goodfellas" was used because the name of the biography "Wiseguy" was already being used in a TV show

Yeah i'm sure they didn't take liberties.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.