WHIPLASH Is an Explosive, Riveting Masterpiece

35,367 Views | 211 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by MSFC Aggie
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Despite their efforts, no studio-driven, effects-laden blockbuster this year comes close to accomplishing what Whiplash expertly achieves - on a paltry $3 million dollar budget - in terms of sheer, visceral, edge-of-your-seat thrills and suspense. Whiplash is an absolute masterpiece - a remarkable, electrifying achievement - and at this point, may very well be my favorite movie of the year. The fact that it's from a relatively unknown 29-year-old writer-director - Damien Chazelle - is even more of a shocker, and still has my head spinning.

Miles Teller plays Andrew Neyman, "a promising, 19-year-old drummer enrolled at a cutthroat music conservatory where his dreams of greatness are mentored by an instructor who will stop at nothing to realize a student's potential." Andrew is dead set on becoming "one of the greats," at any cost. Both the lock and key to Andrew realizing that dream is Terence Fletcher, the school's callous, bloodcurdling instructor, and I can only echo what has already been stated countless times since the film's Sundance premier: J.K. Simmons is an absolute revelation in the role, bringing to screen one of the most terrifying, manipulative movie b*stards in years. The brutal, homophobic mockery and mind games Fletcher employs make for such a frightening, memorable character, you can't help but laugh nervously, when not completely terrified of what he'll do next. Really, Simmons knocks the role out of the park, and I don't care who makes their case between now and then, there's no way he isn't nominated for an Oscar come January.

Miles Teller too, is phenomenal. A drummer since he was a kid, Teller sells the role with charm, earnestness, and can't-be-faked skill. Watching his performance, I was actually reminded of The Matrix (of all things) and how the Wachowskis put their actors through months of physical training so the audience could actually see Keanu Reeves or Laurence Fishburne or Hugo Weaving - and not their stunt doubles - performing the fights in glorious, non-shaky-cam wide shots. In the current era of extreme close-ups and rapid-fire edits, I can not emphasize enough how exhilarating it is to watch the star of a movie masterfully execute the skill at which his or her character is said to be an expert, shot with a camera that actually lets us observe and appreciate the skill at hand. That believability is one of the last, great "special effects" capable of producing genuine awe, and this film has it in spades with Teller. Granted, a professional drummer is no doubt utilized for certain insert shots, but they're so subtle, and only used when absolutely necessary. Chazelle isn't trying to mask anything here, and the way he captures Teller's jaw-dropping performance invaluably heightens an already intensely compelling experience.

Sure, at just under two hours, Whiplash could have used another 10 minutes or so to flesh out the girlfriend or father-son B-plots just a bit. But that raw, laser-focused narrative - streamlined to within an inch of its life - couldn't match the film's themes any better. The same double-time rhythm Fletcher savagely demands of his students seems to be demanded of the movie itself, and, like Andrew, is potentially better for it. This is a film that examines the cost of perfection, which, for Andrew, may be everything. For us, it's simply the price of a movie ticket.

There's a sequence at the end - the film's climactic showdown between master and protege - that is such a perfect, shining example of why I go to the movies. It's moments like these why I, or any other frequent movie-goer, trudge through all the crap; in hopes of achieving this kind of high, if only every so often. Without giving anything away, the literal beat this film ends on elicited an audible roar from the audience, not unlike the roar at the end of a concert as the band plays that final, triumphant note. Whiplash builds in much the same way, with thrilling, dynamic energy, and then delivers that often-sought high in dazzling, show-stopping triumph. Truly, I don't know that I've ever been more confident in a recommendation. See this movie. You won't be disappointed.

From Sony Pictures Classics, Whiplash hit theaters in New York and Los Angeles this past weekend, and starts expanding next weekend all the way through early next year (check the release rollout here).

TPL / 'Whiplash' Is an Explosive, Riveting Masterpiece

YouTube / "Whiplash" - Official Trailer

bigjohn1
AG
I am so looking forward to seeing this film!

I have been following the press since it debuted at the film festivals, and I am waiting for it to open near me in Dallas. J.K. SImmons is an outstanding actor that I think is underappreciated - and he looks brilliant in the clips and trailers that I have seen for this movie.

I also love that Miles Teller actually plays drums and was able to perform most of his own scenes, as you mentioned.

This has Oscar written all over it for me.
TCTTS
AG
Looks like it hits Dallas on October 24.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Been dying to see it since I saw the trailer a month or so ago.
MROD92
Excellent!!
TCTTS
AG
Just a reminder that Whiplash hits Dallas, Plano, and Houston tomorrow. Looking forward to reading some reactions.
LHIOB
AG
JK Simmons will always be Leonard Stiltskin, Hollywood producer and grade A a**hole so this sounds like the perfect role for him.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I checked for showtimes and I didn't see anything in Dallas. Only saw it at the Angelika in Plano. I may have to drive over there one day next week and do a double feature with that and Birdman since I didn't see that playing anywhere else in the Metroplex next week either.
TCTTS
AG
Says it's playing at the Magnolia Theater in Dallas starting tomorrow. There's a link at the end of my OP.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Hmm. They must not be on Flixster.
Sex Panther
AG
Man, this movie is so good. I never thought I would be on the edge of my seat watching a guy play drums. The final scene is seriously epic. There's one part where the camera keeps panning back and forth between Teller and Simmons... absolutely amazing.

Both of these guys are shoe-ins for Oscar noms. They're both incredible.

***** Spoiler Alert *****

I really don't know how I felt about the ending though. When Andrew comes back and goes insane on the drums showing up Fletcher in the process, you're so pumped for him. Watching Fletcher lose his control and seeing the rage in his eyes, then Andrew adds the cymbal to the face... it was so, so satisfying.

However once Fletcher realizes what's going on and the transcendence that's taking place, it's almost unnerving seeing him go along with it. You just feel that yes, Andrew is writing the first chapter in his legend. He is indeed the next "Bird," but now Fletcher is going to get credit for it... And yes he did create Andrew and in a twisted way brought out his greatness, but he was still trying to ruin him and destroy him with that absolutely cruel set up. He wasn't trying to make him better, the way you could argue he was doing before.

I just hated that last glimpse between the two and seeing Andrew's joy of having his approval... It honestly made me upset. But I don't know if it should've ended any other way.

Thoughts? TC? Others?
TCTTS
AG
So great to hear. I haven't talked to a single other person who's seen this yet - no one I know believes a movie about a jazz drummer is THIS good - so it's nice to know I'm not overhyping it, outside of all the critical reactions.

As for the end - *** SPOILERS *** - I know exactly how you're feeling. I felt the same way. That said, I love that conundrum. For most people, being "one of the greats" isn't worth giving up basically everything else in life and making a deal with the devil, so to speak. But for Andrew, it's absolutely worth it. That final beat is a triumphant one, but also has that unsettling, cautionary undertone, and you're left asking yourself if you'd be willing to make those same sacrifices. Overall, it's just such a cool/exciting way of basically saying that being great comes at a cost, and I just love how that message is delivered.
TCTTS
AG
But yeah, overall, that final sequence is better than any superhero dual we've seen in years. It's just electrifying.
TCTTS
AG
I'm also really hoping this is out wide by Thanksgiving. I want to take my entire family to see it.
Sex Panther
AG
Agreed... Like I said, the ending was great but a little upsetting, because it needed to be. That's Andrew's decision.

quote:
But yeah, overall, that final sequence is better than any superhero dual we've seen in years. It's just electrifying.

Ha, I actually thought this exact. same. thing.

This tiny little indie film's final scene, is a showdown that takes place on a stage with a guy playing drums while his nemesis conducts him... and it was 100x more intense then watching Superman and Zod destroy New York. Really, really amazing.
TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
Anyone else happen to see it this weekend?
TajMaballer
AG
Wow, must have missed this thread somehow.. Saw it last week and loved it! I was literally at the edge of my seat for the final scene. JK Simmons will forever haunt me.
TCTTS
Know Your Enemy
AG
Just got out of the theater. Holy ****, I loved this movie. Will re-read this thread and post more later when I get home.
TCTTS
AG
Great to hear.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I will be pissed if Simmons is not nominated for an Oscar and I'll be shocked if I see a performance better than that between now and nomination time. Dude was NAILS. I hated him and loved him at the same time. Fletcher truly lived his life for the betterment of the music and nothing else.

*****POTENTIAL SPOILERS*****

I love the way it ended. Sure Fletcher was trying to destroy Andrew but was won over when the kid fought back and showed him up on stage in front of everyone. He saw something special in him from the very beginning and was trying, literally at one point, to smack it out of him. It took embarrassment in front of an audience to get the kid to respond the way he wanted. Just like how Bird was "born" when the cymbal was thrown at his head.

*****END SPOILERS*****
pb488
AG
loved this movie. go out and watch it.
scoop12
AG
Just watched this movie and thought it was great. J.K. Simmons was fantastic and Miles Teller was impressive as well. I loved and hated both characters during different parts of it and the ending was insanely intense. One scene stuck out to me the most with Fletcher (J.K. Simmons' character)

SPOILER:

The scene where he spoke to the band after he received the news that his former student had died. On the one hand, you can absolutely tell that Fletcher has legitimate grief and you feel for him that he's lost someone that he cares so much about. He obviously is clearly proud of Sean Casey's accomplishments. However, he was also using that story to his benefit to inspire his students to rise up and reach their potential. Dissecting that scene again knowing what we know later on (that Sean Casey killed himself rather than died in a car accident), he was using this incredibly tragic event, that Fletchers' mental abuse in large part contributed to, to his own benefit as a way of inspiration to his students. He's even gloating about his part in making Casey such a successful musician.

The things you love about the character (his love for the music and for striving to be the best) and what you hate about the character (that he's a grade A a**) can all be seen in that one scene and J.K. Simmons played it perfectly.
cr0wbar
AG
Need to go see this!
Sex Panther
AG
Great analysis Scoop... agree with you 100%.
chris93
AG
Saw this last night. Great movie.
Max Power
AG
Finally got around to seeing this one today, wow. I was intrigued by this film the first time I saw the trailer, but I had no idea I was going to love this movie as much as I do.

This is the best film I've seen this year. I was pretty sure nothing was going to top Boyhood for me, but I was wrong.

It's hard to relay to your friends that they should go see a movie about a guy playing drums in jazz band. It's not even the story that I'm so enamored with, it's the acting of Miles Teller and more importantly JK Simmons. Simmons has been around forever but holy **** he killed it in this one, really hope he gets the oscar.

**Spoiler Alert**

As it's already been stated the final scene in this one is basically perfect, it's so good and so powerful with very few words being said.

This film just reaffirms why I love movies.
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
This film just reaffirms why I love movies.
MosesHallEnforcer
AG
Finally got around to seeing this, and it exceeded my already lofty expectations. Absolutely riveting, exciting, hilarious, and raw.

*************Spoiler*************

I really enjoyed the scene at the dinner table where the family tried to marginalize him, and he started talking **** to the football players. The line about the NFL, I almost died laughing and couldn't stop well into the next scene. I did wish they had more directly acknowledged the wreck, and him crawling out of the car and running to go make the competition.
MadDog99
AG
Just finished watching it. Just awesome, Simmons was unbelievable.
bigblackag12
AG
Is it coming to Austin area theaters?
MaroonStain
AG
Thought I saw it listed at the Violet Crown.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Is it coming to Austin area theaters?
Already there, and has been.

If there's ever a movie that isn't showing everywhere, expect to find it at Arbor @ Great Hills.

That theater basically served as its own character in my life story growing up.

Wish I could get to Austin soon because CS apparently still won't have this any time soon and I really want to see it.
bigblackag12
AG
Thanks bunk

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.