Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,886,458 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
Dekker_Lentz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Malachi Constant said:

They should go 500 years into the future and tell more stories with cool lightsabers

I agree. Or just tell different stories.

Or 1000 years in the past.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
veryfuller said:

I mean, I think the BETTER idea is to just move on from telling stories of the same characters and create new, compelling characters to follow. But that isn't IP 101 so \_()_/
To be fair, Andor is a relatively new character with only one movie appearance. I think that's a good start for focus on new characters.
bluefire579
AG
io9 made a ranking of all the Jedi in the Geonosis arena battle based on their performances in the fight:

https://gizmodo.com/attack-of-the-clones-geonosis-arena-jedi-ranked-1848923034
Texas Ag 15
AG
Has there been confirmation of flashbacks with Anakin and Obi-Wan prior to him becoming Vader or is that still just rumors? Hoping there will be some flashbacks so we can see Hayden be Anakin in his prime again..
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

veryfuller said:

I mean, I think the BETTER idea is to just move on from telling stories of the same characters and create new, compelling characters to follow. But that isn't IP 101 so \_()_/
To be fair, Andor is a relatively new character with only one movie appearance. I think that's a good start for focus on new characters.

He also died in that one appearance. Therefore, He can't die in his show so the audience can never feel he is in jeopardy, he can't leave the rebellion, he doesn't have any real emotional arc left.

I liked Andor and I am going to watch the show, but his character can't really be developed any further than what we saw in Rogue One. Maybe we get some better details, but he can't really change. We also no he will murder/lie/cheat for the Rebellion and gets burned out/jaded from doing it. So nothing he does will be that shocking.

Sure it will be fun watching the Rebellion grow and he will be a decent character to see the rebellion grow. But they could have made a new character to watch the same events and we would have some mystery as to their Journey.

No matter what Andor does on his show, he will die on Scarif making the ultimate sacrifice for the Rebellion.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
On the other hand, it can also make his death all the more impactful.
fig96
AG
Not sure why this popped up today but worth posting (apologies if it's already been posted but didn't see it in a quick skim):

redline248
AG
bluefire579 said:

io9 made a ranking of all the Jedi in the Geonosis arena battle based on their performances in the fight:

https://gizmodo.com/attack-of-the-clones-geonosis-arena-jedi-ranked-1848923034
lol
Quote:

I'm sorry, Agen Kolar's Padawan, but if this is your default picture on Wookieepedia, odds are you didn't do that great.
double aught
AG
fig96 said:

Not sure why this popped up today but worth posting (apologies if it's already been posted but didn't see it in a quick skim):

Was some studio big shot trying to blame the box office on Alden?
MGS
Dekker_Lentz said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

veryfuller said:

He also died in that one appearance. Therefore, He can't die in his show so the audience can never feel he is in jeopardy, he can't leave the rebellion, he doesn't have any real emotional arc left.

I liked Andor and I am going to watch the show, but his character can't really be developed any further than what we saw in Rogue One. Maybe we get some better details, but he can't really change. We also no he will murder/lie/cheat for the Rebellion and gets burned out/jaded from doing it. So nothing he does will be that shocking.

Sure it will be fun watching the Rebellion grow and he will be a decent character to see the rebellion grow. But they could have made a new character to watch the same events and we would have some mystery as to their Journey.

No matter what Andor does on his show, he will die on Scarif making the ultimate sacrifice for the Rebellion.
I would like to point out that Obi-Wan Kenobi also died in his first movie appearance.
twilly
AG
The Vanity Fair article was certainly trying to make it look like Kathleen Kennedy said it was to blame.

Red Five
AG
MGS said:

Dekker_Lentz said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

veryfuller said:

I would like to point out that Obi-Wan Kenobi also died in his first movie appearance.
I'm not agreeing with him about Andor or any of that stuff, but to be fair a common criticism of the prequels is that you already know the end point of all the major characters.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The guy Jango shoots is almost as worthless as Kit Fisto and the redshirt that Palps kills in about 2 seconds flat in ROTS.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MGS said:

Dekker_Lentz said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

veryfuller said:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Did hello get perma'd? He's been suspiciously absent.
TCTTS
AG
Taking a break until Obi-Wan debuts next week.
cbr
AG
no one was going to follow ford very well as solo, but they should have at least tried to find someone close and with SOME charisma.

i know its hard these days, but that was an epic fail.

canadiaggie
AG
cbr said:

no one was going to follow ford very well as solo, but they should have at least tried to find someone close and with SOME charisma.

Ehrenreich was forgettable but boy did Donald Glover nail his portrayal of young Lando.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
MGS said:

Dekker_Lentz said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

veryfuller said:

Exactly, I am looking forward to Kenobi, but are we really going to learn anything new about his character? He feels bad about failing Anakin, he is watching over Luke until ANH starts the action.

Kenobi from the trailer looks to be about watching the Sith hunt down the Jedi. I think watching that show from the Sith Inquisitors perspective would be more interesting.

We know Obi Wan can't die and that whatever conflict between him and Vader will end with neither falling.

I am not trying to be provocative but just pointing out the dramatic stakes as it relates to Kenobi and Andor are pretty low. With a truly new character there can be higher dramatic stakes.

Also, Rogue One did a pretty good job of making his death impactful.

Contrast with Ashoka and Mondo, it feels almost anything can happen to those characters which makes them more interesting.

Edit: Quick point Kenobi's apparent win Empire and Jedi was to further Luke's plot. And as. Opted above Ep. 1-3 was to further Anakin's plot. We learned he was a brave warrior who believed he failed Anakin and felt he needed to atone for his sins. Which we already learned in ANH.
AliasMan02
AG
Just saw video of the Vanity Fair shoot and all the characters were actually there on set to shoot. It never even occurred to me that would be the case. I figured there would be some photoshop magic.
Ulrich
Someday you people are going to get fully on board with my rage-b****ing about how almost everything in Star Wars since 1999 is looking backwards.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Just saw video of the Vanity Fair shoot and all the characters were actually there on set to shoot. It never even occurred to me that would be the case. I figured there would be some photoshop magic.

I will say that was pretty cool. Sorry if was too aggressive. I just want some good Star Wars content and I am looking forward to the new shows.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Textless
Farmer1906
AG
canadiaggie said:

cbr said:

Ehrenreich was forgettable but boy did Donald Glover nail his portrayal of young Lando.
Maybe it was my expectations going into it, but I thought Donald just did okay while Ehrenreich probably about as good as you were going to get without deaging Harrison Ford himself. He nailed so many mannerisms.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Farmer1906 said:

canadiaggie said:

cbr said:

Maybe it was my expectations going into it, but I thought Donald just did okay while Ehrenreich probably about as good as you were going to get without deaging Harrison Ford himself. He nailed so many mannerisms.
Agreed about Ehrenreich. Thought he did a damn fine job. I mean, look at who's shoes he was stepping into. I submit there are very few, if any, actors who could nail that job.

Glover did great as Lando IMO.
#FJB
The Collective
AG
Glover felt like an impersonation of Lando, and I noticed it in all of his scenes. I found myself just accepting Ehrenreich as Han. It was the exact opposite of what I expected going into the movie.
Duncan Idaho
I Have Spoken said:

Glover felt like an impersonation of Lando, and I noticed it in all of his scenes. I found myself just accepting Ehrenreich as Han. It was the exact opposite of what I expected going into the movie.

Same same.

It is really a shame this movie didn't get more love. Sure it was a little on the nose with how manu call backs/origins they tried to fit in but it was a fun movie with some interesting characters.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

Part of what is funny to me is the big push is based on three characters who are already dead?

Kenobi/Vader/Andor

I don't want to be too much of a wet blanket, but do we need to learn anything more about these characters? I am excited about Kenobi and look forward to Ewan, but I also don't feel like I need to learn anything more about the character.

And it seems like they are really refusing to address post-Rise of Skywalker Star Wars which they will have to do sometime.

The continued churning of the nostalgia part of Star Wars is wearing thin.
Technically, all the characters in Star Wars are already dead
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Dekker_Lentz said:

Part of what is funny to me is the big push is based on three characters who are already dead?

Kenobi/Vader/Andor

I don't want to be too much of a wet blanket, but do we need to learn anything more about these characters? I am excited about Kenobi and look forward to Ewan, but I also don't feel like I need to learn anything more about the character.

And it seems like they are really refusing to address post-Rise of Skywalker Star Wars which they will have to do sometime.

The continued churning of the nostalgia part of Star Wars is wearing thin.
Technically, all the characters in Star Wars are already dead
SPOILERS
The Collective
AG
So, basically, most of us want the intro to read, "A very long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I Have Spoken said:

So, basically, most of us want the intro to read, "A very long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."
More like. "Everything happened in this movie so long ago and so far way, we don't understand how you got footage, much less care about these people"
wangus12
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I Have Spoken said:

Same same.

It is really a shame this movie didn't get more love. Sure it was a little on the nose with how manu call backs/origins they tried to fit in but it was a fun movie with some interesting characters.
It got shafted because it followed TLJ by only 5 months and everyone was still mad about it. I really enjoyed both actors.
Farmer1906
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I Have Spoken said:

Same same.

100% Probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite Star Wars movie since the OT.
Red Five
AG
I Have Spoken said:

Agree with this completely. Loved Solo and would really like to see Alden return in more Han adventures prior to the OT. Maybe see some Corporate Sector or at least Nar Shaddaa.
Decay
AG
Okay then they just need to throw out everything and make the opening read "RIGHT NOW in a galaxy far, far away" and bam now you're rockin with Jonathan Starwerse
First Page Last Page
Page 1114 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.