Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,578 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Found this on Anakin's dark robes as a padawan / knight:

C@LAg
bluefire579
AG
C@LAg said:

Gameplay reminds me of Dead Space. This from Gamescom? Or maybe from focus testing, definitely looks like it's Alpha gameplay at best and the person playing seems to still be figuring out the controls.
AliasMan02
AG
Hard to imagine a tie in video game in this day and age.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Sounds like Anakin wanted to be the bad boy.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So what are we looking at here? Leaked development footage? Fan made?
TCTTS
AG
Finally watched the Luke Gallery episode last night and it was so good.

It gave that moment such great context while also making it feel like such a defining moment in the franchise. As if this world (or galaxy, rather) is about to open up with all kinds of crazy possibility. You just get the sense that them pulling something like that off is now going to affect everything going forward in really fun and interesting ways. It made me excited for the future of the franchise in ways I wasn't before. With FOUR Disney+ Star Wars series over the next 16 months - and things like the Ahsoka series coming in the wake of those - I think in we're in for some epic storytelling and some crazy surprises. It really feels like Favreau and co are hitting their stride, about to wow the hell out of us, and that this was the hurdle they needed to clear to really start doing so.

Can't wait.
TCTTS
AG
Oh, and the entire episode felt like a jab at Abrams more often than not. So many interview excepts could be interpreted as, and had the subtext of, "cleaning up the mess JJ made" (including the Rain of it all), just with the most positive spin possible.
jeffk
AG
The part about Hamill being really protective of his character and role definitely felt like a shot at the last films.
redline248
AG
jeffk said:

The part about Hamill being really protective of his character and role definitely felt like a shot at the last films.
Mark is probably way too decent a person to ever do this, but what if he had said "I refuse to play this version of Luke" when he read the script for Last Jedi?
AliasMan02
AG
I love Mark, but he doesn't OWN Luke. He's really important but his vision of the character is very skewed. Remember that he thought in the battle in the snow in TFA, the lightsaber should have flown to him as a grand reveal.
AliasMan02
AG
There's been a lot of social buzz about a Star Wars "What If" show. Not news or predictions, just people talking about it.

Star Wars has this, called Infinities, but I think they could do one better. Why not do EU stories in this format? Do some really deep dives and some favorites. Some good stories would be...

- Splinter of the Mind's Eye
- Infinities: Empire Strikes Back (the best of those I thought), but maybe start with ANH and just tackle one per season
- Update and rework an episode or two of the Droids and Ewoks cartoons, or something inspired by that
- A two part Starkiller/Force Unleashed, especially cool because it's an alternate take on the demise of Kamino
- A Rogue Squadron episode
- Dark Empire
- Heir to the Empire
- Shadows of the Empire
- A Jedi Academy story, though they might avoid this because I suspect this is still coming in canon

This would also be an interesting test bed for new ideas. I think Lucasfilm fears breaking the mold too much, but like... do Dark Empire and see how fans respond to a story about Luke's fall and redemption. See if a story unconnected in any way to the Saga can have legs (we're getting that with Visions a bit).

Would be super fun
TCTTS
AG
Agreed.

And I actually like his portrayal in TLJ, even though it sounds like he doesn't.

In bringing back Luke over 30 years later, they had two options...

1) A mentor and basically the same character we knew from ROTJ, just older. But one who doesn't really have an arc. He's basically just a static, fully-formed, never-changing Obi-Wan/Yoda to Rey.

2) A more disgruntled Luke, one who has turned his back on the Jedi, but a character with an actual arc, who comes to realize a greater calling, etc.

In bringing back such an iconic character, I totally get why they wanted more dramatic meat on that bone. I'm not saying the first option would have been wrong, but I get the impulse to want to give Luke Skywalker an actual arc, and Hamill something to really sink his teeth into.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I love Mark, but he doesn't OWN Luke. He's really important but his vision of the character is very skewed. Remember that he thought in the battle in the snow in TFA, the lightsaber should have flown to him as a grand reveal.

Well he wasn't wrong.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I brought this up a couple pages back with some specific what ifs I'd like but the discussion didn't catch on.
Saxsoon
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I brought this up a couple pages back with some specific what ifs I'd like but the discussion didn't catch on.

What if . . . It had?
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Like what if RJ had never directed TLJ
jokershady
AG
AliasMan02 said:

and if they had actually done that I would have unashamedly screamed like a little girl
SpreadsheetAg
AG
jokershady said:

AliasMan02 said:

and if they had actually done that I would have unashamedly screamed like a little girl

This... and it might have led to an arc where , I dunno, Rey actually had to TRAIN in the force in TLJ?
AliasMan02
AG
And once again the TLJ bashing starts, but everything you're complaining about was done by JJA, not RJ.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Not a big fan of his either... a complete novice beats a trained Padawan turned dark side and further trained in dark techniques ...? Han and Leia on the outs? Han losing the millennium falcon? It all just Happened to connect on Jakku? TFA just being a rehash of ANH? Naaahhhh

Death Star - Goonies with the dagger-map to one eyed willie? Resurrecting Palpatine? Romantic-platonic kiss between friends? Thousands of Death Star lasers on Star Destroyers hidden in a ocean? Hyperspace skipping or whatever? Nahhhh
TXAG 05
AG
AliasMan02 said:

And that would have been a million times better.
dave94
AG
TXAG 05 said:

AliasMan02 said:

While the imagery and feels would have been off the charts, that would have felt very cheap imo.

I agree that the training arc of the sequel trilogy could have been executed way better, but I kinda dug that they saved Luke until the very end of TFA with Rey finding him and going up those steps.
AliasMan02
AG
TXAG 05 said:

AliasMan02 said:

To have a character who had been missing and whose disappearance was the entire plot device up to that time just miraculously appear and save the day?

Everybody's entitled to an opinion, I guess.
redline248
AG
AliasMan02 said:

And once again the TLJ bashing starts, but everything you're complaining about was done by JJA, not RJ.
They both sucked at their job
israeliag
AG
TCTTS said:

Agreed.

And I actually like his portrayal in TLJ, even though it sounds like he doesn't.

In bringing back Luke over 30 years later, they had two options...

1) A mentor and basically the same character we knew from ROTJ, just older. But one who doesn't really have an arc. He's basically just a static, fully-formed, never-changing Obi-Wan/Yoda to Rey.

2) A more disgruntled Luke, one who has turned his back on the Jedi, but a character with an actual arc, who comes to realize a greater calling, etc.

In bringing back such an iconic character, I totally get why they wanted more dramatic meat on that bone. I'm not saying the first option would have been wrong, but I get the impulse to want to give Luke Skywalker an actual arc, and Hamill something to really sink his teeth into.

Not to mention Rian had to make up for JJs decisions (or non decisions) and explain why Luke wasn't there for his friends when they needed him most. The same Luke that had prescient visions of his friends in trouble light years across the galaxy and able to locate them only with the force in a cloud city, now for some reason failed to recognize the dangers those same friends were in. And, that Luke failed his padawan/nephew, and in turn his sister and brother-in-law in such a way that resulted in the deaths of dozens of his other padawans.

I'm not sure Rian had any other path to take.
israeliag
AG
Plus there's such an explicit "break the cycle" approach to TLJ of taking in that the Jedi failed, that the Rebels and Empire kept doing the same thing, that even the First Order was repeating the cycle that made Luke's approach of learning from the past and choosing a non-violent solution at the end that's pretty great.
Dro07
AG
Well there was a disturbance in the force
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CTC_wWYLZXP
YouBet
AG
hunter2012 said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Just watched the making of Mando season finale on Disney Plus. It is as powerful and cool as you could imagine, and the way they kept the secret is fantastic.

Two things that really stick out for me.

1) Jon Favreau's reaction to R2D2 on set was very much mine. As much as I love Luke in that episode, when R2 shows up next to him and you realize that they're still together is the real heart-strings moment.

2) The thing that makes me love Mark Hamill the most is that he calls everything by its proper name. When other people get interviewed about the movie, they'll throw out non-Star Wars terms about things, but he's still out there calling it the cantina, saying he had to meet Grogu because he's the only one with any experience with Yoda's species, and on and on. He's the best.
I don't know this has already be posted, but Luke and OT fans might enjoy this:

This almost brought tears to my eyes.
jokershady
AG
Great news here if true..however if you don't want to watch the whole video, just skip to the 0:39 second mark to watch a very quick but super adorable scene with Robert Rodriguez and Grogu

Dro07
AG
Would love to to see cad bane in live action
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

"I can't say anything about it at all right now, but it's coming out in December," said Rodriguez. "Wait until you see what's coming. It's going to blow your mind. That's all I can say. I can talk it up all I want, because I know it over-delivers. It way over-delivers. People are going to be so pumped when they see it."
bluefire579
AG
jokershady said:

Great news here if true..however if you don't want to watch the whole video, just skip to the 0:39 second mark to watch a very quick but super adorable scene with Robert Rodriguez and Grogu

I like the idea of seeing some old bounty hunter friends pop up. Do we know how reliable this person usually is?
jokershady
AG
I've been watching her stuff just recently. Overall she seems hesitant to relay anything as fact unless she feels it's a good source. There was a video she came out with recently about how it was mentioned that Mandalorian was going to be 3 seasons instead of 4, but was quick to denounce it as unofficial and could still easily be 4 seasons, but gave examples that if they were to do only 3 why it would make sense.

So I guess what I'm saying is..she's nothing like MIKE ZEROH
First Page Last Page
Page 1052 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.