Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,886,882 Views | 43963 Replies | Last: 27 min ago by maroon barchetta
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes you should have. There were "3 original movies"

I will give you 5 original movies if you include "Caravan of courage" and "the battle of endor"
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

You said it's last only because one has to come last, which implies it's good and it isn't significantly poorer than the others.
To you I guess it does imply that. You're free to read into words whatever meaning you wish, but that does not mean anything to anyone else.

AOTC has some good moments. It's not nearly as good as TESB, which has zero BAD moments and is IMO a perfect movie. It's not in the same league as ANH. TPM and ROTS are better as well. ROTJ is 2 parts incredible (Jabba / Emperor-DV-Luke /Rebel attack) and 1 part God-awful (Ewoks).
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Yes you should have. There were "3 original movies"

I will give you 5 original movies if you include "Caravan of courage" and "the battle of endor"
Sorry, I can't go for this. I've managed to forget those bolded titles just like I've managed to forget the "Star Wars Holiday Special".
Duncan Idaho
The boba fett part of the holiday special is one of the most awesome star wars things ever created.
YouBet
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I really dig Obi-Wan's plot in AOTC. He's a detective doing work; it's as close as we get to a "day in the life" of a Jedi out trying to do right in the world. The problem is that by splitting him way from Anakin/Padme you leave them isolated in terms of having a true lead actor helping them through scenes.

Jake Lloyd isn't a good actor, but he had Liam Neeson in almost every scene he was in. That makes you better by default.

AOTC has no Neeson, Palpatine gets just 1 scene with Anakin (and it's awesome), and Christopher Lee doesn't come into the movie until 1-1/2 hours and he gets what maybe 1 scene with Anakin? (the fight) which is also awesome. I know Natalie Portman is a good actress, and I really liked Hayden in the Glass movie he did (can't remember the real title) later in his career, but those two are a struggle together. Wish they had left in the deleted scenes of Padme going to visit her family and taken out Anakin surfing on the giant cow/tick abomination. That deleted scene gives you some quality supporting actors who draw out better performances from Hayden and Natalie separate.

I turned on TPM last night while perusing this thread just to have something on in the background and Natalie Portman was absolutely atrocious in that film from an acting standpoint. A lot of it was the dialogue but man I forgot how bad she was in that.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I really didn't like how they treated Coruscant in the ST. Also, it's nice to see where the Empire is born from, we don't get that knowledge with the First Order (CRINGE).
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

The boba fett part of the holiday special is one of the most awesome star wars things ever created.
Like I said, I have eliminated all memories of what was actually in this show from my memory. I do recall Kenner issuing the Boba Fett action figure some time in 1978, and that created a lot of buzz surrounding the character.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I really didn't like how they treated Coruscant in the ST. Also, it's nice to see where the Empire is born from, we don't get that knowledge with the First Order (CRINGE).
Are you being ironic because Coruscant isn't in the ST at all?
Chipotlemonger
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Are you being ironic because Coruscant isn't in the ST at all?

I wish I was! I was mistaking the planets. Goes to show you how dumb some of the plot was though to the ST.

" In The Force Awakens (2015), the First Order's General Hux, who commands Starkiller Base, has its superweapon fire on the Hosnian system, which includes Courtsilius, Raysho, Hosnian, Cardota, and Hosnian Prime, the capital planet of the Republic at the time."
Decay
AG
Huh. Never realized it wasn't Couresant. Go figure.

Might have been nice to introduce us to any of those planets or people but eh, whatever.
bluefire579
AG
Yeah, I think a lot of people assumed it was (I know I did until I read otherwise). Kind of like how they were tweeting out storybuilding stuff for episode 9 that were pretty key bits of information to the narrative
Chipotlemonger
AG
I am a big Star Wars fan and had NO clue that that was not Coruscant until today. Just ridiculous. Both on me and the ****ty story.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Don't remind me about those tweets
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, Coruscant was going to play a huge role in Colin Trevorrow's version of Episode IX.
Decay
AG
Okay so seriously, even the first 6 movies did the "movie physics" okay. It never was so bad that it broke my brain trying to explain it.

But that Starkiller scene is just stupid in every way. It's not really a "beam"... it's like, a weird death rope? A planet-killing twizzler? It unwraps and blammos all those planets. How do our heroes see it, in real time, during the day? Are they also in that system? Do the writers even understand what space is?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yep. Even though it's all Sci Fi anyways, at least the OT Death Star is way more believable. Just a huge freaking laser ship essentially.
TCTTS
AG
That was the moment the movie officially turned for me. LOVED the first act. Then the sequence with the gangs and those giant squid things aboard Han's freighter was... random... but fine. But I started to get a real uneasy feeling when Rey randomly finds Luke's lightsaber in a freaking treasure chest under a castle bar. And then, shortly after that, when that whole Starkiller sequence goes down, that's when the movie officially lost me. It makes absolutely no sense, and because it's so dumb and over the top, everything else feels weirdly unthreatening from then out.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

That was the moment the movie officially turned for me. LOVED the first act. Then the sequence with the gangs and those giant squid things aboard Han's freighter was... random... but fine. Then I started to get a really uneasy feeling when Rey randomly finds Luke's lightsaber in a freaking treasure chest under a castle bar. But shortly after that, when that whole Starkiller sequence goes does, that's when the movie officially lost me. It makes absolutely no sense, and because it's so dumb, everything else feels weirdly unthreatening from then out. The damage had been done, even if it was damage that was completely context free.

I know we've all discussed a thousand times over, but I still don't get this scene. I've probably just purged the loose explanation of it from my brain.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, the "it chose her" excuse is such bullish*t. I absolutely hate everything about that plot line.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
There was plenty to criticize but I swallowed most of it.

When she "downloaded" the force and defeated the most feared force user in the galaxy, that's when they jumped the shark for me.
Saul Goodman
AG
I know I'm one of the few TLJ fans on this board. My only real gripe about the movie is how Finn and his story was handled.

Other than that, TLJ is the most coherent story of the 3, along with being the best filmmaking of the bunch. Not to mention that the last third of the movie is in the pantheon of best acts in the whole series, IMO. Makes me wish Rian Johnson had done the whole trilogy. It at least would have made a lot more sense.
TCTTS
AG
I... think I agree. Lose Finn and Rose's terrible plot line, and it's a damn good movie, all things considered.
redline248
AG
I posted somewhere in this thread that JJ doesn't understand Star Wars. Apparently neither does Disney, or Kennedy. Even though she worked for Lucas
Decay
AG
C@LAg said:

Decay said:

Okay so seriously, even the first 6 movies did the "movie physics" okay. It never was so bad that it broke my brain trying to explain it.

But that Starkiller scene is just stupid in every way. It's not really a "beam"... it's like, a weird death rope? A planet-killing twizzler? It unwraps and blammos all those planets. How do our heroes see it, in real time, during the day? Are they also in that system? Do the writers even understand what space is?
how does a small planet suck in the entire contents of a star.
the volume is an issue
so is the heat.
and radiation.
and why did it not form a black hole when getting compacted that much.
Hell even If you took a star's "energy" but left the mass there, you just took away everything that was holding it up. Now the star goes dark, all the mass collapses, and the whole thing explodes. NOTHING WORKS
Ulrich
TCTTS said:

Yeah, the "it chose her" excuse is such bullish*t. I absolutely hate everything about that plot line.

It all works if Han and Luke knew Rey. Then the Falcon and Rey are both in the same village on the same planet because that's where Han left them (with the storyline they picked, it's just a huge coincidence); Han stashed Luke's stuff with Maz (that makes sense to me either way); Luke's lightsaber connected to Rey because she had used it before while Luke was training her. The connection is so strong because they knew each other, trained together, she was there at the events she saw, and Luke was probably in her mind to wipe it.

Wiping a child's mind for her own protection is a more sensible explanation for Luke's conflict/guilt than the one we got, which was that a jedi master didn't have enough control over his emotions to resist walking across camp to murder a teenager in his sleep... and then he froze at the crucial moment and got pwned by said teenager.

The training also gives at least half an explanation for why Rey immediately becomes a skilled Force user when her training consisted of being tortured for 10 seconds. Kylo's attempt to invade her mind could have broken the barriers Luke placed around her early memories, allowing her to access her training even if it was only half-conscious at first.

The only problem is that it was all too obvious for the payoff to be a good twist. So they went with multiple dumb twists instead and now nothing makes sense.
redline248
AG
The issue with the lightsaber is that it was lost on Cloud City about 35 years before Rey was born. The change is just that you make Rey Luke's daughter and that's why she's drawn to it.

Nothing else makes any sense.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, but did Palpatine get screwed by a bullsh*t offensive interference penalty on a play that would have otherwise set up a last-minute game-tying field goal on Sunday Night Football in a brand new stadium that potentially cost more than a Death Star?
ski-man
AG
C@LAg said:

Good one. I thought he was holding his hand funky when I saw it
Let's go ski-man!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/star-wars-mandalorian-gina-carano-trans-pronouns-bio-twitter-disney-b436015.html

It never stops.
TCTTS
AG
Utter insanity.
TCTTS
AG
I knew people put their pronouns in their bios, but I had NO IDEA people get mad at you if you DON'T. WTF.
Farmer1906
AG
She wasn't just making R2D2 noises?
Fenrir
I mean this is kind of the natural progression of social justice movements. Trans people start putting their preferred pronouns in their bios. Non-trans people do it in support to normalize it. Therefore over time those that don't do it may end up as being viewed as anti-trans. If you don't support us, you're against us. It's the same bull**** mentality that causes people to believe "silence is violence."

We'll see if she ends up getting bullied into submission like the 21 Pilots guy.
First Page Last Page
Page 974 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.